Blackies

DaveD

Their still around just not on the chew as hard.

Over summer they change their habits a fair bit and you will get them in strange places on different baits.

Last year I landed a beauty on a 2/0 hook with a nipper inside an old oyster lease.

You will still get them at their usual haunts with baits like blood worms but they are more active at this time due to their breeeding cycle.

Dave

i fish the entrance a lot...

with that cold water over summer we had the best run of blackfish i've ever seen and it was in december...

that said, from underwaterfishing, the blackies are always around, but in summer they are usually really active on the inshore reefs... as said above you will find them in strange places in summer....

i've caught 2 crackers on nippers in the racks too

Hi Dave

Believe it or not, blackies are around all year - & on the bite for most of it! I was regularly catching easily up until late May ..... then leading up to the Social in early June, they went on a ' no-bite regime'. :1badmood:

It has been a bit 'slow' ever since! You will pretty well always get a fish, but it may take a bit longer than you are prepared to give!

I caught my biggest ever (45cm) in late November and had been busted off by bigger shortly before!

If you don't have your line in the water, you won't catch them! Some people hang up their blackie rods in Aug & don't pull them out again till late April. Silly buggers! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Give it a go ..... take a couple of prawns as well - if it is too quiet, shove a prawn on & see if you can get a bream!

Cheerio

Roberta