One Handed/disabled Fishing

nargse1

Hi all,

my father has a friend who they used to fish alot together throughout the years. he had a stroke a few years back and has lost the use of basically the whole right hand. :( he would be able to hold a rod in the right hand if put in there and wind with the left.

they are keen on going out and joining a club (deep sea/off shore mainly)

i was wondering if anyone knows of or has heard of any aids for disabled fisherman or can help with any advice on automatic reels or anything at all?

he is a keen old fisherman but now has this bridge to climb and doesn't know where to begin.

any advice would be great. :1fishing1:

Cheers guys/girls.

Edited by nargse1

believe it or not but there is quite a bit of disabled fishing gear out there.

Take a look at this site for some inovative ideas...even electric reels.

Fishing gear for disabled

Obviously Fishraider does not endorse this company, just some ideas of what's out there.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Hi all,

my father has a friend who they used to fish alot together throughout the years. he had a stroke a few years back and has lost the use of basically the whole right hand. :( he would be able to hold a rod in the right hand if put in there and wind with the left.

they are keen on going out and joining a club (deep sea/off shore mainly)

i was wondering if anyone knows of or has heard of any aids for disabled fisherman or can help with any advice on automatic reels or anything at all?

he is a keen old fisherman but now has this bridge to climb and doesn't know where to begin.

any advice would be great. :1fishing1:

Cheers guys/girls.

One of our sponsors is able to help you there.

Give Tony at Fishfinder Bait and Tackle a call. I have watched Tony assist another gentleman at his shop who has lost the use of one arm after a stroke with a special setup so he could continue to enjoy his fishing. I also know Tony has in the past accommodated disabled anglers on his charters.

Please give Tony a call.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Guest mrs rzep

Here are Tony's details

TONY AND REBECCA DAVIS

548 BUNNERONG ROAD

MATRAVILLE

(02) 9661 7967

OPEN 7 DAYS

Monday to Thursday 6.30am until 6.30pm

Friday 5.30am until 7pm

Saturday 5am until 7pm

Sunday 5am until 6pm

I read an article some years back about Lefty Kreh,a big name in fishing in the 60's and 70's I believe.After his stroke he devised a simple system using a shoulder harness with a connector clipped to it and his rod-I suppose it limited travel of the rod and made it possible to control with the affected arm.I don't know if the connector was rigid or not, or adjustable unfortunately.I hope this is of some use,and my best wishes to your Dad's mate in the face of this challenge.

Dave.

Hi Nargse

My sister is disabled due to a brain tumour and the resulting treatment. Myself and my dad were able to get her fishing by changing the handle on my small Daiwa reel to a Penn Senetor 4/0. Large handle, something to grip, and using a rod holder, that she kept the rod in. The reel had level wind. I think the thing she found most frustrating was not being able to tie knots etc, change lures. Have plenty traces done up before you head out !! This will depend on the level of handicap that your dads friend has. I would try and not over automate his set up and still let him fish the way he knows! Would also try and stay fairly shallow, too much winding was rather hard for her, don't go bottom bashing at Browns!!!!

Best of luck

Alasdair

Hi Nargse

My sister is disabled due to a brain tumour and the resulting treatment. Myself and my dad were able to get her fishing by changing the handle on my small Daiwa reel to a Penn Senetor 4/0. Large handle, something to grip, and using a rod holder, that she kept the rod in. The reel had level wind. I think the thing she found most frustrating was not being able to tie knots etc, change lures. Have plenty traces done up before you head out !! This will depend on the level of handicap that your dads friend has. I would try and not over automate his set up and still let him fish the way he knows! Would also try and stay fairly shallow, too much winding was rather hard for her, don't go bottom bashing at Browns!!!!

Best of luck

Alasdair

thanks Alasdair,

good luck to your sis too.