Goat Island, Sydney Harbour

arpie

Hi guys

Anyone planning a trip to Goat Island in the near future?? I would love it (& be eternally grateful) if you could try & get some good photos of the house my mother grew up in. The public has not been allowed on the island for some years (since WW2, I think), when it became a strategic naval base. Mum visited it a couple of years ago when the National Parks & Wildlife took her there, to pick her brains on her family's life there! She didn't take a camera with her tho & even then, she was not allowed to go into it! Shame!

My great Grandfather was on the Island back in the early 1900s - & my grand father was there untill 1928. My mother & her brothers lived there as a young child & would love to see any photos (if possible) of the house that faces the Harbour Bridge, right on the point above the National Parks & Wildlife Offices there. It was originally built as the official Police Residence. It has a funny shaped chimney - it curls!! That puts it apart from any of the other buildings on the island. It is in between Red navigation triangle & the beacon (it looks like a beacon!) & set back up the hill a bit.

Many thanks, in advance!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

A friend of mine was browesing through fishraider and noticed your post

he emailed me this info and asked me to reply to you with this info as follows

we hope it is helpfull to you

Cheers Warnie

Goat Island is the largest island on Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) and is located west of the Harbour Bridge near to the Sydney suburb of Balmain. There are regular group tours to the island. The Heritage tour include a visit to Queen's Gunpowder Magazine that was built by convicts and see the quarry and "Bony" Anderson's couch. A night tour introduces tourists to the island's colourful and grisly past.

Booking are essential to visit the island and to participate in the tours.

Information of Goat Island can be obtained from the Sydney Harbour National Park Information Centre, located in The Rocks or by ringing +61 2 9247 5033

Hi guys

Anyone planning a trip to Goat Island in the near future?? I would love it (& be eternally grateful) if you could try & get some good photos of the house my mother grew up in. The public has not been allowed on the island for some years (since WW2, I think), when it became a strategic naval base. Mum visited it a couple of years ago when the National Parks & Wildlife took her there, to pick her brains on her family's life there! She didn't take a camera with her tho & even then, she was not allowed to go into it! Shame!

My great Grandfather was on the Island back in the early 1900s - & my grand father was there untill 1928. My mother & her brothers lived there as a young child & would love to see any photos (if possible) of the house that faces the Harbour Bridge, right on the point above the National Parks & Wildlife Offices there. It was originally built as the official Police Residence. It has a funny shaped chimney - it curls!! That puts it apart from any of the other buildings on the island. It is in between Red navigation triangle & the beacon (it looks like a beacon!) & set back up the hill a bit.

Many thanks, in advance!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta,

goat island is open to the public. its the best place in the world on new years eve. get yourself a ticket for 2007 NYE .

they only let limited people on, so its not to crowded, and they have jazz bands, to entertain you while you get stuck into your champagne picnic, and your sitting directly oposite the bridge. without all the overly drunk tourists you get anywhere else

i recommend everyone do the NYE thing there at least once

Edited by CaineS

Hi guys

Many thanks for that info - unfortunately I am not down in Sydney very often & my mother is now 87 & fairly wobbly on her legs. She did a tour a couple of years back & they got photos of her in front of the rear of the building, but were unable to get shots of the front. I was just hoping anyone going past in their boat en route to somewhere else (or fishing the area, if allowed) might be able to snap a couple of pics.

Interestingly, the point of the island is actually a separate little island, joined to the rest of GOat Island by a bridge. THe area is called 'the Cut'. I bet it would be a gun blackie spot, with the tide running thru the narrow channel!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Next time I am out I will take a few shots for you, I need to take a run up that way any way to do some stuff on a mates boat on his mooring, and I have a nice new long lense that I need to try out :)

No guareentees when it will be but hoping for mid next week, work and weather permitting..

Cheers.

Robbie.

You are a legend, Robbie! That is a gorgeous photo!

That looks like it could be the one - I personally have never seen it in the flesh (so to speak!) I will get my Mum to check out this photo. Can't wait to see the others you took!!!

Very nicely 'framed'!! Are you a professional photographer??

Cheerio

Roberta

The more I look at it, the more sure I am!! Mum mentioned the little 'add on' bit on the side - that looks like it there - the metal 'add on'

Edited by Roberta

Hi Robbie

Just got Mum's reply

....Hi Darling, yes thats the house and what a pretty picture of it too. looks lived in with garden seat on the verandah. ...

I know she can't wait to see the rest!!!

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that site - I did lots of google searches for it last week at Mums & that one never came up!!!

Many thanks for offering to take some pics - the more the merrier!!! Mum says she is getting in touch with NPW again!

Cheerio

Roberta