Unfinished Project Boats

AMA-PG

Hey guys,

New to this forum. Found while searching google and started reading.

Alot of members with a wealth of knowledge on this website, which is gives a great oprtunity for the begginers to learn and really get into it.

Currently my father has a 16ft half cabin where we keep it at our holiday house in Jervis bay. The water ways are absolutely stunning down there and the fishing is great.

Although as much as i'd like to go down there more ofter i can't because of work commitments.

I'm looking to invest in a hobbie and maybe start refurbishing a small run about. I have been looking around for a while now to find a nice hull that needs some work.

I'm looking for more of a social speed boat where at the same time can do a bit of fishing. Boats for example like the haines hunter SO or the bullet, both good looking boat with some good handling characteristics.

Do you guys have any more suggestions as to what to look out for?

Also where do you mainly look for boats like these?

Your help is greatly appreciated and hopefuly one day i will see you out on the water... :)

I'm looking for more of a social speed boat where at the same time can do a bit of fishing. Boats for example like the haines hunter SO or the bullet, both good looking boat with some good handling characteristics

Do you guys have any more suggestions as to what to look out for?

Those two boats you mention would typically have very low transoms and it is very likely that you would get water over the stern and into the c*ckpit if stationary in a medium chop or from a passing boat.

Perhaps a compromise would be something like a Haines Hunter "conventional" runabout. There were many models made over the years. V146R, V16R, V17R V19R V445 (describing the boat roughly in feet or meters)

Im not sure what your budget is, some of these boat would be older (say 1974 to 1985) and many people discuss rotten floor or transoms, but there would still be some good original or re-furb'd examples around. Flightmanager on here has a 146R

Haines Signature also made some 1550R and 1750R from about 1986 onwards. A friend had a 1750R with a 135hp Mercury Opti and cleared close to 50 knots GPS confirmed when lightly loaded. It was a absolute buzz to drive.

There is lots of other boats like the Streaker 5.02 runabouts or the Cruise Craft 5.06m Stinger or Chargers, BFG V1700 bowriders runabouts

Also where do you mainly look for boats like these?

Huett Marine in Cowan (nothern Sydney is a sponser on here)

Classifieds section on this web site

Trading Post (print and online) I looked a few weeks ago and there is not a lot forsale at this time of year.

Boatpoint.com.au (they do the trailerboat and trade-a-boat classified publications you see at the newsagents

Ebay, ive never used Ebay as such but browse it semi regularly.

There is a number of magazines out (by Jeff Webster?) Called second hand boat secrets, buying a used boat, Top 100 used boats or something along those lines. If your a new comer to the hobby head to your local newsagents and try and get a copy. It would be well worth the $15-20 to get a couple of the different editions. If you visit a few shops you should be able to find one that stocks them. You can order them from as well, I think the publisher is on the Northern Beaches of Sydney somewhere ?

good luck !

cheers

Rod

Hi Monark

You could always just keep an eye on the streets around your home - you'd be surprised how many boats are sitting idle in the yard, never having been out in years!!! If you spot an interesting looking one, give them an offer they can't refuse!!

Cheers

Roberta