Phospherous

bobfish

Raiders,

Ive been doing alot of night fishing recently due to my increased work demands and in doing so have noticed the large levels of phospherous in the water. So much so, that i sighted a pike a meter before it hit my bait.

Does anyone know the reason for this apparition like reaction?

But more importantly (and this includes you jewgaffer :074: ) how if in any way does this affect fishing?

Cheers,

Bobfish

Edited by bobfish

Raiders,

Ive been doing alot of night fishing recently due to my increased work demands and in doing so have noticed the large levels of phospherous in the water. So much so, that i sighted a pike a meter before it hit my bait.

But more importantly (and this includes you jewgaffer :074: ) how if any way does this affect fishing?

Cheers,

Bobfish

hey mate i read a while ago that the phosphoresants in the water made for good fishing, cant remember where i read it though.

It is called Bioluminesence and here is the link that will tell you how it works :biggrin2:

http://www.microbeworld.org/microbes/proti...lagellates.aspx

Dinoflagellates

Dinoflagellates have long whip-like structures called flagella that let them turn, maneuver and spin about through the water. About 90% of these algae dwell in the ocean.

Some species glow in the dark in a process called bioluminescence. These species contain a compound called luciferin (the same compound found in fireflies). The glow increases markedly if the algae cells are agitated, as when a ship churns through the water.

post-256-1185449555_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

Ive been surfing down at bass point near shell harbour and we paddled out before first light and where surrounded by blue phospheresents all around us!!! Very spooky when your already feeling like shark bait paddling around in the water, not to mention the 3m ish waves as well!!!! Looked really cool though!!!

Raiders,

But more importantly (and this includes you jewgaffer :074: ) how if in any way does this affect fishing?

Cheers,

Bobfish

hi bob i honestly don't know what causes it but i have noticed phosphorous in waterways a helluva lot as most others have also. it would be terrific for everyone's info if someone on this site has fully researched this particular subject or anyone qualified who can can elaborate on the scenarios particularly the interaction of phosperous on the water and marine life

i do know from squid fishing and this is on a serious note bob my friend and the other half of laurel and hardy. no offence bob they were good blokes too.

one summer night up at harrington there was phosphorous literally everywhere but zilch fish, on a manning river backwater jetty which i call the mosquito wharf just at the beginning of the homes at harrington where i was fishing with my grandsons and a group of round the bend kids on a fishing day out when the little rods had drags running everywhere and no hook ups even on little no 8s.

some kid said hey big little mullet. i said don't call me that like the guy in get smart and quitely put on a squid jig and that's what was pulling the rods around. so maybe squid are attracted to it bob

perhaps others would like to comment more on this as it sure is a pretty interesting subject.

cheers bob

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

bob nice you received your new overhead as i had the pleasure of recommending this model to you as a good friend in my reply. your question "what overhead?" = a "dirty big bird" with rear action anti reversable direct overhead torpedo dropper the high pressure fluid drive model (pat. pending) :074: and bob when you look at it mate there's no stopping this baby :1badmood::074::074::074:

:biggrin2:

Edited by jewgaffer

Raiders,

Cheers,

Bobfish

Many,many years ago, my mate's dad used to take use fishing. Ever time there was phospherous about he would take us to Lane Cove Park, near the weir, or to the netted off swimming area at Bobbin Head, and jag for mullet. He always thought that it caused them to swam. There must be something it it, as he always got heaps.

Regards,

Barry

i very rarely catch jews when i fish the Hawkesbury and there is that stuff in the water! In fact i dont think ive ever caught a jew if thats in the water! I hate the stuff!

I hate Pike Eels too! :1prop:

Kamil

me 2, i havnt got a jew in weeks. didnt think that was the only factor

i hate eels also

When fishing with Phos in the water I never caught much to speak of in running water. The disturbance of the line is enough to give the game up to smart fishies. This is not to say that I haven't been fooled into thinking that I had a 1 metre long whiting on the end of my line as they make a last startling run just below the boat.

It has always been there for the 40 yrs that I've been fishing.

Thanks guys, this thread seems to sum up my experiences so far.

There's always alot of bait around like pike, yakkas and squid, which to me seems like a good indication that there aren't any thumpers patrolling around, hence the reason why i haven't caught any :1fishing1::thumbdown:

I might just switch to bait collecting mode next time there is a glow from below :thumbup:

Cheers,

Bobfish

The glow increases markedly if the algae cells are agitated, as when a ship churns through the water.

post-256-1185449555_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

This morning I was down in the Port Hacking and there were loads of little specks glowing.

Everytime my line was twitched all along the line there would be hundreds of little specks glowing, kept me amused while the fish weren't biting.

IFS