Yft At Browns

Rabs

post-4948-1185533781_thumb.jpg

post-4948-1185533816_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

This is my first report but have been reading with great interest the reports since joining.

Today we fished Browns Mountain - fantastic weather.

The water colour at Browns was okay but a bit wider it looked better and a temperature break appeared as we set up a drift, cubing.

The 50 went off and was closely followed by the 30 on the opposite side. The next hour saw us boat 3 YFT of 20-25kg, drop 3 on 30lb and constantly had fish in the trail. The fish were taking 150lb traces so they weren't very shy and on most occassions would strike the pilly 15-20metres from the boat. The fin were not huge fish but seemed to be plentiful and the bird action around indicated the fish were still present when we packed up and headed home. :thumbup:

There was a period of 40 minutes that whatever was put in the water would get hit, not even allowing for a beer from the ice box. :beersmile:

A couple guys at the ramp who were also at the mountain didn't turn a reel all day. :ranting2:

Anyway, hope this might help those venturing out this weekend.

Best of luck.

Rabs.

I have photos but just waiting for them to be downloaded. I will post them ASAP.

Edited by swordfisherman

For a complete YFT novice, where does one go to get tips, tricks, methods, locations etc....out of Sydney that is. Seems to be Browns Mountain is THE only place, not sure if that's just where everyone goes or if there is no where else to go.

Do you have to cube? what rigs do you use? how do you pick the spots etc etc

Where's the Dummies Guide to Catching YFT...

For a complete YFT novice, where does one go to get tips, tricks, methods, locations etc....out of Sydney that is. Seems to be Browns Mountain is THE only place, not sure if that's just where everyone goes or if there is no where else to go.

Do you have to cube? what rigs do you use? how do you pick the spots etc etc

Where's the Dummies Guide to Catching YFT...

Evanwz,

Chasing tuna is great fun. My advice is read as much and talk to as many people you can. Carefully select your tackle, etc. The mountain isn't the only place, but as the tuna population over the last 20years was wiped out by poor fisheries management, it is only now a good return is being seen. When the tuna return to places like the Peak, etc then many more will experience the raw power of this great game fish. I have been fishing on and off for tuna for the last 20 years so best bet is there is no substitute for time spent on the water.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Edited by Flightmanager

Excellant Work Rabs and great first report especially since the YFT have been hard to come by the last few days. By the way how fast was the drift , it was pushing me 2.7knots an hour on Tuesday arvo. Cheers Dave

Excellant Work Rabs and great first report especially since the YFT have been hard to come by the last few days. By the way how fast was the drift , it was pushing me 2.7knots an hour on Tuesday arvo. Cheers Dave

Dave,

With the sea anchor deployed and a 10-12kt NW the drift speed was 2.1kt. The wind backed off in the early afternoon to less the 10kts.

Cheers,

Rabs.

Rabs good result for a day when everyone else

wasn't turning a reel :thumbup:

Just shows right conditions and finding the right spot

that comes from time on the water

EvanWZ sign up for the Tuna fishing trip on offer

for Raider members onboard Brodbill, Billfisher or Fishfinder

the best $235.00 you could spend if you want to learn how to

catch Tuna from the guys that do it for a living

Just look at Tony Fishfinder with 3 Big Eye Tuna last week

you can read and watch video but it's not the same as first

hand experience to learn the ins and outs

click here for Tuna Fun Day

Chris

very, very good work rabs.

what time did you get them.

Frank,

Thanks for the feedback, in fact appreciate everyones feedback.

The tuna started to come on just after the change in tide, from midday onwards.

Cheers, Rabs.

Chris

Thanks for the tip - I went out with Tony from Fishfinder maybe 20 years ago... very scary..

I'll check it out

Evan

Rabs or is it Brett?,

Well done mate ...Good to see that someone can find them. The tuna fishing is very flukey at present. On Broadbill we have caught two fish in three trips and that's a lot of pillies, fuel and patience burnt up.

Well done to you and the lads . I am looking forward to stretching your arms on a big striped at Pt Stephens '08 :1fishing1::beersmile:

Cheers

Ross Hunter

Rabs or is it Brett?,

Well done mate ...Good to see that someone can find them. The tuna fishing is very flukey at present. On Broadbill we have caught two fish in three trips and that's a lot of pillies, fuel and patience burnt up.

Well done to you and the lads . I am looking forward to stretching your arms on a big striped at Pt Stephens '08 :1fishing1::beersmile:

Cheers

Ross Hunter

Ross,

You've very close in your guess. The older brother in fact however my rob grabbing brother was my other partner in crime on Friday. I think we have a booking in September with you guys.

It was a good day, as I said a bit wider and about 4 kms south of Browns we came across a temp break and the fish. If you call brett he might be able to give you more info, especially if you have charters this week.

Regards,

Rabs.