Ever Tried Making Some Biltong?

arpie

Hi Guys

Ever tried fair dinkum Biltong?? The yanks call it Jerky, but it is soaked in something like BBQ sauce & is very sweet. I only use ground pepper, rock salt, crushed coriander seeds & apple cider vinegar.

It is yummy & so easy to make. Just takes a 4-5 days of the house smelling a bit 'meaty', which is why I am doing it whilst the other half is away!! He loves eating it, but doesn't like the smell whilst it cures!

You start off with 5kg meat (rump was cheap this week at $6/kg!) & end up with about 2kg of Biltong! I usually vacuum pack it when it is ready, so that I don't have to refrigerate it all. Mind you, doesn't take long to chew your way thru it!! Then again, it shouldn't be too chewy - if you cut the meat with the grain & cure it, you then cut it across the grain to eat it! Nice & tender!

Here is my 'biltong tree' - in the kitchen downstairs!

post-2231-1186048971_thumb.jpg

Here is a closeup

post-2231-1186049199_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

I've already taste tested some of the 'baby sized' bits - and it is only 24hrs since I hung it! Very creamy!

Edited by Roberta

Yep, I love Biltong Roberta!

When we travelled through South Africa I tried it for the 1st time & loved it. Some of the :wife: relos taught us how to make it. :thumbup: You've got me pumped to do another batch.

It's a bit different than Jerky. The Yanks sweeten that & I reckon that it's not a pinch on the real thing.

Mmmm, Biltong & :beersmile: go so well together. Our tree looks very similar to yours when we make it. :1prop:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Guys

Ever tried fair dinkum Biltong?? The yanks call it Jerky, but it is soaked in something like BBQ sauce & is very sweet. I only use ground pepper, rock salt, crushed coriander seeds & apple cider vinegar.

It is yummy & so easy to make. Just takes a 4-5 days of the house smelling a bit 'meaty', which is why I am doing it whilst the other half is away!! He loves eating it, but doesn't like the smell whilst it cures!

You start off with 5kg meat (rump was cheap this week at $6/kg!) & end up with about 2kg of Biltong! I usually vacuum pack it when it is ready, so that I don't have to refrigerate it all. Mind you, doesn't take long to chew your way thru it!! Then again, it shouldn't be too chewy - if you cut the meat with the grain & cure it, you then cut it across the grain to eat it! Nice & tender!

Here is my 'biltong tree' - in the kitchen downstairs!

post-2231-1186048971_thumb.jpg

Here is a closeup

post-2231-1186049199_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

I've already taste tested some of the 'baby sized' bits - and it is only 24hrs since I hung it! Very creamy!

hi roberta you've got my mouth watering sounds yum :yahoo:

love a sample next time your down in sydney :biggrin2:

peter

Hey Grant! Isn't it yummy? When we were in Capetown 2 years back, I tried it from many different sources! Ostrich, kudu to name but 2 (as well as ordinary old beef as well!) Keith tried some in Florida this week & threw it away!! Horribly sweet. Just looking at how much it has shrunk already, I wish I'd got 2 rumps!!! Do you soak yours in brine, or just sprinkle a bit of rock salt on each layer? Do you use coriander or other herbs? The first bit I tried must have had all the salt on it! Hopefully the rest won't be so bad!!! :(

Hi Peter I will be dropping a bit off to Cam next Fri on my way to picking up Keith from the airport, so will give you a bit as well!!! I will give you a yahoo when near Narrabeen! Lindsay said he would try & score some cabbage & green weed for me when I get down there!! Unfortunately, it will be a flying visit - I know Keith will be itching to get home straight away ..... may be able to toss a line in from the shore tho!!

Who else has made it & what is your recipe??

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

OH! Yumo!

Can you put some more info up on that i wanna give it a go. How thick, how much salt peper ect, does it need realy low humidity to cure, brine or rock salt, how long to soak and when do you know it's ready, ect ect. Thanks

Lata Raida

Waynie

Will do Waynie - I'll whack it in the recipe section & then others can add their own version as well!! Give me a day or so to write it up .... don't want to miss out any important steps!

Cheerio

Roberta

PS This time of year is great to do it - less humidity!

Roberta,

I would be careful leaving the fat on the meat as it can go rancid, you can speed up the process by putting the meat on racks and placing it in the oven on the lowest heat setting and leave the door slightly open.

Some people simply soak the meat in soy and then curing also cut the meat as thin as posible.

You can also buy dehydraters, and use them, they blow warm air thru the racks

My trade is a meatoligist some call us Butchers.

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

Hi Pete

Thanks for that - I only left the fat on a few bits & usually chop most of it off anyway, before eating! A tiny bit left on can be realllllly nice! Usually it all gets eaten pretty fast so doesn't go off!! I also vacuum pack some for later!

I used to do it in the oven, but my Zim & SA friends called it 'fake' so now I do it the right way! It doesn't take long at all to dry out, so long as there is just air movement. I tried it out on the verandah last time, but didn't like how it went. Just now (low humidity) is the perfect time to do it. Using one fan (to keep the air moving) is usually sufficient, but I have 2 on this time & it is drying out double quick! Just means I can eat it earlier :1prop::yahoo: Also means I will probably have to make another lot before Keith gets back! :thumbup:

I usually slice my meat between 1 - 2cm thick - if you slice it too thin, it can actually go brittle & won't slice nicely. I prefer it so it is still ever so slightly red in the centre - it is just so creamy! Because you slice the meat along the grain (as against steaks for eating usually cut across the grain) it actually dries thinner again! Then using a sharp Swiss Army Knife (the best cutter of biltong!) cut thin slices across the grain & munch! I think the yanks just leave it in longer strips & chew bits off. Good if you have strong teeth & aren't worried about breaking them! Also makes you appreciate each slice!

Once you start eating it, you can't stop!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Deer & roo meat would be great!! Really Lean & very much like the wild animals they use in South Africa & Zimbabwe. It also has that 'gamey' flavour that only wild game can give! Plenty of wild deer up here in the hills behind Coomba Park .... hmmmmm

Here 'tis - give it a go!!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...mp;#entry186839

Let me know how you go!! Even better, send me a bit of your first effort!! I'd love to try it!

Cheerio

• 3 years later...

Okie dokie, time to bring Biltong making into the 21st Century ..... this time using my dehydrator!!! Cuts drying time down from 4-7 days, to about 1-2 days!! Just as nice too!!

The thinner slices are ready in about 8hrs (using the lowest setting.) They actually recommend using the highest setting in the booklet, but that would be a bit too high, I think! Some of my slices were quite a bit thicker than they probably should be, so will be in the dehydrator for a bit longer! Mind you, it is SO tender when there is some 'moist stuff' in the middle! :1prop:

post-2231-096184200 1287379034_thumb.jpg

This is what I call 'just right' - hard on the outside, just soft on the inside & when you cut slices of it across the grain, it is SO creamy when you chew it!! :thumbup:

post-2231-069948900 1287379101_thumb.jpg

Ready to store! I will try a few different ways - vacuum packed between sheets of glad wrap, some frozen, some wrapped in paper bags .... just to see how they go!! (before all being eaten!! :yahoo: )

post-2231-024901300 1287379210_thumb.jpg

Even Keith has been nibbling on some bits!! He prefers his without the coriander seeds on it tho! :wacko: He has put in a special order for 'plain biltong' next time!! :biggrin2: At least, this time, he said 'next time'!! Last time, he hated the smell of it drying!! :tease:

Cheerio

Roberta

i use my dehydrator to make mine too, BBQ sauce with mint viniger is nice and i also do some in the "dry rub" style. just rub some of your favorite spice mix's on the meat before dehydrating, lemon basil and thyme, smokie BBQ seasoning and chilli are my three favorites just dont go overboard with the spices as the flavours seem to come out stronger.

Hi Brian

Do you still do the salt & vinegar bit and/or pepper? I forgot the pepper this time! :wacko: Doesn't seem to have made too much difference tho. I also added some bicarbsoda to it - supposed to make it more tender - and I must admit, I believe it IS! Tho, I suppose, it could have been a nice lot of meat also, as it was a whole rump. :1prop:

Keith thought I put too much coriander in this lot & has madly been rubbing it all off!! He also doesn't like it 'soft' in the centre. How thick do you slice yours? I think some of mine were a tad too thick this time, but gee, the centre is creamy!

CHeers'

Roberta

hi roberta about 2 months ago i p.m you about some imfo on your dehydrator 'i have since purchased on off the net and i am about to make my third batch 'you are right it does not last long 'all my inlaws love it and they are now placing orders for more . thanks for your advice its a great thing to do on rained out days cheers ray

Hi Brian

Do you still do the salt & vinegar bit and/or pepper? I forgot the pepper this time! :wacko: Doesn't seem to have made too much difference tho. I also added some bicarbsoda to it - supposed to make it more tender - and I must admit, I believe it IS! Tho, I suppose, it could have been a nice lot of meat also, as it was a whole rump. :1prop:

Keith thought I put too much coriander in this lot & has madly been rubbing it all off!! He also doesn't like it 'soft' in the centre. How thick do you slice yours? I think some of mine were a tad too thick this time, but gee, the centre is creamy!

CHeers'

Roberta

i don't do salt and viniger i think the salt toughens it up i use a cheap and nasty ($30 off the net) electric slicer to cut stips about 1/2 cm thick.

i cant remember the cut of meat i use but it's the belly flap of beef, my local butcher makes his own too and put me on to it, its about $3 / kilo and after about half an hour in the freezer it slices nicely and has little fat content.

another great use for your dehydrator is to peel core and puree apples then pour the puree on grease proof paper and dehydrate for roll up type snacks.

Ambrosia !!

As an ex- japie, I make it from time to time, (mainly because I can't afford too much of the bought stuff).

Recipes are many and varied, and often fiercely guarded. Basics in process are:

Good quality meat

Cut in reasonably thin triangular strips, WITH THE GRAIN. Take care to cut within the muscle bundles, so as to minimise the amount of sinew and connective tissue.

A layer of fat, (even rancid!) is often preferred as typical.

Laid down in brine, to draw moisture out of the meat. This can be prepared brine, but is more usually coarse salt layered with the meat strips.

Seasoning, (many and varied, but with coarse ground coriander and black pepper as the main components) would also be added during layering.

Length of brining varies with different styles. I usually do this in evening, and leave to next morning. You want high salt levels on the meat surface, but not too salty to eat. Pour off the "juice" whch will have extracted, and shake moisture off before hanging up to dry.

At the time of layering, also dip the strips in, (or sprinkle over) vinegar. This can be fancy, to add to taste profile, or basic cheap stuff. Principal function is to ensure the meat surface is low pH (acidic), as this prevents micro or mould growth during the drying process, in conjunction with the surface salt.

Traditionally made in dry warm climate, problems with spoiling can occur during cold weather, (too slow) and humid summer, (slow, and speedier bug growth). Best if you have a breezy location, away from direct sun.

Dehydrators work, as does the oven dry method, but to a traditionalist will give a "cooked" note that is not ideal.

I use a simple homemade drier. MDF box about 1m a side. False floor with a 60 watt bulb, and a computer fan to ensure a draft of low humudity air over the hung meat. Flywire to keep crawlies out. 3-5 days, usually, depending on season, and preferences of how moist you like the finished product.

Hmmm....... guess that means I should start up again????????

My 2c anyway.

Alastair

Thanks guys - good to hear you are going so well with yours, Ray!! :thumbup:

Absolutely, Alistair!! Make a batch & we should send each other a piece for 'comment'!! I was with a bunch of mad kayakers up at South West Rocks in Feb this year & took up some of my biltong & Sth African chap (who hooked a marlin in HIS yak) voted mine ahead of my other buddy (who hooked & landed an 80kg marlin in his yak 2 years ago ...... see game reporst - it is stickied) He had also made some, but dried it out too far & it was crisp!

He, he, there are a few Fishraiders who make Biltong - we could have a 'cook off'!!??

CHeers

Roberta