New Spinning Outfit

KingsRule

Hmmm, i have decided to scrap the idea of a heavy landbased outfit as i will be spending more time on the boat this year. I have narrowed my reel preferances down to 3 choices

Daiwa Sol - 2500 or 3000

shimano twinpower - 2500

daiwa caldia kix - 2500

These 3 are similarly priced and have good reputations from what i have heard.

Does anyone have any pros or cons for any of these 3.

This reel will be to replace my current symetre 2500 which i absolutley flogged over summer, will be using it for everything from bream to kings to frigates.

Also , i saw an ad in a recent fishing mag for daiwa sol rods, are they availible anywhere and if so how much $$ am i looking at here?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

Daiwa Sol - 2500 or 3000 $280-300

shimano twinpower - 2500 $280-300

daiwa caldia kix - 2500 $270-285

Daiwa has spare spool Shimano doesn't

Daiwa 4.7:1 ratio - Shimano 5.0:1

Don't think you would loose with any of them

but Daiwa seem to have better line laying with

braid IMO

The Sol is nice and gold :biggrin2:

best thing is have a look & feel - see if the shop

will fit them up to a rod and then feel for any

difference in balance on a rod

Chris

Edited by Chris 55

Hi Rob

Daiwa Sol - 2500 or 3000 $280-300

shimano twinpower - 2500 $280-300

daiwa caldia kix - 2500 $270-285

Daiwa 4.7:1 ratio - Shimano 5.0:1

Don't think you would loose with any of them

but Daiwa seem to have better line laying with

braid IMO

The Sol is nice and gold :biggrin2:

best thing is have a look & feel - see if the shop

will fit them up to a rod and then feel for any

difference in balance on a rod

Chris

I have the sol 2500 and love it, powerful as well pulling about 7kg of drag. The sol rods are pretty pricey i think around 280-340 bucks, saw them in one shop and look the goods, nice complement to the reel.

Mate go the Twinpower...scrap the Daiwa's.......

If you wanna see what happens to a good daiwa drop by my house......I got a Certate 2000 which is 12 months old and already shot to peices and it hasnt been used on anything but squid.......

Not true, the Aussie Twin Power has a spare spool.

TBH, I am not convinced about the local TP even though I own the 4000 model. It seems closer to the Jap Biomaster than a Jap Twin Power. (Biomaster sits below the TP in the Jap domestic market.) The Jap TPs I own seem much sturdier and smoother (Jap 5000PG, 5000HG vs local 4000).

All in all, a good, perfectly serviceable reel - just lacking that "wow" factor, I guess.

:1prop:

Hmmm, i have decided to scrap the idea of a heavy landbased outfit as i will be spending more time on the boat this year. I have narrowed my reel preferances down to 3 choices

Daiwa Sol - 2500 or 3000

shimano twinpower - 2500

daiwa caldia kix - 2500

These 3 are similarly priced and have good reputations from what i have heard.

Does anyone have any pros or cons for any of these 3.

This reel will be to replace my current symetre 2500 which i absolutley flogged over summer, will be using it for everything from bream to kings to frigates.

Also , i saw an ad in a recent fishing mag for daiwa sol rods, are they availible anywhere and if so how much $$ am i looking at here?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob. Out of those three reels I would get the Twin Power for sure. I like the handle knob better on the Shimano. (better shape and non slip material) and I dont like the drag clicking system on the Daiwas.

But if I was buying a new reel myself in a 2500 I would get the Stradic over anything else because it is the highest quality reel in 6.0:1 ratio which is a big advantage in my opinion on a 2500.

Something to think about anyway dude :1prop:

:1prop:

Hi Rob. Out of those three reels I would get the Twin Power for sure. I like the handle knob better on the Shimano. (better shape and non slip material) and I dont like the drag clicking system on the Daiwas.

But if I was buying a new reel myself in a 2500 I would get the Stradic over anything else because it is the highest quality reel in 6.0:1 ratio which is a big advantage in my opinion on a 2500.

Something to think about anyway dude :1prop:

Mate the new stradics MgFA 's are awesome....magnesium frames...i have just ordered a 4000 model of it

post-1441-1187759398_thumb.jpg

Edited by netic

Mate the new stradics MgFA 's are awesome....magnesium frames...i have just ordered a 4000 model of it

That is a very nice looking reel however they don't make it in 6000 :mad3:

The Stradic is what I've been looking at for a LB Kingfish reel aswell as an offshore one for Dollies and Tuna.

The albino reel will have to do.

IFS

Mate im sure Shimano looked into everything before releasing the reels so im sure the Magnesium will hold up well.......

Ifishsick......mate a 6000 reel is overkill for dollies....will take all the fun out of catching them, we were catching dollies to 80cm last year on stradic 2500's.....awesome fun..takes 10 minutes to bring in

Edited by netic

Mate im sure Shimano looked into everything before releasing the reels so im sure the Magnesium will hold up well.......

Ifishsick......mate a 6000 reel is overkill for dollies....will take all the fun out of catching them, we were catching dollies to 80cm last year on stradic 2500's.....awesome fun..takes 10 minutes to bring in

It won't be for the littlies.

The Mahi I will be targetting/ let alone catching, will be the big bull dollies on big live Slimies.

I don't think 15lb is too heavy but for Tuna which will be its main purpose it won't be.

I've got 1 2500 and soon to be 2, spooled up with braid 4lb - 10lb.

IFS

post-1441-1187759398_thumb.jpg

Hey man, are these Stradics Aussie models?

I dont know why but if a reel is not an Aussie released model I stay away from them. I feel they are out of place or not worth as much here or something.

I dont know why but if a reel is not an Aussie released model I stay away from them. I feel they are out of place or not worth as much here or something.

Mate they are not relased here as yet maybe released in the future........Overseas reels are generally more valuable then the aussie models.........The Stella 20000sw (Jap Model) is worth a fair bit more then the Stella 20000FA (Aus Model)......

This applie to nearly everything...i could have got the Aussie stradic 4000 for $150 but from the same guy i paid $210 for the Magnesuim one.......

Same applies with twinpowers etc....all the jap models are better.....

It won't be for the littlies.

The Mahi I will be targetting/ let alone catching, will be the big bull dollies on big live Slimies.

I don't think 15lb is too heavy but for Tuna which will be its main purpose it won't be.

I've got 1 2500 and soon to be 2, spooled up with braid 4lb - 10lb.

IFS

Mate we all target the bigger ones not just you.....i only fish with Live Slimies and Yakkas for dollies but the big ones are not always here...last year they were only a handful of bulls caught......

Mate they are not relased here as yet maybe released in the future........Overseas reels are generally more valuable then the aussie models.........The Stella 20000sw (Jap Model) is worth a fair bit more then the Stella 20000FA (Aus Model)......

This applie to nearly everything...i could have got the Aussie stradic 4000 for $150 but from the same guy i paid $210 for the Magnesuim one.......

Same applies with twinpowers etc....all the jap models are better.....

I just bought a 20000FA Aussie released Stella and its worth more to ME than the Jap Stella.

Yeah, its just my personal preference I suppose to liking the aussie models better.

If I lived in Japan then I would prefer to have their models tho....

Edited by Roylo

Mate its more then just preferences...the Jap STella has a crap load more Drag...its a better reel overall...

My STella 20000FA which is the same as the aussie model i purchased from Japan.....Saved over $250 on the price so i will continue to but in Japan......I like to buy Aussie stuff but i like saving $250 more.....

DOn't forget roylo.....doesnt matter if you buy it from here or O/S they are all made in Japan...same factory

Mate go the Twinpower...scrap the Daiwa's.......

If you wanna see what happens to a good daiwa drop by my house......I got a Certate 2000 which is 12 months old and already shot to peices and it hasnt been used on anything but squid.......

Shot to peices? care to elaborate a little further? I'd be very surprised if yours hads failed only catching squid while mine (2500) is immacculate after three years of king flogging as well as YFT.

Chris

Mate its more then just preferences...the Jap STella has a crap load more Drag...its a better reel overall...

My STella 20000FA which is the same as the aussie model i purchased from Japan.....Saved over $250 on the price so i will continue to but in Japan......I like to buy Aussie stuff but i like saving $250 more.....

DOn't forget roylo.....doesnt matter if you buy it from here or O/S they are all made in Japan...same factory

I bought my Aussie spec Stella from Japan aswell to save money.

I mean I like buying the Aussie released models rather than the Jap ones.

I know some of the Jap ones are better. But say for example I was gonna buy an Aussie Stradic, but then the Jap one is better. The Jap one costs more aswell. If I wanted something better than the Aussie Stratic I would rather get the Aussie Twin Power than get the Jap Stratic. U know what I mean?

Shot to peices? care to elaborate a little further? I'd be very surprised if yours hads failed only catching squid while mine (2500) is immacculate after three years of king flogging as well as YFT.

Chris

Sorry to go off the original topic -

Doesn't matter how much you spend on a reel you still get the occasional out of box failure - One dodgy daiwa doesn't warrant writing the brand off - I just received my long awaited Stella 8000 and guess what it is faulty straight out of the box - first time I spun the handle the spool jammed at the bottom of the oscillation - no damage in transit just put togther poorly from what Shimano tell me - heart breaking when you spend that kind of money but she went back and got repaired . Am I off shimano for life ? NO I was just unlucky as was probably the case with the Certate previously mentioned .

Edited by pageboy

Chris

Mate the anti reverese won't work and the reel is making a grinding noise...This reel hasnt been used to catch nothing but Squid and Yakkas.........cleaned throughly each trip.......Its going in for repiar this week at Diawa.....this is the third top end Daiwa i have seen stuff up within the first 12 months of life.......

Sorry to go off the original topic -

Doesn't matter how much you spend on a reel you still get the occasional out of box failure - One dodgy daiwa doesn't warrant writing the brand off - I just received my long awaited Stella 8000 and guess what it is faulty straight out of the box - first time I spun the handle the spool jammed at the bottom of the oscillation - no damage in transit just put togther poorly from what Shimano tell me - heart breaking when you spend that kind of money but she went back and got repaired . Am I off shimano for life ? NO I was just unlucky as was probably the case with the Certate previously mentioned .

Mate after 3 top end Daiwas stuffing up im over em, First a Saltiga 4500 Bailarm breaking twice in 2 months, A smaller certate jamming and now this certate......no faith in Daiwa at all

Also Pageboy, you know Kelvin well, he uses both Shimano and Daiwa top end reels and from what he has told me about the Saltiga 6500 i will never grab one over a shimano...im sure you have heard the same things from him and Kelvin knows his tackle...

Edited by netic

Mate the anti reverese won't work and the reel is making a grinding noise...This reel hasnt been used to catch nothing but Squid and Yakkas.........cleaned throughly each trip.......Its going in for repiar this week at Diawa.....this is the third top end Daiwa i have seen stuff up within the first 12 months of life.......

It will be on ebay as soon as i get it back as it is a peice of sh.it......watch ebay if you wont a cheap buy.....it will be getting replace with a Stella which is what should have been bought in the first place.....

Mate after 3 top end Daiwas stuffing up im over em, First a Saltiga 4500 Bailarm breaking twice in 2 months, A smaller certate jamming and now this certate......no faith in Daiwa at all

Also Pageboy, you know Kelvin well, he uses both Shimano and Daiwa top end reels and from what he has told me about the Saltiga 6500 i will never grab one over a shimano...im sure you have heard the same things from him and Kelvin knows his tackle...

Each to their own I guess,

But I'm pretty sure your one of very very few willing to put their name on the line and call all Certates shi.t.

Shimano has let me down numerous times both in my spinning reels, and in game reels. I've switched to daiwa and have had no serious issues in the last 2 years.

I've found Daiwa's spinning reels to be leaps and bounds ahead in both techonolgy and performance and dont see myself switching back to Shimano anytime soon.

Chris

As you said Aero...each to their own....i can only go from my own experience's and personally Daiwa have let me down bigtime......if i was buying bottom end gear i would understand but this is top end gear

Roylo......just saw the New MGFA stradics in a tackle store........so they are being released to Australia

Biggest dofference other then the fram is the handle....the MGFA has a STella style handle