What Gps To Buy?

Nolongeramember

Im looking around for a GPS unit. I do have a boat but I will probably get a handheld unit so I can use it on my mates boats aswell. Are handheld good enough or are the boat mounted heaps better? Are they reliable? It will be used in the Harbour and Botany Bay mainly, but also offshore to locate reefs, fads etc and to save locations that I discover.

I dont know whether its worth getting a mapped one or not. What do some of you guys think, going by what I will be using it for?

I kind of like the Lowrance units are these alright?

Thanks for any replys.

Roylo, the best and easiest ones i have found to use are the Garmin ones. They are extremely user friendly, work very well.

Try looking at The Garmin GPS 72 or 76, the latter has maps. For around $300 they are tops.

Kamil

Im looking around for a GPS unit. I do have a boat but I will probably get a handheld unit so I can use it on my mates boats aswell. Are handheld good enough or are the boat mounted heaps better? Are they reliable? It will be used in the Harbour and Botany Bay mainly, but also offshore to locate reefs, fads etc and to save locations that I discover.

I dont know whether its worth getting a mapped one or not. What do some of you guys think, going by what I will be using it for?

I kind of like the Lowrance units are these alright?

Thanks for any replys.

Roylo

When i was looking at the Lowrance handheld at BIAS they highly suggested the Garmin as being heaps easier in the menu than the lowrance.

I have just installed a Humminbird with a colour sounder and map - and its fantastic. I love it. I have used Garmins in the past and they were very good too. I chose a Humminbird as the local distributor gives them a 2 year warranty. You can get them cheaper over the net (www.bonzerimports.com) but I didn't want to take the risk.

I think having the map makes a HUGE difference. Once you've had one, you wont go back.

The Poacher

I have just installed a Humminbird with a colour sounder and map - and its fantastic. I love it. I have used Garmins in the past and they were very good too. I chose a Humminbird as the local distributor gives them a 2 year warranty. You can get them cheaper over the net (www.bonzerimports.com) but I didn't want to take the risk.

I think having the map makes a HUGE difference. Once you've had one, you wont go back.

The Poacher

Whats the advantage of the map? I dont know, never used one but I mean, if you want to get to 'a spot' the one without the map directs you the same doesnt it? Or does having a map make it easier to find spots?

Roylo

I guess having a map is not so much as helping you find the spot easier

as you say........its also the features that come with it they can come in handy

maybe you might need to come back in the dark or heavy rain and you will be able to

orientate yourself quite easily were you are and with danger areas etc what ever choice

you decide with brand of gps if the pennies allow to include the map i dont think you

would look back............

Cheers Warnie

Whats wrong with it? Is is it just the fact it has no map?

Hi mate,

I have the Garmin etrex hand held, it will do what you want. You do not need a map for the kind of stuff you want it to do, it will do tracks and way points and will get you where you want to be even at night time :)

Trust me, I have very bad night vision and I have relied on this unit more than once to get me to the ramp at night in the rain.

If you want to borrow it and give it a go let me know, I have a new combo unit and I don't use the Garmin any more.

Cheers.

Robbie.

i have a gps 72 and its been nothing but problems, i personally think its worth putting in the extra $ and getting a mapped one, much more useful.

Whats wrong with it Dom? Ive used so many Garmin units and have never had a problem with any of them! Maybe we can help?

Kamil

When looking at the different brands / models inquire about the time ( response) delay for the unit to display a reading in relation to your actual position.

I have a hand held unit , not a brand mentioned above , works OK except for the response time.

Example. Say I was heading for 32.45.100. When approaching , slow down & the GPS is reading 32.45.000.

Still motering along & the next reading is 32.45.200. Do a U turn , go back to where I think I will be close to 32.45.100 & wait for the GPS to update.

It can be rather annoying :mad3:

The GPS is about 7 years old & it has done this from day one.

Any one else have this situation ??

Geoff

When looking at the different brands / models inquire about the time ( response) delay for the unit to display a reading in relation to your actual position.

I have a hand held unit , not a brand mentioned above , works OK except for the response time.

Example. Say I was heading for 32.45.100. When approaching , slow down & the GPS is reading 32.45.000.

Still motering along & the next reading is 32.45.200. Do a U turn , go back to where I think I will be close to 32.45.100 & wait for the GPS to update.

Geoff

Could be to do with "Selective Availability" which was enabled on GPS's until about 2000. read more here http://www.lowrance.com/support/Tips_Tutor...tutorial_01.asp

Edited by achjimmy

Could be to do with "Selective Availability" which was enabled on GPS's until about 2000. read more here http://www.lowrance.com/support/Tips_Tutor...tutorial_01.asp

Jim Tks for the information , read the artical & understand how the accuracy has been improved following the change in 2000 but not sure how this effects my unit & the response time.

In other words , why or how would a change in Selective Availability effect the response time

Is it possible there is a compatability issue between my unit & the data being transmitted since 2000

My knowledge of these things is next to zero so any assistance is appreicated

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Some older GPS only work on 5-8 channels (satellites) and I think they call them serial receivers. Where they read each satellite one by one.

Many newer GPS work on up to 12 channels with parallel receivers. Electronics got more powerful and they can read all the satellites at the same time, and thus give a more accurate and faster reading.

Thats the way i interperate it. You might be able to google on my theory to understand it better.

Typically you need a minimum of 3 satellites to get your position. You need 4-5 satellites to get alltitude and your accuracy (and i suppose response time) gets better the more satellites you have after that.

I have a handheld 6-10 years old with the basic serial receiver and its not exactly fast, but acceptable.

cheers

Rod

There is a new Magellan unit about $1500 I'm told but it is multiple use

This is the blurb from the distributors (nextdestination) website

Changing the way Australia navigates, the Magellan CrossoverGPS takes you over streets, over land and over water, allowing you to use the one sat nav unit for voice prompted street directions, GPS capabilities and topo mapping with 4WD trails, as well as outback tracks, and marine GPS features with marine charts.

Marine Charts

Cross over to the water for a portable, splash proof marine GPS with MapSend BlueNav XL3 Oceania marine charts.

Based on Navionics Gold charts, MapSend BlueNav XL3 Oceania on SD card provides a wealth of information for navigation on the water, including:

Depth contours

Navaids

Port services

View your position in relation to

Navaids

Channels

Moorings

Underwater structures and wrecks

Cables and pilings

*MapSend BlueNav XL3 Oceania not included; cards for each region sold separately.

Other Features of the Magellan CrossoverGPS

Digital Music Player – Play your favourite music through the integrated speakers or on you own headphones (MP3 & WMA file formats)

Picture Viewer – View all your travel shots while you are still away

SD Card Compatible – Insert compatible topo and desert maps, marine charts, music and pictures.

Magellan CrossoverGPS Specifications

Screen Size 3.5”

Display Colour touch screen

Antenna Built in multidirectional patch

Receiver 20 channels, SiRF Star III

Acquisition Time Hot: 1 second, Cold: 40 seconds, Initial: 5 minutes

Accuracy 3 to 5 meters - WAAS/EGNOS (not available in Australia), < 7 meters - GPS only

Operating Range -10 to 60°C, charging temperature 0 to 45°C

Weight 241g unit only, 266.5g with Sport Guard™

Height 8.6cm

Width 2.8cm

Depth 10.9cm

Data Storage Unlimited via SD card memory expansion

Waypoints/Track Logs Option to save to SD card for unlimited memory expansion

Water Resistant IPX4

Battery Source Lithium-ion

Battery Life Up to eight hours

Case High impact plastic

Warranty One year

Ships With Quick release cradle, rubber protection boot, AC adaptor, 12V power charger, and instruction manual

Chris

Edited by Chris 55

Hi Geoff

Some older GPS only work on 5-8 channels (satellites) and I think they call them serial receivers. Where they read each satellite one by one.

Many newer GPS work on up to 12 channels with parallel receivers. Electronics got more powerful and they can read all the satellites at the same time, and thus give a more accurate and faster reading.

Thats the way i interperate it. You might be able to google on my theory to understand it better.

Typically you need a minimum of 3 satellites to get your position. You need 4-5 satellites to get alltitude and your accuracy (and i suppose response time) gets better the more satellites you have after that.

I have a handheld 6-10 years old with the basic serial receiver and its not exactly fast, but acceptable.

cheers

Rod

Rod Tks for your comments. I think your pretty close to the money.

The unit I have is a Magellan 300. I contacted the local agent & they advised it is in essence a technology issue for that style of unit that was released in the late 90's. The unit receives updates every 1 second but the screen only up dates every 10 sec or so.

Went to the boat show & checked out the Garmin 72 & Magellan eXpolrist 100. Both were similar in featuers , price & functionality .

Decided on the Magellan. Gave it a test run on Saturday. Very happy with the performance especially the screen updated which now , in essence , instantaneous.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...