Sydney Harbour Saturday 11/08

Flightmanager

G'day All ,

#1 Son and I had a very late start today , I kept putting the schedueled fishing trip off due to the wind. Finallly bit the bullet and decided WTF , lets just do it !!

Arrived at Rose Bay Ramp , very little wind , and no white caps , I thought to myself " Self , this might be OK after all!" .

Headed off to Elizabeth Bay , once we were past the marina , the wind really hit hard , but as the water was actually pretty calm , it was not an uncomfortable trip at all. Meandered through the moored boats looking for fisht activity on the sounder , but it was totally clear , decided to set up a drift just clear of the boats to see what we might get. We were pretty well protected from the wind by the high rise buildings , but occasionally , a good gust would spin the boat right around . Brett as usual was at his favourite spot , flicking plastics from the bow , and unusually for me , I was also giving the plastics a go from my seat. On the second cast , I get a good hit , and then a small run !!! Started to reel in , and this fish was trying his best to get away . Finally boated him , a very respectable 40CM Trevally !! My first on a SP ( 2" Pumpkinseed grub).

Seconds later , Brett is on , similar fight , the fish wanted to go deep , nice bend in the rod , little bit of a zzz from the reel , but he busted the line just as we saw colour ! :1badmood: Another Trevally.

Set up the drift a few more times , but no action whatsoever , on bait or plastic. As we had drifted towards Rushcutters Bay , I motored slowly through the moored boats , once again looking for some sign of action on the sounder. Found a few fish and a small patch of weed , so turned around to go over it a second time to confirm , this time a lot more fish , so I said " drop the pick , we'll give this a bash for 5 minutes or so , then move on !".

Dropped down a very sorry looking peeled prawn ( been refrozen at least twice) , and started to reel up slowly from the bottom ( about 17' ) , then , just before the leader came into view , I got a huge strike , and the fish tried to dive away , but I managed to get him aboard , another nice Trevally!!

Brett was next to get hit , another Trev. Then Another . All on the scungiest peeled prawns imaginable !!

We continued to land them for the next half hour , then SHOCK HORROR !! No more prawns!! So I tried an equally stale disgusting strip of Squid , same result !! Tried a freezer burnt pilly tail , Whammo!! We were having a royal old time of it , trying to see how many fish we could catch on the one shred of bait !! ( The record stands at 4 ) .

For comic relief , we bottom bashed a few pinkies , but as soon as we dragged the bait through the 10' level , Zap , another trev!

We did this for about 3 hours , the wind died down about 4 , it was a perfect "summers " day on the water . ( We are still in winter , right??) .

Total for the day , 23 Trevally , several more returned or dropped , Brett also lost a beautiful Flatty at the boat!!

To say we were happy was the understatement of the year , Mrsflightmanager was also thrilled with the result when we returned home !!

If I didnt have to work tomorrow , we would still be out there !

Most of my fish were caught on my new bream outfit , thanks to Gofishpete and Tony Fishfinder for supplying various components and advice !

post-2063-1186834409_thumb.jpg

I know there are only 18 shown here , I dropped 5 into my sister on the way home !

Ross

Edited by Flightmanager

Hi Ross,

Sounds like a nice session on the water.

Trevs are good fun when their on the bite and its always good to throw your old bait at em.

We fished MH on Friday night in Humesys boat. It was the most beautiful night out there and enabled us to fish until late. Not much action on the jewies and didnt get a hit all night.

The baitfish action at the Spit Bridge was amazing. We got a couple of nice squid with one of them being a mother. The other two were smaller. The real action was the extra large yakkas and then a plague of slimies moved in and i could of caught a 100 of em. The school covered both sides of the Bridge.

They were swarming everywhere. We caught maybe twenty of so then didnt bother. I spent a good part of the night just watching them - good fun and nice and relaxing.

We had out live squid and yakkas and slimey fillets but nothing. I have kept some squid and salted down some slimeys for the "back to the bay" gig next month.

Cheers Ross and all the best.

Top score Ross, I am so pleased you showed the young one in the passenger seat how to carefully present fresh bait etc etc etc.

I especially like your detour into science and Tecnology, barametric pressures and all those thingy millibares.

Excellent post :thumbup:

Cheers

Stumpy