Submerged Motor Repairs

bradludwig

Hello again Raiders,

About 3 weeks ago through circumstance beyond my control (because I`m an idiot!) I sunk my tender which had on it a great lil 2hp evinrude! I was able to retrieve both but the motor is dead :thumbdown:

Now upon returning home the next day I submerged it in fresh water pulled the plug out and fill the cylinder with clean fuel mix 1-100 and gave it a few pulls to get rid of any remaing water but alas i have no spark at all even tested it by getting :wife: to hold it and pulled the cord several times.Im still alive so that means the motor is dead!!

anyone? ideas?

Cheers Brad

I'd get it to a mechanic straight away. The biggest worry is saltwater getting to the bearings and crankshaft. If rust occurs here (and it only takes a few days) it can quickly destroy the engine when it is run again as the fine tolerances are lost.

...... 3 weeks is a little while ago.

Unless its a fairly new motor, I dont know if a 2hp would be worth "paying someone" to get it fixed. Different story if its your own labour + a few low cost parts.

Im sure Huey can give you a fair and unbiased answer and may also give you some advice to DIY + he may be able to supply spares.

Rod

Hello again Raiders,

About 3 weeks ago through circumstance beyond my control (because I`m an idiot!) I sunk my tender which had on it a great lil 2hp evinrude! I was able to retrieve both but the motor is dead :thumbdown:

Now upon returning home the next day I submerged it in fresh water pulled the plug out and fill the cylinder with clean fuel mix 1-100 and gave it a few pulls to get rid of any remaing water but alas i have no spark at all even tested it by getting :wife: to hold it and pulled the cord several times.Im still alive so that means the motor is dead!!

anyone? ideas?

Cheers Brad

Pm me again Brad, Didn't get a chance to read the repies about your submerged motor and have to rush out

One of my jewfish mates Conjee George is a commercial diver and an underwater marine motor mechanic at the same time.

cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1::beersmile:

:074::074::074::074:

FOR SALE--- 2 hp evinrude motor.Has had very little use in last 3 weeks.was running well last time it started!Could do with more spark.Suit marine mechanic (as is too light for a mooring!) or really clever home MARINE mechanic! Make an offer! :tease::1prop::074::074:

Someone here said they'll pick up and dump for $180 in case you can't get it done any cheaper than that :beersmile:

cheers :beersmile:

jewgaffer :beersmile::beersmile:

Hi Brad, if it has not been run for about 3 weeks, than I think it will be beyond repair due to damage to the crank and condrods. If an engine goes for a swim, you need to get it running ASAP, if it goes 2-3 days without getting a good run it will be lost for good. If you can not get it looked at the best thing to do is leave it underwater, because corrosion only starts to happen once exposed to air.

If it has not seized by now bring it in and will can spend 1/2 an hour on it and see if we can get it going and see what it sounds like. If damage has accorded to the bearing surfaces you can hear it. As a few guys have said though the engine may not be worth spedning any money on and you can get a brand new 2.5HP outboard for $740.

Cheers,

Huey.