Quick Sesh

humesy

Howdy,

Disappeared into the bush to fish upstream of Middle Harbour yesterday afternoon, in pursuit of Jewies. It is late in the year but I have figured out the prime times as being autumn into winter, new moon and calm, high pressure evenings. The surface action will tell you if they are around or not. I couldn't tell if they were yesterday. There was some feeding activity with bait fish scattering on the surface and I had some sharp hits on a HB Halco lure. Also had a good follow with two loud boofs. No hookup unfortunately which was disappointing. The only fish I know that inhabit the area are the usual estuary suspects. (tailor, bream, flatties and jew). Anyone like to speculate on what caused the boofs?

Did manage to land a small flattie of around 35cm. I think they might start to stir up a bit in the shallows after long, warm, sunny days.

Nice night and not too cold either.

Cheers

PS if anyone is venturing into the bush up in those parts, beware of ticks. They are a bit rampant it seems.

Edited by humesy

mate going up the coast on sunday afternoon/night off the beach for jewies. ill post how we go.

how do you get to the spot you are talking about?

Howdy,

Sorry but this is one spot I am protective about. I go there for peace and quiet and to escape from work. There is plenty of access to good water from the Davidson national park though. Look for the surface fish and chuck in a lure.

Good luck up the coast.

Cheers

Howdy,

Disappeared into the bush to fish upstream of Middle Harbour yesterday afternoon, in pursuit of Jewies. It is late in the year but I have figured out the prime times as being autumn into winter, new moon and calm, high pressure evenings. The surface action will tell you if they are around or not. I couldn't tell if they were yesterday. There was some feeding activity with bait fish scattering on the surface and I had some sharp hits on a HB Halco lure. Also had a good follow with two loud boofs. No hookup unfortunately which was disappointing. The only fish I know that inhabit the area are the usual estuary suspects. (tailor, bream, flatties and jew). Anyone like to speculate on what caused the boofs?

Did manage to land a small flattie of around 35cm. I think they might start to stir up a bit in the shallows after long, warm, sunny days.

Nice night and not too cold either.

Cheers

PS if anyone is venturing into the bush up in those parts, beware of ticks. They are a bit rampant it seems.

Andrew that's great you are starting to look (around) and think like a fish :thumbup:

I tell you what Andrew looks like you found some pretty good signs for good fish to be far up in the backwaters where the water is far warmer out of the currents.

Yes, Yes it's taken a while to hit my skull as I've not considered that for quite a few years in the Hawkesbury, but this winter you may well have scored a bull's eye, seeing skipping baitfish up there mate.

Got me thinking now maybe the jews are gathered in communes way down the bottom of Pittwater right now in places like Scotland Island and Church Point and the marinas.

I've given some thought to those possibilties Andrew. It's often happened before in slack winters like this in the hawkesbury just as it happens in lot's of other river systems and a chap did very well a fair way down the lower Georges River on the weekend before last.

It started me thinking again when Stewy pointed to a dirty big drain opening early yesterday morning which was filled with tidal water alongside Brooklyn wharf where we were boarding the boat and talking about our live bait for the day.

Also Andrew I know my favourite big torch is safe in your boat but don't let those big wood ticks run off with it while your asleep when you finally collapse after relentlessly casting out lures :074:

Show then no mercy Andrew :1yikes:

Kind regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Andrew,

So you ventured up to your spot eh!

Some big jews certainly hang out there at times no doubt.

If you can find that nice drop off in the bend of the water and if the mullet are hanging around i have seen footage of jews being taken one after the other.

Mate i seem to have recovered somewhat and might consider one last fish before hitting the snow.

Cheers Mate. Ps How did ya go on Friday????

you already know the answer 0

:05:

have faith yes dear. you are sounding like deschanel now. i will keep trying till i die and hopefully will catch my big jewie off beach one day soon.....hopefully this sunday (weather permitting :1badmood: ) i got the parents to even look after pumkinseed for that afternoon/night.

:fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1: