Barra Charters In Darwin?

Croydon

G'day folks,

Well after a lot of negotiation with the fun sherriff (:wife:) , I've been given the go ahead to organise a trip to Darwin with the boys next April. I've fished there a couple of times in the past with relo's but sadly they have moved to greener pastures. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent barra day charter they have had a good time with in the past. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just to wet the appetite I've included a few photo's from my last trip when I towed the tinnie up north with a mate. This was how we travelled most days.......

post-4525-1187681245_thumb.jpg

The best fish of the trip caught on the gear in the first photo, from a little gutter/rock bar on the Victoria River which runs between NT and WA. One huge River..

post-4525-1187681337_thumb.jpg

This is where it went. It was a tad under 20lb and a fantastic meal......

post-4525-1187681374_thumb.jpg

And the reward........

post-4525-1187681403_thumb.jpg

With any luck the next trip will be just as much fun. Thanks folks if you can help............

Nice barra there Croydon - what did she measure? 85cms?

Can't help with the charter unfortunately as my Darwin trips tend towards the 'week at a remote camp' variety rather than a day trip from Darwin.

Good luck finding a charter and let us all know how you go up there.

Hi Croydon

In 2000 I went out with Mick Mannix from Darwin (Anglerschoice.com.au) & was put onto 3 good fish & a lot of fun. A croc even tried to snatch my fish & we had to gun it out of there! I was staying at a youth hostel in Darwin at the time & I think paid about $200 for the day (with 2 others on the trip, as well as Mick.) You have to work for it ...... when he slips it into neutral, you have to work that lure ...WHACK, WHACK, WHACK on a regular basis .... but it gets you the fish! None of this subtle swish, swish of the rod! Your arms know about it by the end of the day!

GOod luck! Let us know how you go!

|

Cheerio

Roberta

One Happy Chappy

post-2231-1187685941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roberta

G'day Mondo,

Unfortunately I didn't measure it, but the esky goes a bit over 80 and it wouldn't fit inside. We're also looking at a few days at Cape Don Lodge. Just trying to get a few ideas and prices to put to the boys. The 'wilderness camp' idea would certainly be fantastic, but it just comes down to the $$$$ I guess. Thanks anyway...........

Thanks Roberta, I'll see if they're still about and yes you do have to do a heap of work! Much like those lovely little blackfish. That's an art of it's own..........

Hi Coydon

Mick is still around - just catering for the rich & famous now as well!! He got Steve Starling onto a 1m+ fish last year! His wife Emma runs the Reel Women Barra comp every year (only for the ladies!), which is also growing in status as well! Better put a skirt on & join me there next year for it ..... I am putting it on my radar .... hopefully - don't tell the other half yet!

Cheers

Roberta

Ooops missed the bit that said "April"!! the best time is to be there now!!!

Edited by Roberta

Yeah thanks for that Roberta but I'd need a really good shave before the skirt could even be considered!! I looked up their website and sent them an email. We'll see what they come up with. It would be great to be up there now but we need a few months to save the cash and convince some of the wives!! I'm not too sure which job will be harder...........

Dave

Hi Coydon

Mick is still around - just catering for the rich & famous now as well!! He got Steve Starling onto a 1m+ fish last year! His wife Emma runs the Reel Women Barra comp every year (only for the ladies!), which is also growing in status as well! Better put a skirt on & join me there next year for it ..... I am putting it on my radar .... hopefully - don't tell the other half yet!

Cheers

Roberta

Ooops missed the bit that said "April"!! the best time is to be there now!!!

Hey Roberta have you got one of these hats :thumbup::biggrin2:

post-869-1187689295_thumb.jpg

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Id have to agree with Roberta on anglerschoice, i did a week on their mothership last year and it was the best time iv had in my life! They are top guides who are extremely helpful and friendly and really know the river systems well... steve starling does many trips up there with them and has done alot of write ups on the charter in his various magazine publications, Mick actually got him on to a 50lb fish 2 years back. You definatley cànt go past this lot...

Hey Roberta have you got one of these hats :thumbup::biggrin2:

post-869-1187689295_thumb.jpg Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Not yet .... but unfortunately, I prefer a full brimmed hat to the peaked ones ....I get too sunburnt!! Nice hat tho - have you competed with the girls? I think they did an all girls Bass tournament recently, too!

Cheerio

Roberta

I would need to be on a boat with others that know what they are doing, tho!!! Any fish that jump onto my hooks are usually just plain unlucky!

I just came back from Darwin and went out with Darwins Barra Base.
Contacts
Ph (08) 8945 0376
Mobile 0408 894 710
Fax (08) 8945 0379

www.darwinbarrabase.com.au

They were fantastic and had all the top gear
I could not fault them

Both companys were recommended to me and many locals also pointed me to them.

You will be there towards the end of the run off season so expect to be hammered by some awsome fishing

Cheers

post-144-1187751292_thumb.jpg

post-144-1187751441_thumb.jpg