Hawkesbury Jewfish Sat. 28/07/07 Jewgaffer & Humesy

jewgaffer

post-829-1185702538_thumb.jpgpost-829-1185702717_thumb.jpg :1yikes: it might not be quite so timid next time

humesy and i had yet another jewfish session on saturday 29/07/07 and a photo of a typical shutdown day scavenger and the self inflicted wounds gained in its struggle to beat my pair of 10/0s to devour a crippled yakka and seems it's looking almost as sad as me

hi everyone, jewgaffer reporting back to you on a 10 hour jewie session on the hawkesbury while trying to make something good out of another persistent and ongoing southerly influence day.

i made this a point in earlier posts on when not to fish and i make it to remind myself yet once again as i write, that fishing is never much good in ongoing southerlys, still i seem to go back all the same, coz if it does change contrary to or before a weather forecast picks it , i'll happen to be there at the right time.

however to all those with appetites for eels, those other miscellaneous fry pan putrids and the regular free loaders, the reef freaks, these can be your best ever days to target your favourite variety of scavenger sloppies that sneek out of just about every crack and crevice of the deep.

andrew "humesy" phoned me on very short notice for yet another jewie session on saturday.

i went along with that because andrew is a very keen fisherman, a safe and very experienced boatie and a very good thinker, being an intelligent private school teacher who really wants to do his very best to master the jewie riddle.

this occasion was somewhat based on a rather important and so often overlooked factor, one which i myself call the elimination principle because it tells you when not to take your fishing too seriously.

yet again saturday's conditions proved to be yet an another example, not only in the case of jewies but a shutdown day for most of the better species as well.

our session on saturday left a variety of the best baits nicely rigged up as perfect prey for every boggle eyed freak that creeps or riggles out of holes in the ground to scavenge for their survival in utter delight of the misery they inflict on others.

that included poor humesy who was strugglinge to de-bowel a two headed catfish at the road bridge that had swallowed a cluster of treble hooks and tangled all that in its scrotum along with the braid from another three other lines. thanks for taking care of that andrew as i was busy taking care of business and choking a hairtail so he'd let go my last livie

following andrew's and my 14 eel epsisode last sunday in the same southerly influence, which on that day was trying to recover via that shortlived and lousy westerly wind direction, the only any sign of some small change but then simply merging with another more worse southerly front which brought more wind and seas up to three and four metres to boost.

the piss poor westerly swing on " our fourteen eel sunday" only assisted in further decreasing the coastal water temperatures even more, due in reality to being only a cold westerly front pushing in on the river surface from the ranges and western slopes

i pulled every trick to beat the time proven fact that a persistent southern front overrides all the other good factors that can be taken in to account for a top fishing session

you should not take fishing too seriously until the southerly influence turns the opposite way to a northerly direction and preferably one which developes towards an easterly aspect to move warmer sea currents coastwards and take that boost of warmer water and more fish into rivers with each run in tide.

humesy and i were pleased to meet stumpy and doris for the very fist time at a west head bait ground and it was very nice to see a teriffic old bertram cabin boat fully refurbished and shiny like new and to me better by far than most $60,000 new boats and sporting huge twin optimax mercury motors to add. :thumbup: and this bertram is simply the best from the old school!

we said hello to ross and number one son and kingies till i die, who was sporting a thumb up smile and those downriggers wow, and boys, it was great to see the esprit d'corps and the friendships and i hope the hairtail came good on the day and i assure you my soon to be released shoot and release hairtail system :074: will only add less numbers to the mortality rate of hairtail populations

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

p.s. i have included exerpts of a pm i received from humesy this morning:-

G'day Byron,

Thanks again for last night. It was an enjoyable night if somewhat fishless. I am understanding the whole southerly influence shutdown theory. Really interesting that the yakkas weren't biting at west head even though they were right under the boat. The general lack of pickers I am also understanding how each spot works so each trip is a learning experience. Sometimes the learning comes on reflection afterwards.

I think we should go in your boat next time. We will be able to fish on nice tight drags.

andrew

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Jewgaffer,

Yes, unfortunately you were totally right-again. Ross and Myself had a rather dismal session with Joanne catching the only keeper-a squid, and Brett catching a flattie.

Thank you for an inspiring chat at the baitgrounds. I was certainly fired up heading down to Fishraider Bay(JB) My motto for the night was "Think like a fish" Unfortunately this ideal got me in a spot of trouble as I was thinking that the Jews would like a fresh squid to eat. Joanne, however saw it slightly differently. The wrap on my restored Bertie was nice thank you, but unfortunately it was a little chilly sleeping on the nose of the boat when Jo realized that her squid didn't jump out of the live bait tank on its own !

Anyway, being true to Fishraider form, Flightmanager , Myself and crew had another top time on the water.

Cheers Stumpy

Edited by Flightmanager

Cheers Byron,

If I was marking your work, I would say very well done but for the lack of capital letters. Given that you have told me you type with one finger, I will let you off with a warning this time. Love the esprit d'corps, worthy of a french prize winning student from SGS.

Andrew

BTW please don't take my comments seriously (about capital letters). In fact don't take me seriously at all. :1prop: Unless you want to consider me seriously stupid for spending the amount of time I do, staring at the tips of my rods (doing nothing).

Ahh, its better than p*ssing it all away.

Edited by humesy