Cubing Newbee!

sanger

Hey guys,

We are planning on heading out for a cubbing mission on the weekend and was just wondering how many kilo's of pilchards you guys would go through for an afternoon ( say from 12 till 5 ish)

Also if you guys buy the trap bait for your trails do you buy some higher quality stuff like wa pillies for your baits????

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbee. :1prop::1prop:

Thanks cfd!!!!

Another newbee question, 20 kilos of pilchards is kinda big where the hell do you keep it all????? we have to 50l eskys would that be enough????

Do you guys check the sea surface temperature on a website before you go out? Does it actually give gps co ordinates or is it just a bit of guess work????

Thanks again!

Edited by fishlexic

Thanks cfd!!!!

Another newbee question, 20 kilos of pilchards is kinda big where the hell do you keep it all????? we have to 50l eskys would that be enough????

Do you guys check the sea surface temperature on a website before you go out? Does it actually give gps co ordinates or is it just a bit of guess work????

Thanks again!

theres a site called seasurface.com.au that gives you accurate temp breaks and lets you know where certain water is....and it does give you gps co-ordinates and it is updated regurly throughout the day

theres a site called seasurface.com.au that gives you accurate temp breaks and lets you know where certain water is....and it does give you gps co-ordinates and it is updated regurly throughout the day

Thanks netic,

I have been to this site and was going to purchase a subscription as long as it had gps points.... I didn't want to spell out the site though as i have been busted for doing such things before.

thanks again guys!

mate dont pay $1200 a year for the subscription, if your a IGFA member you get a massive discount

Nah last time i checked you could get a single use for $15

I figure it will give you a start as to where to look and probably save you $15 in petrol driving around to fin any of the breaks!!!

Fishlexic

Depending on the current around about 2-2.5 kg per hr should get

you away........ you need enough to entice them but fall short

of actually feeding them its a balance to learn thats why you

here other fishoes refer to when the pillie starts to dissapear out of

sight you toss another one and so on and on.................

One thing i would advise you to do is make sure you bring the pillies

as close to water temp as possible they seem to get spooked with

frozen or just defrosted pieces been presented and if you dont use

circle hooks...... then give them a go you will never look back as there are very

good for this type of fishing hope that helps. :thumbup: . :thumbup:

Cheers Warnie

Fishlexic

Depending on the current around about 2-2.5 kg per hr should get

you away........ you need enough to entice them but fall short

of actually feeding them its a balance to learn thats why you

here other fishoes refer to when the pillie starts to dissapear out of

sight you toss another one and so on and on.................

One thing i would advise you to do is make sure you bring the pillies

as close to water temp as possible they seem to get spooked with

frozen or just defrosted pieces been presented and if you dont use

circle hooks...... then give them a go you will never look back as there are very

good for this type of fishing hope that helps. :thumbup: . :thumbup:

Cheers Warnie

Thanks mate!

Spent about 2 hours yesterday tying different circle hook and leader strength combos!!!

I only have to sizes of hook 6/0 and 8/0 but i would think that this would probably be ok???????

Fishlexic

Here is what i use succesfully for y/fin and would highly recommend as such so give

this a go and you will not be dissapointed

Hop in and see mrs Watto grab or order in a pkt of 9/0 SSW IN-LINE CIRCLE

made by owner attach these via 80lb ande trace in pink tie the trace to the hook

and crimp the top end with chaff tube

These hooks can best be described as (and with no disrespect)

a hook for dummies they are very forgiving and work extremely well

we also use these for marlin up to 150kg so dont look at them and say

YOUR KIDDING.....if you need more info using methods etc them ask i

will come back

Cheers Warnie

Thanks again guys,

I rigged the 6/0 and 8/0 Inline owner circle hooks with 100lb 80lb momoi leader material!

And a couple with 60lb pen leader in case they get real spookey!

From memory with circle's you leave the fish to take some line then just push the drag up rather than striking?????

My mate is off to buy some trap bait today so as long as the wind doesnt get up to much tomorrow i think i will be about as prepared as we can be! Going to check sea surface tonight and tomorrow before we go out and then troll all morning and start up a cube trail about lunch time and cube for the afternoon. Sound like a descent plan????

Also what radio frequency do all the raiders use to talk to each other when your out???? Someone mentioned 96 but the radio on our boat only goes up to 88.....

Once again thanks for the tips!!!!

So is anyone else heading out tomorrow with the a similar idea????

I know im getting well ahead of myslef but having never had a fish that was worth gaffing yet i have no idea where to put a gaff in should you actually get a chance to chose.... I would imagine that behind the head rather than in the tail would be a good idea????

Edited by fishlexic

Hey guys,

We are planning on heading out for a cubbing mission on the weekend and was just wondering how many kilo's of pilchards you guys would go through for an afternoon ( say from 12 till 5 ish)

Also if you guys buy the trap bait for your trails do you buy some higher quality stuff like wa pillies for your baits????

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbee. :1prop::1prop:

Buy the good stuff for both

thats my opinion

cheers

Bob

Also what radio frequency do all the raiders use to talk to each other when your out???? Someone mentioned 96 but the radio on our boat only goes up to 88.....

Do you know what sort of radio it is mate?

Most of the raiders on here refer to ch 96 on the 27meg marine band. A 27meg radio normally has 10 chanels from 68-98

Sounds like you have a VHF which has around 55 channels, starting at 1 and going to 88 with a few gaps in between.

27 meg emergency channel = 88

86 is the back up can be used if you get no luck after repeated attempts on 88

VHF emergency channel = 16

67 is the back up emergency channel if 16 is busy.

I just wanna make sure you know what sort of radio it is incase you need to call for help you and know the correct channels etc. You might already know this. Im not trying to insult your intelligance, dont take it that way.

cheers

Rod

Buy the good stuff for both

thats my opinion

cheers

Bob

Thanks for your 2cents bob, thats the option we have gone with as we are only going to be cubing for the afternoon we have gone with about 14kilos of fresh wa pillchards!!!!

Do you know what sort of radio it is mate?

Most of the raiders on here refer to ch 96 on the 27meg marine band. A 27meg radio normally has 10 chanels from 68-98

Sounds like you have a VHF which has around 55 channels, starting at 1 and going to 88 with a few gaps in between.

27 meg emergency channel = 88

86 is the back up can be used if you get no luck after repeated attempts on 88

VHF emergency channel = 16

67 is the back up emergency channel if 16 is busy.

I just wanna make sure you know what sort of radio it is incase you need to call for help you and know the correct channels etc. You might already know this. Im not trying to insult your intelligance, dont take it that way.

cheers

Rod

No way you are going to offend me by offering helpfull advice !!!! We just go a sticker displaying all the channels and stuck it right next to the radio so that should be all we need. I think (not my boat so im not

%100 on this) that the radio might be capable of the 27meg band and vhf. Do you guys often report in with coastgaurd before heading out? We usually do this before heading out wide trolling.

Yes I would definatly log-on with a radio base before leaving the heads. Ive never fished Browns before, so dont know which base has the best range out there. Id GUESS Coastguard Sydney or Coastal Patrol Sydney as I know they have good antenna sites.

There isnt many marine radios around (ever?) that do 27meg and VHF.

Go get'em !

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Thanks for all your advise guys!

didnt come to much this time

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23203

But there is always next time. Thats fishing!!!! :05:

When you guys are stripping line with your pillie do you leave it in the rod holder and pull line off with a little drag on in an attempt to stop an overrun if you get a strike or do you freespool it out????

Edited by fishlexic

Thanks for all your advise guys!

didnt come to much this time

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23203

But there is always next time. Thats fishing!!!! :05:

When you guys are stripping line with your pillie do you leave it in the rod holder and pull line off with a little drag on in an attempt to stop an overrun if you get a strike or do you freespool it out????

We put the rod in the rod holder and strip line off while it is in freespool. If you strip it off at an even rate as opposed to yanking it off you wont get overrun. We strip off a bit, put the reel in strike, wait for the slack to, go and then strip some more off and so on. Personally I use gamakatsu live bait hooks in 6/0 to 8/0 for cubing, but have also been using the eagle claw circles of late, both have worked well, with some 80lb ANDE pink trace, either connected to the mainline via a small ball bearing swivel or a special albright knot. With a swivel you will not get line twist, which is good if you are starting out, but if you decide to use no swivel, make sure you yank your pillie off when you bring it in. After a cubing session to get the twist out you can let some line out the back of the boat with nothing on it while you're heading in and that will do the job.

Hope this helps,

Le Pasha

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have been doing some more thinking about chasing yellowfin after our last effort as we will be gearing up to give it another go soon. My next question for everyone is can anyone give me some advice for reading the temperature breaks after getting the sea surface temperature maps. Should you aim for the largest frontal areas of temperature changes ( say water of 2 to 3 degrees difference but of a 30km stretch) or are you better off aiming for smaller boundaries with more temperature difference ( say a boundary of 4km with a 6 degree temp difference).

I have watched a few dvds and read articles like in the latest modern fishing but no one has really spelt out how to use the information on these temp maps properly other than to say look for the temp breaks, or would revealing the next piece of that puzzle be letting the cat out of the bad a little?????

Thanks again for any help guys!!!!! :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Fishlexic

confurgence of differant bodies of water, Current lines, upwelling's and eddies from

under water structure like brown's mountain and sea mounts.......

temperature break's as you say...... but most likely these can be closer to a 1 degree change

bait evident on sounder on surface or down deep..........look for all signs of the puzzle........

They can and do play there part... even when you'd swear everything looks right it still doesn't

assure a result.......one thing is for sure !!!!!!!!! they are very hard to catch when they are not there..........

so up to date chit chat and reports on here off other fishraider's where there are getting caught.......

or going out and seeing other boat's hooked up........ sure can take a lot of the guess work out of

the puzzle........ im sure everyone thought's differ.......... just thought mine may help you............

Cheers Warnie

Fishlexic, when it comes to the question "where do you start to cube" its always a hard answer, and in all honesty there isnt a right answer, everyone will have different opinions and they all could be right...

What i generally do is take a look at the temp charts, like this one from last week.

post-1441-1186981976_thumb.jpg

you can see on that chart that browns is about 16.7 degrees, Just east (14kms) of browns though you can see a warmer patch of water, this patch of water is 17.6 degrees so we are looking at a .9 degree break.......I would bet my ass that YFT if they are out there would be sitting in that warmer patch which pretty much runs very far south.

Now by the time i got out there the position of the warmer water would have change so you only use the charts as a guide.

What i would do is head to browns and from browns i would head east looking for this patch of water, Whilst heading east i would take note of current direction and current speeds.

In most cases when out beyond the shelf you will find a southerly current, sometimes dead southerly, sometimes SE or SW.......

Lets say it is a SW current today...

I would hit the break and then continue on a easterly direction for a few kms and then head north as well....Knowing im going to drift in a SW direction i want to ensure i stay in the warmer water for as long as i can. I will also look for Bird activity, bait balls on the sounder and eddys or anything that may tickle my fancy.

If i didnt see any acticity i would set up shop 5-7 Kms NE of first finding the temp break (thats the point where the temp changed) and then start to cube.

This would probably put me about 20 Kms NE of browns and if i maintained my cube trail without breaking it in about 4-5 hours my trails will be somewhere near Browns but at well over 300 metres deep, SO if the fin are sitting deep my trail may reach them ( this aint fact, this is just my theory).

Then try not to break your trail, it will get boring, You will hear about other boats hooking up, but be patient and keep working your trail, your are in with a good chance and you just gotta be patient, sometimes it will happen in 5 minutes and other times it will take 6-7 hours but when it happens it is all worth it, and normally you will get 1, then 2, then 3 then Pademoniam ( spell check please)....

I personally believe that 80% of game fishing is instinct, they are fishos that have great instincts and see a combination of things in the water and they get a gut feeling that this area wil produce and 9 times out of ten it will produce for them. But until you can develop that instinct you gotta do what i do....be as Assy as you can and hope for the best, and get to know the pro's, These guys can steer you in the right direction as they do me.

Hope that helped.

By the way.....after sending a few mates out into that warmer water last week 1 boat got 2 x YFT in that patch 20-25kg and another boat dropped a fin due to wind on leader failure approx 25kg.......so that are there, just gotta be in the right place.

Netic and ungry,

Thanks for your opinions!!!! Thats pretty much what we have been trying to do but like you said netic you just gotta keep trying!!! I have booked in for a charter with ross hunter in the hope of extracting as much of his knowledge as possible. Again i completely agree with you that you need expereince and with that the feel of where to go will come!!!! Hopefully by the end of the season i will have boated my first fin!!!! In the mean time if i see a day that there are some raiders heading out and my mates are going ( they supply the boat) Ill try and organise to meet up with or at least find out a radio channel to have a chat with some of you more experienced guys!

Oh yeah and we have the vhf radio is that what you guys use??? If so what channel do you chat on, it can be kinda hard to find a clear one sometimes!!!!

Thanks again guys!

Oh yeah another stupid question... are the fin around during summer with the warmer water and people only chase other pelagics like marlin dollies and kings etc??? Or do the fin only come in winter with the more pronounced temp brakes????

cheers again!

Edited by fishlexic

Oh yeah another stupid question... are the fin around during summer with the warmer water and people only chase other pelagics like marlin dollies and kings etc??? Or do the fin only come in winter with the more pronounced temp brakes????

cheers again!

Hey mate, the fin are around in summer just not in the numbers they are in winter, and they are more so a by-catch when trolling marlin lures. Half the time they are just jellybeans which people bridle up as baits for big marlin, but sometimes in the summer months you can hook up to some big fin on the troll, and they are a nice surprise when the marlin aren't biting. Also, I wouldn't say that there are 'more pronounced' temp breaks in Winter. In both Summer and Winter a good temp. break would be a one degree jump, its not so much the break but the lower temperatures suit them better, but that doesn't mean that you won't catch them in Summer, for example one of the club boats this year got marlin, wahoo, and a 40kg yellowfin on the same day in some 24-25 degree water. Something else that you might find strange, look at somewhere like Vanuatu and Fiji, where the water is hot, they are catching big fin in 28 degree water. Just gotta find em mate.