Unbelievable Spanish Mackerel Till You Drop

Martin

While in Darwin recently for work I had the opportunity to go Barra fishing for a day and a day fishing for Mackerel. Both days were charters with everything supplied and very reasonable. I used Darwin’s Barra Base Fishing Safari and Arafura Bluewater Charters. Talk about being lucky these guys were fantastic and all quality gear.

Barra fishing ($270 includes 4 WD transport) was at Corroboree Billabong about 90Km out of Darwin and the Mackerel fishing was $230 with 10 of us on a 42 Precision. Gotta say that is pretty reasonable fishing.

Barra fishing we caught 12 Barra and lost one around the 90cm mark, plus a Saratoga, Tarpon and catfish. On the trip home we counted 68 crocs that we saw on the banks.

While Mackerel fishing we bagged out in the first hour with 2 each and spent the rest of the day releasing them. I kid you not, but at times we had to stop fishing as our arms were tired from spinning and fighting the fish.

If your up in Darwin it is well worth it to fit a days fishing in. If your after reef fish and jews then you need a lot of run in the tide and for the Makerel very little run brings them on. For some magical Barra fishing be there in the run off season Feb March April which is meant to be hot for all fishing up there.

Cheers

post-144-1185924738_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185924966_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925052_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925088_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925157_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925241_thumb.jpg

Nice one!!!

Now that looks like real fishing!!!! My sister is living and darwin at the moment but she doesn't fish???? :wacko: I keep telling her its about time she learnt!!!!

Those mackrel sound like a whole lot of fun!!!!

unreal, i think a trip to Darwin is long overdue. How do the Mackeral taste?

Spanish Mackerel tastes great.

A Fishraider trip to Darwin is not such a silly idea for a group of say 4 or 8 people doing a 2 day Barra Safri and a 2 day Bluewater charter forn Jewfish, sails mackerel and bottom fish. Allow 2 days travel and a day between charters.

You you need 7 days and a few eskys to bring home the fish fillets.

Air fares about $700 return, allow $400 accomadation share room and say $1400 total for the charters you should in theory get out of it for $3000 with some spending money

I have now been up there 4 times and it is truley a great place

Cheers

I'll be there on 2nd Sept. Thanks for the report, now I can't wait and I was excited before!! I've booked in a day with a reputable charter operator targetting spaniards, and have got a pass from the :wife: for a couple of early land based sessions.

Still too many sleeps to count before I go...

Cheers,

While in Darwin recently for work I had the opportunity to go Barra fishing for a day and a day fishing for Mackerel. Both days were charters with everything supplied and very reasonable. I used Darwin’s Barra Base Fishing Safari and Arafura Bluewater Charters. Talk about being lucky these guys were fantastic and all quality gear.

Barra fishing ($270 includes 4 WD transport) was at Corroboree Billabong about 90Km out of Darwin and the Mackerel fishing was $230 with 10 of us on a 42 Precision. Gotta say that is pretty reasonable fishing.

Barra fishing we caught 12 Barra and lost one around the 90cm mark, plus a Saratoga, Tarpon and catfish. On the trip home we counted 68 crocs that we saw on the banks.

While Mackerel fishing we bagged out in the first hour with 2 each and spent the rest of the day releasing them. I kid you not, but at times we had to stop fishing as our arms were tired from spinning and fighting the fish.

If your up in Darwin it is well worth it to fit a days fishing in. If your after reef fish and jews then you need a lot of run in the tide and for the Makerel very little run brings them on. For some magical Barra fishing be there in the run off season Feb March April which is meant to be hot for all fishing up there.

Cheers

post-144-1185924738_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185924966_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925052_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925088_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925157_thumb.jpg

post-144-1185925241_thumb.jpg

G,day Martin, My brother in law owns Arafura, my family and I went up there 2 years ago and we went out a couple of times on Stephens boats. The spannies are unbelievable arm busters I scored 3 in one session and that was enough. Stephen also took us to Cooroberee and we got into some Saratoga, I couldn't believe where he was telling me to cast, right in the middle of the lilly pads, we are going up again next july to see his new boat. Cheers Ray R...

Nice work - Chicken of the sea and that first run is a corker! Miss the fishing in the tropics and the Top End after living in Cairns for 7 years! Not quite the same in Sydney!

Bought a property on Lake Macquarie today and looking forward to fishing new areas on the beaches and in the lake - photos and reports to follow.

Regards

Fishead

"On the trip home we counted 68 crocs that we saw on the banks."

neil replied

"and have got a pass from the wife.gif for a couple of early land based sessions.

Still too many sleeps to count before I go..."

Something says to me that your :wife: may not be as fond of you as you might think :074:

"On the trip home we counted 68 crocs that we saw on the banks."

neil replied

"and have got a pass from the wife.gif for a couple of early land based sessions.

Still too many sleeps to count before I go..."

Something says to me that your :wife: may not be as fond of you as you might think :074:

:Funny-Post::074::074:

Darwin has some great fishing. Went last year. Got a 20kg jew that was 130cm. Got another two on the boat, one went 110cm to the guy in the hat, and the the girl who hadn't been fishing before got one at 115cm that was 15kg. All this in about 30mins, and not more than 2km from the city!! Don't forget the crocs!!

post-5127-1186242220_thumb.jpg

post-5127-1186242505_thumb.jpg

post-5127-1186242521_thumb.jpg

post-5127-1186242543_thumb.jpg