What A Difference A Day Makes!

arpie

Hi guys

Went out today with high hopes (thought I knew what I was doing this time!) Rigged up the Black Queen with a reel & float & the first fish I got took me into the same snag the other one did yesterday ..... but this one got off!! :( Next down & I got it to the net!!! :yahoo: Had quite a few more downs (not as aggressive as yesterday) & should have hooked them, but for some reason, they got off! :1badmood: Very annoying! Tried both sides of the fence & before long the tide was running too fast, so had to move to the next spot!

Had quite a few hits & almost had 3 to the net & they got off!! Beginnning to think the Black Queen has sabotaged me! Moved to the next spot. where the guy was berlying up yesterday, but I was on the other side of the fence. :1prop:

Before the float had even settled, it was down! Missed it!! Missed the next 5 downs .... then had a whopper on! Got it half way to the yak & the bloody thing got off! This happened about 10 times!! Couldn't believe it! Was checking the hooks to make sure they had barbs on! Hooked another beautie & it really gave me stick! Got it to the side of the yak .... the local dive boat was passing & stopped to check out the progress ..... The black queen was bent in half, the tip in the water as the fish tried to make it back to the fence ..... then it pops the hook! :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2: Commiserations from all on board!

That was the story of my day today! STuffed it, one way or another! Finally got into some mullet as a bit of last minute desperation!

Do I blame the new rod setup? Not 'comfortable' with it? Shouldn't have made that much difference! Very annoyed tho!! I must have pulled the hook on at least 20-30 fish! Some of which were huge!!! I will be upgrading to 10lb trace, I think!

Till next time ....

Cheerio

Roberta

NO! I'd never blame the gear!! Besides, i tried my other rod with the same results anyway!! Maybe they were just chewing the bottom of the bait!

Tide was smaller, water was clearer, it was a hotter day & I was fishing new territory!

Edited by Roberta

Hi guys

Went out today with high hopes (thought I knew what I was doing this time!) Rigged up the Black Queen with a reel & float & the first fish I got took me into the same snag the other one did yesterday ..... but this one got off!! :( Next down & I got it to the net!!! :yahoo: Had quite a few more downs (not as aggressive as yesterday) & should have hooked them, but for some reason, they got off! :1badmood: Very annoying! Tried both sides of the fence & before long the tide was running too fast, so had to move to the next spot!

Had quite a few hits & almost had 3 to the net & they got off!! Beginnning to think the Black Queen has sabotaged me! Moved to the next spot. where the guy was berlying up yesterday, but I was on the other side of the fence. :1prop:

Before the float had even settled, it was down! Missed it!! Missed the next 5 downs .... then had a whopper on! Got it half way to the yak & the bloody thing got off! This happened about 10 times!! Couldn't believe it! Was checking the hooks to make sure they had barbs on! Hooked another beautie & it really gave me stick! Got it to the side of the yak .... the local dive boat was passing & stopped to check out the progress ..... The black queen was bent in half, the tip in the water as the fish tried to make it back to the fence ..... then it pops the hook! :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2: Commiserations from all on board!

That was the story of my day today! STuffed it, one way or another! Finally got into some mullet as a bit of last minute desperation!

Do I blame the new rod setup? Shouldn't have made that much difference! Very annoyed tho!! I must have pulled the hook on at least 20-30 fish! Some of which were huge!!! I will be upgrading to 10lb trace, I think!

Till next time ....

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta I used to love that song "What a difference a day makes" It was a fabulous song.

Roberta was it Sarah Washington who sang it or Della Reece ?

And don't say it was just before my time too coz it was No1 on the hit parade for ages and it was played on 2CH Sunday drive time every now and then for years.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewgaffer

.... sometimes you win, sometimes the fish win!!

Doesn't make it feel any better ..... and I'd already decided to release them all anyway as I'd left my keeper net at home!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta I used to love that song "What a difference a day makes" It was a fabulous song.

Roberta was it Sarah Washington who sang it or Della Reece ?

And don't say it was just before my time too coz it was No1 on the hit parade for ages and it was played on 2CH Sunday drive time every now and then for years.

Cheers

Seriouly does anyone know who sang this late 50's song the title of the topic? Sarah Washington or Della Reece? My wife Shirl wants to know too.

Seriouly does anyone know who sang this late 50's song the title of the topic? Sarah Washington or Della Reece? My wife Shirl wants to know too.

What A Difference A Day Makes

Words & Music by Maria Grever & Stanley Adams

Recorded by Dinah Washington, 1959

What a difference a day makes

Twenty-four little hours

Brought the sun and the flowers

Where there used to be rain

My yesterday was blue, dear

Today Im part of you, dear

My lonely nights are through, dear

Since you said you were mine

There's a rainbow before me

Skies above can't be stormy

Since that moment of bliss, that thrilling kiss

Its heaven when you find romance on your menu

And the difference is you

What a difference a day made

Thanks for the offer, Ceph - may have to take you up on it! I am absolutely knackered today!!! Taken the yak out 4 days running, for 4hrs each & topped it off yesterday with 6hrs!

A bit or R&R for me today, I think! Planning the next assault!

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks for the offer, Ceph - may have to take you up on it! I am absolutely knackered today!!! Taken the yak out 4 days running, for 4hrs each & topped it off yesterday with 6hrs!

A bit or R&R for me today, I think! Planning the next assault!

Cheerio

Roberta

You are lucky that you can be out there so often.. I am limited to once a week... :biggrin2:

I am going out with a guide on Friday to chase Luderick in the Harbour. I am very excited. :yahoo:

What A Difference A Day Makes

Words & Music by Maria Grever & Stanley Adams

Recorded by Dinah Washington, 1959

Twenty-four little hours

Brought the sun and the flowers

Where there used to be rain

My yesterday was blue, dear

Today Im part of you, dear

My lonely nights are through, dear

Since you said you were mine

What a difference a day made

Thanks so much for your help Donna. Shirl and I really love that old song and as we sang the words together last night it brought back fond memories of good times and nice places.

Cheers

Roberta

When you start to get downs that you cannot hook most people think small fish. In a lot of cases this is not so. It is fish that are playing with your bait and this lead to just hooking them and the hook comes out during the fight

If you are getting bites that you cannot hook or start to loose more fish that you are used to. Attach a small split shot about half way along your leader. I have found in the past that this gives a more direct indication on the float and has allowed me to catch fish when others have failed.

Cheers

Kingpig

Thanks for that Kingpig! Will try that next time it happens! Will also upgrade my trace to 10lb! I reckon, after the first 10-15 got off, I probably started setting the hook with a bit too much effort, too, virtually pulling it from their mouths! The really annoying thing was the number that I actually had on, almost to the yak, that got off!!! :1badmood:

Roberta

Thanks for that Kingpig! Will try that next time it happens! Will also upgrade my trace to 10lb! I reckon, after the first 10-15 got off, I probably started setting the hook with a bit too much effort, too, virtually pulling it from their mouths! The really annoying thing was the number that I actually had on, almost to the yak, that got off!!! :1badmood:

Roberta

Hi Roberta.

Not that I'm all that conversed with blackfish or suggesting this at all, but has anyone tried strong back to back hooks say the smaller #10's on blackfish? Just had a thought that's all.

regards

ps I didn't mean you try fishing again tomorrow when I referred to the title of your topic, but just asking about the singer of the beautiful song and Roberta we really thought you'd know as it is a very well written song :thumbup:

What do you think of the words. Could be just the inspiration for good fishing if you play it just before you go out there, ay?

In Ballina the boys "when in a hurry" often use smaller fly hooks on bream and just cut the hook off and clip another one if need be

JG.

Hi JG

I know of the song, but was only 6 when it came out ..... not quite my time frame! Can't even remember the tune! :(

When you say 'back to back' hooks - is that 2 hooks, one under the other on the same trace or 2 tied together (like an incomplete treble!?) I don't usually use the tiny hooks - 9 or 10 are my normal hook of choice.

I am pretty sure I'll get back to normal soon & bring them to the net! It would be great to try it from a boat in those spots, tho - it would give you such better striking power than being at water level in the yak!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi JG

I know of the song, but was only 6 when it came out ..... not quite my time frame! Can't even remember the tune! :(

When you say 'back to back' hooks - is that 2 hooks, one under the other on the same trace or 2 tied together (like an incomplete treble!?) I don't usually use the tiny hooks - 9 or 10 are my normal hook of choice.

I am pretty sure I'll get back to normal soon & bring them to the net! It would be great to try it from a boat in those spots, tho - it would give you such better striking power than being at water level in the yak!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta

You can snell two hooks together back to back which will spin to give better penentration angles so the pull of a fish is bi directional which makes for a more solid hook up. Also two hook set ups are available welded back to back.

Was there any possiblity, in your last outing, that the large number of blackfish that dropped your hook were due to using undersized hooks having insufficient depth in the semi circle of metal which encloses the barb?

Perhaps our experienced blackfish players might give an opinion on this.

If ever I have fish drop hooks a coupe of times I up the size of the hook.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

[hi jewgaffer :1fishing1:

i agree , the deeper the gape the less chance of the fish getting off

with blackies i find when playing them they tend to swing on the hook like a pendelum and if the hook has a small gape they swing off the hook its just the way blackies fight ,different to other fish like mullet or jew for instance

peter :1fishing1:

i agree , the deeper the gape the less chance of the fish getting off

with blackies i find when playing them they tend to swing on the hook like a pendelum and if the hook has a small gape they swing off the hook its just the way blackies fight ,different to other fish like mullet or jew for instance

peter :1fishing1:

Hi Peter

I'm wondering how two hooks would go on blackfish snelled together back to back and giving consideration to the first factor - the effects of how it would affect weed platting, which would simply be add a mirror reverse presentation when you think about it

And the second factor - due to the size of mouth of a blackfish - I was thinking about other possibilities including snelling even two smaller good strong suicide style back to back {fly hooks}, Peter ?

Regards

i have caught blackies with a 1/0 hook when they are on the chew

the mirror image hook would be great but take a long time to de-hook the fish but good for putting the weed on maybe a set of ganged no 8 s might be the go :1prop:

peter

i have caught blackies with a 1/0 hook when they are on the chew

the mirror image hook would be great but take a long time to de-hook the fish but good for putting the weed on maybe a set of ganged no 8 s might be the go :1prop:

peter

:thumbup:

And two ganged hooks would certainly hold weed and cabbage on much better too !!!

Regards