Narrabeen Blackies

sails

Hi Guys,

went for a fish at Narrabeen this afternoon, and found Luderick59 already there, using his alternative baits and catching mullet, bream travelly and black fish. :fisher:

I had been fishing with Roosterman this morning and, same as last weekend, only one fish was caught.This time it was Steve who caught it, first and only down, and it looked a good 40+. :thumbup:

I had re-rigged this afternoon after talking with Roosterman this morning about the importance of neutral floats, and as little lead on the line as possible in calm water. So I had wrapped some sheet lead around the lower section of my small float to give it neutral boyancy, and I was using a drink straw on top of the float as an indicator, as the float was fully covered by the water. :huh:

Still had the weed on the hook from this mornings session, but put it out as a test to fine tune the float. Difficult to read the new float in the fast moving water as the tide was coming in and there was a lot debris being carried also, :unsure: so I went to wind in to change my weight when the line loaded up and I had the pleasure of a good sized fish on.Talk about beginners luck!! Netted it and it went almost 42cm. Happy chappie!! :thumbup: Had a couple of others on but lost them, while Luderick 59 pulled in mullet after mullet etc. :fishing1:

Good session .

Sails

post-3378-1188042132_thumb.jpg

Nice Blackie there sails...

ps...how big can these Blackies get...so far I have seen a few caught around the 42-43 mark...I thought mine was big till Cassie stumped me the next day with her one...was that a fish of a lifetime catch so to speak...I'm curious as to how big they could grow to...

Mine went 44 cm but hers was 2 cm longer only but it was much fatter and easily 300 grammes more in weight...

Edited by Capt Hook

Welll done, Cam!!! Great fish & well done getting him to the net. They don't always go where we would like them to!

Don't be afraid to try new or different things - that is what Peter is good at, too - a real innovator!

Can't wait to wet a line with you next time I am down!

Cheers

Roberta

Nice black fish especially from Narrabeen used to only get small ones there once upon a time. A cast of a very big black fish (can't remember if it was the oz record one) used to hang up on the wall of the Ron Harding fishing tackle shop in Manly that morphed into the dive shop, not sure where it is now. It was caught by Roy (surname? - will remeber it one day) who fished with Bluefish FC, 5-7lb were reasonably common in the murk once upon a time.