Snapper Down South On Broadbill

Ross Hunter

We fished our favourite grounds at Stanwell yesterday....Having trolled in close on the way we caught two salmon and a kingy, it is a great way to travel, slow trolling in close just taking in the magnificence of the beautiful National Park.

My crew headed up by Mike Lysacht were bright eyed to catch some good reds and I must admit, I was likeminded in the same thought.

The wind was steadily picking up and by the time we reached Bolgo we had 25 to 30 out of the sou' west

"mmmm interesting I thought to myself" I knew our options were going to be limited by weather and wind.

There were white caps everywhere and at times the wind would gust up covering all in the cockpit with light salt spray.

Upon reaching Thirroul we tried a drift but at 2.5 knots with the wind we could not hold bottom in 25 metres.

So we anchored and straight away it was so much nicer, the sun in the cockpit and the engines off.

We catch 6 reds, but no size then on came the jackets.

"Ok soxie let's go" I beckoned to my trusty deckie. We raise the anchor with the bouy system and we head for deeper water, where hopefully there will be no jackets( I hate them Can't we introduce a jacket toad like the cane toad and eradicate them?)

Soxie expertly gets the pick in at 60 metres (wind still 20 to 25) and we have another go.

Ah! success at last as Joe and Mike both get snapper on floaters Things are looking up as I too score.

It was young Luke who was celibrating a birthday( not sure which one maybe 12 I think) who hooks gets tight on a reasonable snapper The lad played the fish like a veteran to fnally land a nice snapper.

post-256-1186279686_thumb.jpg post-256-1186279789_thumb.jpg

We pulled stumps at 3 pm and headed home with the sea and wind

The lads were good fisherman and fished hard all day for their snapper and associatted other catch.

We all had agreat day despite the windy and cold conditions.....

FOR TIPS ON SNAPPER HOW TO CATCH AND GREAT PHOTOS GO INTO www.gamefishingcharters.com.au..................FISHING STORIES and HINTS section It is worth a look and if you are serious about snapper it is the system that catches the big boys.

cheers

Ross Hunter

wow . . . looks like a lot of raiders are in a bit of a conundrum

whether to target big reds or nail some yellowfin!

Ross, how did you manage to fish floaters when the current and wind where so strongly opposed?

nath,

They were not opposed the current is almost non existant down there...that did help

Ross

wow . . . looks like a lot of raiders are in a bit of a conundrum

whether to target big reds or nail some yellowfin!

i was thinking the exact thing.

im so confused at teh moment.

nice work Ross

Edited by frankp