Blackfish Or Drummer?

james7

Question

Hi Raiders

This fish was caught by my father somewhere near Dalmeny on the south coast 50 years ago (before I was born). As a child, when shown the photo, I thought my father told me it was a blackfish, but I'm not sure. (Memory is a funny thing) Could it be a drummer? I realise that the photo isn't very clear. It's not important, but I was wondering if anyone can identify it. I know he was really proud of it.

Thanks

Peter

post-4381-1188266066_thumb.jpg

I reckon flathead fanatic is on the money - the bulging dorsal fin of the fish in the photo seems almost identical to the drummer in Blackfish's (awesomely helpful) photo. Also the blackfish tail has a definite concave look to it that the drummer tail doesn't, and the fish in the photo also doesn't appear to have a particularly concave tail.

Add to that the fact that blackies rarely grow that big and I reckon it's almost certainly a drummer.

As for the bluefish thing - we'll need Blackfish to go out and catch one and take a photo of its tail for us. So come on Blackfish get out there in the name of science!!

It’s amazing how much interest one old photo can generate! I think the only answer is to pass all the comments over to the “Forensic Fish CSI Team”

It’s been a great discussion and very informative. I’m going to check some more of the old family photos to see what I can find.

Thanks to all Raiders who have posted comments so far. It's great learning more about blackfish, drummer and bluefish. (I'd never heard of them before).

Cheers

Peter

PeterS, next photo could it be a Bream :1prop: certainly has generated some interest so thanks for the original post.

As for Bluefish, they are totally protected now http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...t-159-final.pdf

So they can't be Fishraiders next Social :biggrin2: .

have seen a couple in the water while diving , quite a livid dark blue. Looks like a cross between a large Sweep and a Blackfish except for the rich colour