Show Us Your Fishing Kayak

arpie

Hi guys

I have 2 yaks

my Perception Minnow Sit in

post-2231-1187922225_thumb.jpg

and my Hobie SPorts Mirage Sit on

post-2231-1187922259_thumb.jpg

Both have plenty of rod holders & a great anchor system, so i can move it from the front to the back or set it anywhere in between. My Hobie has a fish finder (Cuda 168) on it & is fantastic for finding dropoffs & keeping me away from shallow water, so i don't damage the pedals.

I use my sit-in when i go into the leases - it already has quite a few external scratches (nothing serious) from altercations with oyster racks & poles - whereas I only take my Hobie outside of the leases. The hobie is brilliant for lure casting, as you can pedal as you go, leaving your hands free to cast whereas the Minnow really has to be tied off to something or have the anchor down to fish easily. If you drift with the current, you can end up a long way away from the area you actually want to fish, whereas the hobie allows you to make adjustments & pedal whilst you fish, against the tide without much effort!

It opens up such a diverse choice of fishing waters - some of which the normal boats just can't get into! The Stealth factor has to be tried to be believed .... and you are getting some exercise whilst you are having fun!

First thing in the morning, in the quiet, it is almost spooky it is sooo good!

Look forward to seeing more Raider Kayaks (or plain kayaks as well!)

Cheerio

Roberta

great yaks

Edited by Roberta

Nice post Roberta

I always wanted to know the benifits of each style of yak(paddle or peddle).

Love the look and set up of those mirages.

What sort of car do you drive and do you put it on roof racks?

Easy to get on and off?

I was worried I couldnt lift it onto the roof racks of my SUV.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg

The main difference that I find between the two are that you usually get a bit wetter in a sit-on! and they are a bit heavier than a similar sized sit-in. That is the main reason I stuck with the smaller for both types - I have to be able to load & unload them absolutely on my own with no assistance. I had a Hobie Outback, but it was just too long & heavy for me to handle on my own, so I downsized to the Sport. I sold my Outback & bought my Sport on Raider's Swap & Sell! :thumbup::yahoo: within a matter of weeks of listing!

Check out Stylo's previous thread that has a lot of info in it:

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23617

There really is an upsurge in fishing yaks just now & the hands free (whether electric motor or pedal) make for easier travel & fishing! But both have advantages that the other doesn't.

We've got a funny little Suzuki Carry Ute (no bigger than a Ford Laser) which my husband built kayak racks for his (then) racing yak (longer than our ute, so had to go on top!) Both my yaks fit in the tray at the back... just! The heavier ones that have to go on top can be a bit awkward putting on top of a SUV (specially the really tall ones) but that is where the extender bar becomes your best friend!! There are numerous ways of fitting one, but remember to put an angle on the extended end - to prevent your yak from slipping off with wind or other interference! Don't want to drop it from a height! So far, ours haven't needed the bar, but I have seen it in action on others. With the longer yaks, instead of busting your guts picking the whole thing up, You prop one end up on the extender bar with the angled end, then go to the rear & pick up the other end & pop it on the rack. Then go to the first end & pop it on the rack & slide the extender pole back & secure it.

Anyone without the space for a boat should look at getting a yak! They really are terrific fun as well. Eventually, each family member will want their own one!! They can be hung from the ceiling, too, or off the walls of your garage, so don't have to take up floor space.

Hi Stylo

I have a galvanised 2kg folding anchor (usually less than $20.) post-2231-1187928192_thumb.jpg

and find it sufficient for my needs in the lake system here. Have at least .5m chain as well. If going outside, you may need a heavier one.

I attached a stainless steel pulley & D shackle to each of the handles (assuming they are each end!) Then I run a length of rope between both pulleys & where they meet again, I basically use a double uni knot to tie them off to each other (so the rope is fairly snug & runs back & forth freely!) Then attach a length of rope/parachute cord (10-20m) between the knots & tie it off securely! Tie the chain to the other end & a D shackle & the anchor as well. It is actually recommended to attach the anchor 'upside down' and secure the arm to a bit of the chain with one of those plastic ties. If you ever get snagged, just give a sharp tug, & the plastic tie gives way & you pull the anchor up by its bottom, instead of actually pulling it tighter onto the snag if secured the normal way.

You can adjust the length of the rope you have out by just tying it off to the knot area on the main rope. This way, you can freely adjust the anchor from front to back. ALways be very careful when tying off from the rear - the last thing you want is a big wave or boat wash coming in & swamping you from behind!

Some also attach a float to the top of the anchor rope, in case in emergency, & you have to cut the rope. This enables you to go back later & hopefully retrieve it. I have had to do that in the leases here, when snagged, but just cut the rope & tied it to the lease, waited for low tide, then went out again & retrieved it easily.

post-2231-1187929209_thumb.jpg This one actually has another 10m on a retractable setup behind the seat! I have since 'reversed' the anchor, too, for easy retrieval from a snag.

This shows the shackle/pulley post-2231-1187929334_thumb.jpg

Always make sure you have a safety horn with you, should you get into trouble. This red one, you can hear up to 1km on the water! Just mouth powered - not gas! You can get them from any reputable tackle shop, or the coast guard (here anyway) also sells them. By law, you are supposed to have one.

post-2231-1187929498_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

Also check out this bit on yak fishing

http://www.helipress.com/trailers/KayakFishingsample.pdf

Edited by Roberta

Hi Mik

Very similar to mine - even to where the fishfinder is located!! :1prop: How come you keep the paddles separated .... or do you only take out the one??

Cheers

Roberta

Good luck with the Kingies - keep us posted!

Just went out in my minnow to hit the blackies - shoulda had 4 but only one in the net! Two dropped & one biiiig bustoff! GO back tomorrow & try again!

Hi Kirkby - one went in WA for $1100 + courier $60 to the east coast ..... a steal!!! A second hand one should be about $1500 .... a new one over the $2000.

I got mine with a fish finder for $1600 & was very happy with that! Keep your eyes & ears open & if an opportunity arises, grab it!! They hold their price & don't last long on an open market!!

Cheers

Roberta

You can replace the normal fins with Turbo fins & go faster!

Hi Domza

I rarely get wet (other than my legs when getting in) in my Hobie Sport, but because of the pedals, you need slightly deeper water .... but I know others who get wet everytime when paddling in theirs - not always in chop & boat turbulence! Your rear end should not get wet on every outing - only when raining! My advice would be to try all models & designs & see for yourself!

Cheers

Roberta

• 1 year later...

Gday guys

seeing as there's a fair few people with experience in kayak fishing here

i thought i'd ask as ive been interested in a hobie kayak for ages because they look like

such fun.

One question i have is where do u store your tackle box? i think ive seen some people put

it behind their seat, but it looks very awkward to be reaching behind there for various bits

of tackle?

Whats the solution to this?

Edited by tentonner

Hi Tentonner

The new hobies have a tacklebox designed specifically for the middle hatch. I have a multi layered round thing that came originally with nails & screws & handyman stuff in it - just chucked that out & made it into my tackle box (as I didn't get the Hobie one when I bought mine!) Each layer is for a specific style of lure - poppers, chubby type, sx40 type, & jig heads

Check out the Revolution for sale in the For Sale section & there is a photo of it. You can stick stuff behind the seat, but I usuallly put it either in the hatch or in the little wells on either side of the yak. The best thing is to only take out a limited number of lures & use them well, rather than take out a whole tackle shop (as most of us usually do) ..... and still end up using your 10 favourite lures (not the 50 you took out!)

Roberta

sold the sports a while ago and got the revolution

mate i have the tackle box that goes in the hatch between your legs and i also carry one of those sp bags with 10 pockets to carry my sps

see on the side were there is the mesh pockets i put the gulp packets in there easy to get and they dont come out

post-3389-1224482898_thumb.jpg

post-3389-1224483303_thumb.jpg

post-3389-1224483333_thumb.jpg

post-3389-1224483364_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishingmik

I love your setup Roberta. Took some photos of you yesterday near wharf street. The local Forster icon!

Hi guys

I have 2 yaks

my Perception Minnow Sit in

post-2231-1187922225_thumb.jpg

and my Hobie SPorts Mirage Sit on

post-2231-1187922259_thumb.jpg

Both have plenty of rod holders & a great anchor system, so i can move it from the front to the back or set it anywhere in between. My Hobie has a fish finder (Cuda 168) on it & is fantastic for finding dropoffs & keeping me away from shallow water, so i don't damage the pedals.

I use my sit-in when i go into the leases - it already has quite a few external scratches (nothing serious) from altercations with oyster racks & poles - whereas I only take my Hobie outside of the leases. The hobie is brilliant for lure casting, as you can pedal as you go, leaving your hands free to cast whereas the Minnow really has to be tied off to something or have the anchor down to fish easily. If you drift with the current, you can end up a long way away from the area you actually want to fish, whereas the hobie allows you to make adjustments & pedal whilst you fish, against the tide without much effort!

It opens up such a diverse choice of fishing waters - some of which the normal boats just can't get into! The Stealth factor has to be tried to be believed .... and you are getting some exercise whilst you are having fun!

First thing in the morning, in the quiet, it is almost spooky it is sooo good!

Look forward to seeing more Raider Kayaks (or plain kayaks as well!)

Cheerio

Roberta

great yaks

Hey guys,

Attached photo of my Wavedance "kingfisher" a company from melbourne - value for money wise they are great not as flash as the hobies but my 4.1m is decked with 2 flush mount rod holders asd plenty of storage and have just added a Hummingbird 210 finder as I do a fair bit of live baiting for Kings in the Bay.

Delivered with holders $1000 not too bad.

Cheers

Damo

post-4498-1224636076_thumb.jpg