The Wreck & Longreef 7/8/07

sanger

Hey guys,

Left the boat ramp about 6 after a quick chat to fello raider michael.... Sorry mate your Raider name escapes me. Went straight to north head to get some livies. About 15 yakkas and 1 pike on board so off to the wreck to put some down in the hope of a winter king...... after positioning the boat perfectly over the wreck the sounder is full but no big arcs and no luck other than a couple of sweep and other unwanted bycatch.

Time for plan b, we headed in towards longreef with the idea of trolling the headland or drifting for snapper. On the way we spotted some birds working the surface and were delighted to see they weren't the only things. Cast a few slugs out and both of us got snapped off after some pretty nice takes. Think these may have been large tailor. We tied on again and the sambo madness started!!!!! Over the next hour or so aproximately 25 to 30 salmon where boated with all but 6 released. We were using light gear so it was alot of fun, and there where a few fish lost after some aerobatics or just a solid run! Spanyid lures did most of the damage along with a couple sure catch lures to back it up in sizes from 15g up to 65g's. I tied on a popper for a while but they weren't interestead.

While we were fishing we had some fighter jets do a fly by that would have been only 50 metres above us as we could see the pilots faces!!!!! The other little side show we had was a seal off fairy bower ripping into what was either a very large fish or another small seal i wasn't really sure. The planes were to quick for a photo but the seal wasn't. All in all a pretty nice day on the water!!!! The shot of the seal was what was left after about 10 minutes of ripping the carcas to pieces!!!!!

post-4037-1186473879_thumb.jpg

post-4037-1186473894_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishlexic

mate that sounds like an awsome fishing trip was had, man i wish i was there i love catching sambos great pics too, love the seal in the action shot.

Was about time we got into something other than bait fish!!!!! Mate on light tackle sambos are a pour mans kingfish with the way they fight.... Its great fun!!!!!

Fishlexic

looks like you've got yourself some nice fish cakes

there boy's...............well done

it seem's sammy loves them as well..... :yahoo:

Cheers Warnie

i've got a guy here at work who always smokes mine.. they taste great not as good as the normal smoked sambo....

Nice report mate, sounds like a perfect winters fishing day!

Also good to see the sambos finally show there faces on the surface & feeding on real baitfish rather than those bloody 'eyes' :tease:

Edited by KingsRule

Hey guys,

Left the boat ramp about 6 after a quick chat to fello raider michael.... Sorry mate your Raider name escapes me. Went straight to north head to get some livies. About 15 yakkas and 1 pike on board so off to the wreck to put some down in the hope of a winter king...... after positioning the boat perfectly over the wreck the sounder is full but no big arcs and no luck other than a couple of sweep and other unwanted bycatch.

Time for plan b, we headed in towards longreef with the idea of trolling the headland or drifting for snapper. On the way we spotted some birds working the surface and were delighted to see they weren't the only things. Cast a few slugs out and both of us got snapped off after some pretty nice takes. Think these may have been large tailor. We tied on again and the sambo madness started!!!!! Over the next hour or so aproximately 25 to 30 salmon where boated with all but 6 released. We were using light gear so it was alot of fun, and there where a few fish lost after some aerobatics or just a solid run! Spanyid lures did most of the damage along with a couple sure catch lures to back it up in sizes from 15g up to 65g's. I tied on a popper for a while but they weren't interestead.

While we were fishing we had some fighter jets do a fly by that would have been only 50 metres above us as we could see the pilots faces!!!!! The other little side show we had was a seal off fairy bower ripping into what was either a very large fish or another small seal i wasn't really sure. The planes were to quick for a photo but the seal wasn't. All in all a pretty nice day on the water!!!! The shot of the seal was what was left after about 10 minutes of ripping the carcas to pieces!!!!!

Nice catch there man. Those salmon are awesome fun on light gear arnt they?

How many of you were fishing in the boat?

Did you get a look at the size/type of baitfish they were feeding on? Just curious because the salmon we get inside at this time of year ignore metals.

Nice catch there man. Those salmon are awesome fun on light gear arnt they?

How many of you were fishing in the boat?

Did you get a look at the size/type of baitfish they were feeding on? Just curious because the salmon we get inside at this time of year ignore metals.

Hey Roylo,

There were 2 of us in the boat with one other boat and a yak! Didnt see the fish they were feeding on but the sambo's inside the harbour have been ignoring our metals to, They have been taking fly's though!!!!

Nice catch - those salmon would have been great fun!

There are quite a few large cuttlefish carcasses floating around out there - maybe the seal was munching one of these?

Hey mate,

we have seen heaps of these large cuttles, Wasn't one of those. It really looked like a big king or salmon.... It was at least 90cm though so i reackon to big for a salmon!!!!

Would have been interesting if you

put one of your smaller sambos' out as a live bait

and landed that meter odd KING that the seal got.

Not a bad idea. I was in NZ a couple of months ago, and of course, bought every fishing magazine there I could get my hands on. The point is, every single big king in those mags (in NZ, that's 20 kg plus) was landed on a 1 - 2 kg kahawai (salmon) live bait. Squid was also used, but generally accounted for much smaller fish. Not sure why we don't follow their cue.

Ive actually got a few more photo's of the seal and a couple of little videos if anyone is interestead. No more room on this post for me to add more pics so ill have to email them. PM me and ill see what i can do!

Ive actually got a few more photo's of the seal and a couple of little videos if anyone is interestead. No more room on this post for me to add more pics so ill have to email them. PM me and ill see what i can do!

Yeah fishlexic,

I'd love to see the vis and photo's.

I am interested to see if that seal is into the fairy penguins. Not being gory, but that would account for it looking like a small seal.

Arch

Yeah fishlexic,

I'd love to see the vis and photo's.

I am interested to see if that seal is into the fairy penguins. Not being gory, but that would account for it looking like a small seal.

Arch

It was to big for a fairy. Remember to that we were about 100m away when we saw the comotion with all the birds so by the time i got close enough to snap some pics what ever it was was half gone!!!!

pm me your email adress and ill send some on!