Quick Squid Sesh At St Leonards

casper

Hi Raiders,

Just got back from 6 days in Geelong, Vic. Was down there for my Bro in Laws(BiL) 40th B'day. So in amoungst all of the :beersmile: was presented the opportunity for a quick arvo session squiding at St Leonards which is located at the southern end of Port Phillip Bay.

My BiL's good mate Chris had just picked up a his new beast - a brand new 5.8m Haines Hunter half cab with all the bells and whistles pushed along by a big 150 Honda Vtec, and asked is I wanted to go for the maiden voyage, there was no need for an answer as the look on my face :thumbup: said it all (And after 4 days in a house with 12 serbs I needed some quiet time!!)

Arvo started off at his workshop picking up the boat - he had also picked up a brand new Nissan navara diesel to tow it! Once the gear was transferred from the old boat to the new we were off!

With a new boat and a new car the first trip was gaurenteed to be an experience - and we weren't denied. Got to the ramp and readied the boat(I must say the ramp was the best I have ever used 4 lanes each divided by concrete strips plus jettys up the outsides and middle fitted with boarding ladders and loading areas - kyeemagh ramp comes close) Chris jumped in the boat to drive it off the trailer so it was my job backing it down the ramp. Backed her in with no troubles at all, but the water level wasn't the greatest so Chris yelled to back her in some more - but the trailer wasn't moving. With the weight of the boat and the build up of soft sand on the ramp the wheels had sunk about 3/4's into the sand. Not being my car/boat and also brand spanking new I handed over to Chris - he slipped it into 4wheel and still coudln't move it in or out of the water. After several tries and lots of advice from some very helpfull fisho's we hooked up his car to another 4wd to tow the both out - It was at this time Chris realised it wasn't in low :wacko: - dropped it down and out it came - (there were a few laughs once we were out on the water over that one!)

Now out we moved over to another lane that was much deeper than the others and got it down no worries - go to release the boat and find that the dealer ship and put everything in the boat except the winch handle :ranting2: after a pleasent phone call later and searching through the car another fisho lent us a large shifter that did the job!

So after all this we finally got out and dropped the handlines over and drifted for calamari, due to the delay we only had a couple of hours and picked up 22 in about 1 1/2 hours - weather was perfect no wind sunny and 13 degress!

So after all the stress we got to baptise the boat with ink and pick up a tasty feed!

Sorry no pics - :wife: had the camera - majority of the squid were perfect size for kingy baits with a couple of larger ones thrown in.

Casper

There seemed to be a heap around as my mate bagged out the weekend before. He said that there were heaps around laying eggs.

Normally they look for the eggs in the shallower water as they will be heap around them, but they were only out in the deeper when we were out due to low tide.

Casper