Saltist High Speed Or Normal Speed

SZ1

Hi guys, I just got a quick question, is there much diffence in the two I know one is faster retrive and one is a more powerfull retrive, but would there be that much of a difference? Also would their be any difference in the toughness of the two ie low speed been a tougher reel? Just thought I'll ask

Cheers

Another thing you may want to take into consideration is the amount of effort needed to wind. With a huge King, Samson or Doggie you'd want to be using a lower gear ratio so you can winch the fish up. The speed ratio makes this a lot harder to do.

IFS

Another thing you may want to take into consideration is the amount of effort needed to wind. With a huge King, Samson or Doggie you'd want to be using a lower gear ratio so you can winch the fish up. The speed ratio makes this a lot harder to do.

IFS

I would say that the only diference is the size of the gears inside the reel. I wouldnt think anything else is made 'tougher'.

I tend to get a higher ratio in my small reels and a slower ratio in my bigger reels for two reasons.

One you use a big reel for big fish so you need low ratio to wind them in. Secondly, a big reel has a big spool so will be fast even with a low ratio compared with a small reel.

Edited by Flightmanager

I'm currently doing some work on a Saltiga 6000GT with a ratio of 6.2:1 Absolutely awesome reel!!

Seems incredibly solid but if it were mine, i'd go the model with the lower gear ratio. You'll probably find its fast enough anyway as Roylo suggests, due to spool diameter etc and would be much more pleasant to use when hooked up to a big fish.

Cheers

Red

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have the Saltist 30 in High and low spd. Also a Torium 30. Low spd reel heaps easier/more comfortable to use when on deep fish. Surface fish,mainly the opposite

Favourite is my Saltiga 40. in 4.9. Pulls in anything. Even though it keeps breaking Ian Miller Shimano 400 jig sticks (2 so far.) It's sitting on a USA Rods Boron 5 to 8 blank now.

Let's see it break that one in a hurry. Macka17

im running the ST30TTH (6.3) @ the moment..wild little reel!..i have used the standard model and would prefer the lower ration as my personal jigging style is biased on the jig, wind, jig as opposed to a flatout crank...hence the 4.9 ratio would be better suited...both awsome reels though...as Roylo said..only difference is the main gear diameter...