Snapper, Snapper A Great Day

Ross Hunter

Headed out yesterday to my favourite snapper spot. We picked up at 6am and steamed across the bay at 25 knots to encounter a 2.5 metre swell and even on Broadbill we had to ease back and troll to the grounds, because of the seas and the backwash off the shoreline We had gamerod( fishraider and Steve the Shooter also a Fishraider reader and a damn good fisherman . My deckhand was the Swordy, but not a well one. He has the dreaded flue and if I had known how sick he was I would have used one of my other regulars.

But the swordy was on board coughing and spluttering, full of antibiotics and cold a flu tablets, I reckon if you shook him he would have rattled he had tahat many pills onboard.

It was a chilly rainy start with light sw winds as we made for Thirroul and the snapper grounds.

Upon arriving we had to drift as anchoring would have seen us fishing up the anchor.

We started well south on some new grounds fishing a 1/4 pound lead and the fish were steady ( a lot of 32cm models that were released) . Then we found better grounds as I constantly moved in different depths untill better results came.

Gamerod or "The Human Winch" as I have nick named him for his abillty to catch marlin quicker than any one else was into the action with the first couple of big fish. He reckoned it was 'to easy".

Then Steve excelled, fishing his light rod and 30 pound braid He hooked a beauty and expertly played it.

We all sucked air as it surfaced, a really nice 4kg snapper.

Gamerod netted the fish and we were on the board with a few great fish in the box.

The slime that had plagued us had dissappeared and we looked good for a great day.

We moved out to my 65 metre marks and a few more big boys resulted.The swordy was that crook that he layed in the bunk too buggered to fish and having known and fished with him many times I realised just how sick he was and felt very sorry for the lad.

We pulled stumps at 4 pm to troll home having had another brilliant days snapper fishing

The good thing is that my favourite month has always been September, so there's more to look forward to

Hope you get better soon Swordy and thanks for your company yesterday

I am attemting to post a heap of great photos of the day and I am writing a report on two months of really memoreable snapper trips on BILLFISHER and BROADBILL on my site Look in "Fishing Stories and Hints" and "Fishing Reports" soon

Site My Webpage

post-2782-1187235764_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187235954_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236004_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236039_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236076_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236113_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236150_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236208_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236249_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1187236302_thumb.jpg

post-256-1187237122_thumb.jpg

post-256-1187237146_thumb.jpg

Dammmmmmm I was so sick and I missed out on some great Snapper fishing :1badmood:

The boys did themselves proud and caught some great Reddies.

Ross was always on the move for bigger and better fish as the little fellas legal to 35 cms got thrown back.

I did manage a fish for 2 minutes in my bouts of sleep induced coughing fits and scored a nice Red and a beaut pigfish.

Thanks Winch and Shooter for a top day out and I hope next time I can join in the battle of the Reds from the near South Coast.

Great day out again Ross and thanks once again for the opportunity to fish with you once more.

Cheers Stewy

Sounds like another great fishing day had by all on the fabulous Broadbill. :thumbup:

AND cripes you can't miss the antibiotic smile on the face of the fish being held by the guy from Greenland who's wearing the blue sweat jacket in the third last photo :074:

jewgaffer :thumbup:

Once again Ross another great report. I love reading about your snapper exploits down south.

Fantastic pictures too.

As I have the dreaded flu, I know exactly how Swordy must have felt.

I'm exceptionally keen to catch a decent snapper when I'm feeling half human again. I've read all your hints and help on snapper fishing, so I'm very keen to give it a go this Spring. If I fail, which is more than likely, it looks like I'll have to make a booking on Broadbill.

Also, what was that "slime" you referred to?

Peter

Brilliant session fellas.

Some very repectable reds there....

What about our Swordie...what a soldier..Glad you

at least had a successful fish.

I was very tempted to join that party but :wife: being in hospital

put paid to that.

Get well mate.

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks Ross for a great day out.

That hump is one of the most beautifull places in the world.

I'm a mad game fisherman...... :1fishing1: The bigger the better.

Reef fishing for mowies/ Snapper I thought was below me. ( HAVING DONE IT FOR20 YEARS)Snapper fishing at the hump is a different story.

LOVE IT.

Regards Winch.

PS I Love you DEAN WIDDERS. ( SOUTHS FAN.) :beersmile:

To Ross and mr Swordfisherman.

Cooked up the Snapper last night it was to die for.

Very very finely diced onion, tomato, shallots, ginger touch of pepper.

The reason you have to really finely dice it is it makes it into a great sauce for the fish.

Add some butter, olive oil and white wine. All in foil for oven.

Put in Fridge for 1/2 an hour. Then put in oven for 15 minutes each side.

Stewy hope your feeling better, look forward to a fish with you again soon.

Thanks again Rosco Hunter. (Fish Guru God.)

Regards Human Winch ( Gamerod.) :1fishing1:

To Ross and mr Swordfisherman.

Cooked up the Snapper last night it was to die for.

Very very finely diced onion, tomato, shallots, ginger touch of pepper.

The reason you have to really finely dice it is it makes it into a great sauce for the fish.

Add some butter, olive oil and white wine. All in foil for oven.

Put in Fridge for 1/2 an hour. Then put in oven for 15 minutes each side.

Stewy hope your feeling better, look forward to a fish with you again soon.

Thanks again Rosco Hunter. (Fish Guru God.)

Regards Human Winch ( Gamerod.) :1fishing1:

Winch ,

Where was my invite for dinner..If I had not just devoured a snapper myself that you gave me..I would be really nasty.

My recipe is a bit simpler.

Wrap snapper in foil with scales still on ( this really keeps them nice and moist) add a little garlic and chilly then bake in the oven.........beauuuuutiful

Thanks for your company on Wed.. I have just posted a new report in Fishing Stories and Hints on www.gamefishingcharters.com.au and your in it along with many of our customers over the past month There are some big reds in the gallery.

Roscoe.

Hey Ross its not the great snapper your catching why every one wants to fish with you.

Its my South Sydney Rabbits Jacket I was wearing. They know a good thing when they see it.

Go the bunnies.

Regards The Human Winch. :1clap::icon_peace::beersmile: