Narrabeen Lake

luderick -angler

Well after 12 months of saying i was going to go up to the lake for a change i finally did it, Mark had come down my way last week for some good blackie action in the Cooks River so i decide it was only fair to make an effort and head up his way. The thought was a rock session in our plans last week but with the seas being unpredictable at the moment plan b was the go (yes we are going lake fishing)

Got to the first spot at 7.30 and did no good for two hours so the call was made change spots got to the next spot and after 15 mins okay were sorted 7 fish in an hour loads of downs 3 dropped fish and then gone! :05:

We found the hour either side of high water was the go when the run slowed.

thanks for a great day Mark, i'll look into a session somewhere in the Georges next week depending on tides and the weed situation.

oh by the way hopefully Mark has a pick he can add to this post.

Cheers

LA :beersmile:

Thanks for the replys there folks, they were fat little un's smallest was 11inches in the LSD scale the biggest was 13 inches, they were either empty in the stomach or full of the ribbon weed? I did go for a wade down the end of Tourmaline Street and the lake is full of the green wire weed (the stuff thata looks reel nice to use except when you pick it it feels like fine steel wool, though its funny most folks won't use this stuff buti have caught very good fish with it down ion the Kurnell rocks when it grows in the swamps in the bay. Another point the weed i had came from the backwaters of Botany Bay and i thought this stuff ain't gonna produce Dad always said the lake weed was the go or the local rock weed, well to my pleasent surprise it worked! Never will stop amazing me with their habits!

Cheers all

LA :beersmile:

Hi LA

Interesting that you found their gut full of ribbon weed - the same happens up here - it is sooo compressed, you'd think they couldn't fit any more in! Don't know how they digest it! I also found some of the wire weed & brought some back last week. It works up here, but not as consistently as the stringy green weed (with nice smell!) A buddy uses it near the bridge here & just drags his hook thru it ( he swears by the fact that it has never been touched by his hand! Holds it by the plastic bag, to drag the hook thru) leaving just a few strands on the hook! Seems to do the trick for him! I prefer the softer stuff that is on most headlands just now!

Yep - the day we stop learning, is the day we die!

Tight lines

Roberta

Roberta,

there's a place dad used to fish up north and you would be on the wall and behind it was a swamp full of weed you would do the exact same thing, i found when i burley you really can't give them too much in the majority of places as all they do is eat it and crap it out as quick as they can eat it, theres only a hand ful of spots i fish that once you get em on the chew you stop burleying or get very lean with it some places you need a 20l bucket to keep them there!

As we keep saying go figure! :insane::1wallbash::1wallbash::1wallbash:

That's strange, the fish that Peter and myself caught the other day were full of really fine black stuff that looked like paste. Bloody horrible actually. I reckon they would have been very happy to see a nice succulent lump of cabbage floating in the water.

Regards,

Lindsay.

Divey,

we get a lot of fish like that in the Cooks and Georges River, me old man reckons its the fish bottom feeding on the silt and mud looking for a feed and the yeare that hungry or scouring themselves out for spawning, we used to get heaps off the sand at Tamarama in September full of sand grit, but you would catch them unconvetionally using a 3 ft ttrace and no. 1 ball sinker with cabbage in the corner where the rocks meet the sand. I will never figure it out! :1fishing1::1fishing1:

Hi guys

You really know it when the blackies up here have been feasting on cunje - their gut is absolutely horrible!! Stinks something horrible as well & very messy, if you gut them..... almost enough to turn you off from looking!!! I really likeit when you get the big silver sea run blackies. They usually have feasted on fresh cabbage & relatively clean gut.

See ya - hoping things hot up here over the next week!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Divey,

we get a lot of fish like that in the Cooks and Georges River, me old man reckons its the fish bottom feeding on the silt and mud looking for a feed and the yeare that hungry or scouring themselves out for spawning, we used to get heaps off the sand at Tamarama in September full of sand grit, but you would catch them unconvetionally using a 3 ft ttrace and no. 1 ball sinker with cabbage in the corner where the rocks meet the sand. I will never figure it out! :1fishing1::1fishing1:

g'day La i fish the same way at mona vale where sand meets rocks when its rough 2hrs either side of the high use a running sinker []flat lead 1/2 inch x1/2 with hole in the top] to stop snags it planes to the surface when you wind in :thumbup:

peter

We've had reports back from divers that there are huge schools of biiiig blackies sitting off the main headlands here, too! Can't wait for them to come into the system. It was Aug last year when they were in the estuary in numbers!!

Pete's method of the little bit of square flashing with a hole drilled in the middle sounds fascinating! I will definitely give that a go & add a few to my regular 'kit'! He even catches then in the corner of the beach where a gutter froms, with the sand butting up agains the rocks. Brilliant!

Cheerio\

Roberta