New Bag And Size Limits

xtosea

Hi All

Don't forget about the bag limits on baitfish, nippers and soliders crabs.

Do you realize that it is now only 100 per person for nippers.

50 slimy mackerel

Just to name a couple

and the NSW Fisheries are out and about checking out bag limits

GB

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never caught a kingie so I dont have to worry yet. All it means to me is my first take home kingie will be a beauty. but if the new limits and sizes will ensure that my grand kids will still be catching fish in the future. I dont have a problem and I will adhere to them. We are still allowed to catch them just not keep them

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

:mad3: I am outragged i know these changes have been out for a while BUT THIS IS BECOMING OVERREGULATED.

I have been fishing for kings since 1982 and their size has always been the same. the kings that school around the heads have always been rats and always will be ( yes u do get some big ones amounst them but their harder to catch and harder to stop).Yes i have caught the odd fish over 65cm but in all those years i could count them on my hands.

There was no need to change the rules ,5 at 60cm was regulated enough. In fact even better you should be able to keep 7 with 2 under 60cm. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT !

It takes me an hour to get to the water and the whole purpose of fishing is to catch food for me and the family. I keep coming home empty handed not because i cant catch any kings its because i cant tell the over 65s to catch me! Fisheries is denying myself and my kids the vital nutrition they deserve.

I am a good decent citizan always doing the wright thing. Yet now if i was to take a 60cm kingie home to feed my kids i would by defination be a criminal and prosacutable!!!!!!!!! :mad3:

Conservation is necessary dont get me wrong . But the fisheries have taken this issue too far.

I support bag and size limits but not over regulation.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a feed . Its time we were heard.

Everyone ive spoken to agree's

Id like to here what raiders think and maybe fisheries may take notice :wacko:

Happy fishing. :thumbup:

Edited by fyshrfoud

• 2 weeks later...

:mad3: I am outragged i know these changes have been out for a while BUT THIS IS BECOMING OVERREGULATED.

I have been fishing for kings since 1982 and their size has always been the same. the kings that school around the heads have always been rats and always will be ( yes u do get some big ones amounst them but their harder to catch and harder to stop).Yes i have caught the odd fish over 65cm but in all those years i could count them on my hands.

There was no need to change the rules ,5 at 60cm was regulated enough. In fact even better you should be able to keep 7 with 2 under 60cm. WHATS WRONG WITH THAT !

It takes me an hour to get to the water and the whole purpose of fishing is to catch food for me and the family. I keep coming home empty handed not because i cant catch any kings its because i cant tell the over 65s to catch me! Fisheries is denying myself and my kids the vital nutrition they deserve.

I am a good decent citizan always doing the wright thing. Yet now if i was to take a 60cm kingie home to feed my kids i would by defination be a criminal and prosacutable!!!!!!!!! :mad3:

Conservation is necessary dont get me wrong . But the fisheries have taken this issue too far.

I support bag and size limits but not over regulation.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a feed . Its time we were heard.

Everyone ive spoken to agree's

Id like to here what raiders think and maybe fisheries may take notice :wacko:

Happy fishing. :thumbup:

A few good points in there.

I too fish for the table, and although I enjoy a good fight as much as the next person, the fight goes from excitement to disillusionment if the fish caught is undersized. I would feel I failed in my primary objective - to provide a fresh fish for the family to eat. Sure I enjoy being out there and playing the hunter game, but if that's all it is, then the wife and other members of the family would see this as a very selfish activity on my part - I get to have all this fun - they don't want to come fishing, and the argument is that I should be doing 'family oriented' fun activities, if I'm not going to provide fresh fish regularly. It creates a downward spiral and a lose-lose scenario.

Yes we should have bag and size limits, within reason.

We can only keep five fish - fair enough.

But if you keep increasing the size limit, and you still get your bag limit, there would be too much fish caught for one person in one day. By the time you get through it, you would have probably caught more kingies anyway, and the frozen fish would not be as appealing as a fresh fillet or cutlet. In any case, you would get sick of eating kingies for every fish meal in a month. Then your focus would go to another species for a while. You say 'well you should let any fish go that you can't eat'. Well if that's true, why not reduce the number of fish you can keep? Crikey I practice enough catch and release with the undersized fish - I have done more than my fare share with catch and release to feel any guilt or try to justify keeping my fair entitlement of 5 fish.

I think that 60cm and 5 fish per person is OK. The only problem is...

Commercial fishermen take large numbers of fish - so a drop in size means they can catch tonnes more fish per year, thus depleting the biomass and forcing fisheries to increase the size limit.... see the problem?

There should be a fair quota system (in KG's) imposed on the pros - reach it and you can't catch any more....but for us poor buggers who count the days to go out and de-stress from the pains in our lives, enjoy the water, catch some fresh fish, satisfy our primeval instincts as hunter-gatherers to provide food for our families, then we should not be penalised by being over-regulated in the way we are being.

Life is a big balancing act where we are asked to balance more and more. If the overregulation causes too much imbalance, then our world will come crashing down.

Did I hear someone say marine national parks for the NSW coastline or desalination plants? There goes our world.... I'd love to see what salinity levels we'll get along the Sydney coastline when the desal plant spews masses of brine back into the sea. Then we'll have the dead-sea marine natinal park - preserved in brine for all to see.

Edited by Keflapod

Have to agree with you guys here. I fish the harbour for kings regularly and this season have caught over 20 kings ALL of them under 65cms. Which means I haven't been able to keep any for the table. It is getting quite frustrating. I don't believe letting all the 60-65 rats go is going to result in larger kings in a few years time, as mentioned earlier we will always have rats coming in the harbour in the warmer months. I only ever used to keep 1 king for the table after a session, a 60 cm king was enough for a good feed. 65cm is not necessary. In the other states the minimum size is smaller I believe maybe even 45cm in some states?? The best known harbour charter operator (has a purple boat) has said that the new 65cm limit is taking it too far, he believes 60 was a good limit, he has fished the harbour for 30 years so knows what he's talking about. I don't think i'll be getting any kings for the table this summer as 95% seem to be sub 65. Might have to concentrate more on getting some other species if i need some for the table... I reckon a bag limit of 2 over 60 would be better.

Cheers

hmmmm havent fished the harbour that much and dont fish for kings much but believe that there should have been a larger limit imposed on a few bread and butter species...eg flattys 36 for duskys is just tiny a min of 40cm would be a bit more realevant and although 4cm dosent seem like much to some they seem to get alot fatter between 36 and 40 from what i have seen in the last few years....also agree with the jew sizes i believe a size of 55 or maybe even 60cm is more reasonable for jewies....

just my thoughts on the subject ......would be intresting to see other raiders thoughts..

cheers flatty hunter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So 50% of male fish breed by the time they are 47cms to the fork, but in female fish, they have to be 83cm to the fork before 50% of the fish breed. Maybe legal sizes will gradually be bumped up?

Some food for thought there mate , very interesting , sounds like it would be good if they bumped it up another 5 or 10 cms and see what happens with the average size , it would be great to have a chance at larger models reguarly .

Bubba

• 4 months later...

I agree with you 100% Flatty Hunter626. The flathead size is too small & as for the jewfish sizes they are ridiculous, you only have to watch the amount of soapy jewfish being cleaned at the ramps by people who think their good fishermen. thumbdown.gif These jews have to be one of the easiest fish to catch1fishing1.gif and are not that hot as tucker until their around 60cm.

Regards Jeff

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Good to see the increase in size ...... the italicised bit is from their website .....
The recreational bag limit for mulloway will be reduced from 5 to 2 fish. The minimum legal length will be increased from 45 cm to 70 cm. The extensive community consultation undertaken by the NSW Government showed there was strong support to implement a minimum legal length of 70 cm and a reduced bag limit.
The new minimum legal length will apply to recreational and commercial fishing. To minimise wastage of incidental catch, commercial Estuary General fishers using meshing nets will have a by-catch allowance (possession limit) of 10 fish between 45 and 70 cm.
A bit weird that they say that the same length applies for recreational and commercial fishos, then immediately make an exception for commercial fishos! :huh: (Only applies to Pro Estuary Fishos tho!) I bet they 'accidentally' catch 10 'undersized' jew on most if not every outing!! Was there a 'wastage' component prior to this size increase? Just last year the Pros up here wanted a DECREASE in size due to the number of juveniles they were catching in their nets ......... smaller than my biggest bream!! <_<
cheers

Roberta