Snapper Combo

Le Pasha

Hey boys, looking to set up a combo to fish for snapper at the Hump. I am sure you guys know the size of fish encountered at the Hump after reading some of Ross' reports and viewing the pics, and some are thumpers, so need some tackle to suit.

For the reel I am pretty well set on a baitrunner 4500 loaded with 6-8kg braid. These are proven and you cant go past the baitrunner feature especially for snapper.

It is more so the rod that I was looking for advice on. Looking for something that can handle the above line class. We will be bait fishing only, so dont need a rod that is capable of doing plastics work, just bait.

I was thinking maybe either a Nitro Viper 6-8kg Inshore 7' or Shimano Bluewater Saltwater 702 Spin 6-10kg.

Any opinions on the above rods are appreciated, and also feel free to recommend any other rod that you can think of, we are new to reds fishing after heavy game and I am sure you guys can recommend others if you dont think these are suitable. MAX. price $300 (price of nitro)

Thanks,

Daniel

If your only going to fish 6-8kg braid then the 3500 baitrunner will be fine. The 4500 would be the choice if you want to run mono. Rod wise if you want to fish mainly with baits then go for something a bit softer than the high modulus graphite rods that you have suggested. You may find that with braid and a stiff graphite rod you will pull a few hooks and a rod like a crystal blue powertip will fit the job fine and save you a few bucks also. If you want something a bit nicer then a 6-8kg 7ft live fibre will be very hard to beat.

Cheers Shane.

Edited by shane87

I have one of Tonys Snapper sticks in the 4 to 6 kg class and its awesome for pulling Reds :biggrin2:

Give Tony a call and get a price on one ,you wont be dissapointed :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Tony sure makes great rods :thumbup: .

As for factory rods, the Nitro Viper is nice however the T-Curve Kingmack is better for reds in my opinion. The Shimano Bluewater Saltwater 702 Spin 6-10kg is perhaps the worst rod in the T-Curve range for mine. Certainly not worth its asking price.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at the Kingmack. While its not quite as good as Tony's customs, it would marry well with your 4500 Baitrunner.

Cheers

Red

Thanks Red and Stewy, I had a chat with Tony and while I agree with your comments about the quality of the rods, they are a little too expensive for me, however they do look awesome.

Do you think that a King Mack is a little too heavy at 8-12kg???? It looks a nice rod but thats a little heavy for reds. The Nitro Viper is 6-8kg and I have heard nothing but good reports on them, especially regarding there warranty and replacement policy. Red, thanks for the advice on the bluewater spin.

I am still leaning towards a Nitro Viper 6-8. Has anyone used one or knows anything about them? As I said go ahead and recommend anything else you want to.

Daniel

The Shimano Bluewater Saltwater 702 Spin 6-10kg is perhaps the worst rod in the T-Curve range for mine. Certainly not worth its asking price.

Cheers

Red

Why is that mate?

I thought that rod looked awsome for my future (not sure how far into the future) Kingfish outfit.

IFS

Why is that mate?

I thought that rod looked awsome for my future (not sure how far into the future) Kingfish outfit.

IFS

Le Pasha...mate look at the new Daiwa Saltwater series...i just got one for myself and they are awesome rods

Le Pasha...mate look at the new Daiwa Saltwater series...i just got one for myself and they are awesome rods

Thanks Netic mate, do you know any specifics about the rod? How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

Anyone know anything about the Nitro Viper??????????

Daniel

Mate the rod cost me just under just under $200 but it retails for around $250....awesome sticks designed for snapper fishing.......

I have the daiwa Saltwater 8-14lb 7ft as i also plan to use it to cast plastics for snapper.....but they have some heavier versions it needed......

here are some pics

post-1441-1188474601_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1188474656_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1188474697_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1188474763_thumb.jpg

Why is that mate?

IFS

G'day IFS, i've owned just about every T-Curve in the range but refuse to buy one of them. The Kingmack is another story as are the 15-24kg Bluewater spins. I will never part with these sticks. The Kingmack is good for reds and is best rated 8-10kg.

Seriously though, all you need for reds is a 7ft medium Silstar Powertip. Excellent bait fishing rod.

Cheers

Red

G'day IFS, i've owned just about every T-Curve in the range but refuse to buy one of them. The Kingmack is another story as are the 15-24kg Bluewater spins. I will never part with these sticks. The Kingmack is good for reds and is best rated 8-10kg.

Seriously though, all you need for reds is a 7ft medium Silstar Powertip. Excellent bait fishing rod.

Cheers

Red

Hi Red.

One of my good jewfishing mates Andrew (Humesy) said you were knowledgable and a good bloke too. Thought I'd ask you about your 15-24kilo "Bluewater"? spinners.

Are they ugly stiks ?

Your bluewater rods may be a streamlined version for the Asia Pacific market of my own yankee ugly stik 10-50lb Tiger rods?

Tigers are one helluva of a rod and I have 10 of them. I gifted one each a few years back to my Ballina mates Jimmy Bowers, Jay Cottrell jakjayno1 ( 21.8kg Tweed River Giant Trevally in my recent fishing report) and Phil "Fish Killl" Scott the Lennox/Ballina young gun.

Jimmy Bowers an old fishing mate of Stewy, is also one of the best rod makers around. Jimmy made me and one of my sons a dirty big beach rod about 15 years ago from an original Butterworth blank (before Sneider rods took over the mantles) and often supplies custom built rods to his tackle shop mates up there. I've noticed all three boys use their Tigers rods whenever they up their line rating.

Regards Red

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Jewgaffer, i've enjoyed reading your informative threads :thumbup: . Firstly, give my regards to Humesy. I promised to take him out for a session on the jewfish and will keep that promise. Just waiting for the best time. My enthusiasm for chasing the mighty jewfish has been somewhat supressed in recent times - due to renewed interest in other species however the effort will be made to fit in at least half a dozen sessions this coming season.

Sorry for the confusion, the 15-24kg Bluewater's mentioned are the T-Curve ones. They are 7ft 6" long and are one hell of a rod for solid jewfish and other species. Since Shimano bought-out Loomis, their factory rods have improved out of site. My T-Curves are loaded with 50 and 65lb braid. They are purely a heavy spin stick and are certainly not as versatile as the Tiger rods you speak of. I kind of remember the old Ugly Stick Tiger series that were brought into the country. I think they were a yellow/mustard colour. They were awesome factory rods as are these T-Curve Bluewaters which have top quality components that help to justify the price tag. Took one up to the Ribbon reefs and threw it at everything from GT's on poppers, Spaniards, to unstoppable bottom dwelling beasts. That is the ultimate tackle testing playground and can't wait to get back up there in a six weeks. Only problem is, fishing Sydney is soooo depressing after a trip to paradise.

Regards

Red

G'day Jewgaffer, i've enjoyed reading your informative threads :thumbup: . Firstly, give my regards to Humesy. I promised to take him out for a session on the jewfish and will keep that promise. Just waiting for the best time. My enthusiasm for chasing the mighty jewfish has been somewhat supressed in recent times - due to renewed interest in other species however the effort will be made to fit in at least half a dozen sessions this coming season.

Sorry for the confusion, the 15-24kg Bluewater's mentioned are the T-Curve ones. They are 7ft 6" long and are one hell of a rod for solid jewfish and other species. Since Shimano bought-out Loomis, their factory rods have improved out of site. My T-Curves are loaded with 50 and 65lb braid. They are purely a heavy spin stick and are certainly not as versatile as the Tiger rods you speak of. I kind of remember the old Ugly Stick Tiger series that were brought into the country. I think they were a yellow/mustard colour. They were awesome factory rods as are these T-Curve Bluewaters which have top quality components that help to justify the price tag. Took one up to the Ribbon reefs and threw it at everything from GT's on poppers, Spaniards, to unstoppable bottom dwelling beasts. That is the ultimate tackle testing playground and can't wait to get back up there in a six weeks. Only problem is, fishing Sydney is soooo depressing after a trip to paradise.

Regards

Red

Hi Red I was only a little confused when you mentioned you wouldn't part with your Bluewaters because I thought Bluewater must have been a real good Sh/pr ugly Asia Pacific for Aust. model and wondered what the blank was, not knowing shimano had one of the water names too.

Yes my Ugly Stik 10-50 lb Tiger rods are the yellow ones with black and red wraps and gold trim and all my 10 tigers are exactly the same. The exact same tigers whch you refer to were imported into Australia in the 80's They haven't changed anything from that time on and I still have a few oldies.

They were known in Australia "as the rod" and the "rod of the year" and come out of the ub8 blank (Ugly blank no.8) and are available in o/hds as well. Tiger rods were as dear as diamonds over here, they didn't stock them for long because of that.

They are still big sellers in U.S. Tackle Shops today at cheap discounted prices due to the high numbers of them they sell.

My other newer ones are about 8 years old and I got them direct from mates in Columbia S.C., George & Danny Colvin for just over half price as they live about 300 yds from the S.C. Sh/pr ugly stik main plant.

If any member wants to get in touch with George and Danny to get Tigers, no worries.

I have their email address.

I'm willing to help coz they had quite a few bigwater rods and etc Manns stuff left and sell reels, rods & odds and ends at the Columbia flea markets as the U.S. works different to us with overruns and surplus etc..

Red I owe Andrew Humesy about two sessions and its my turn to take the boat, so if you promised Andrew a session, you might like to travel up to Brooklyn with Andrew, as he has already moved up Narrabeen way.

Red I'll let Andrew know and if you like pm me.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I hope I am not putting irrelevant information in this post for the topic starter.

Mate the rod cost me just under just under $200 but it retails for around $250....awesome sticks designed for snapper fishing.......

I have the daiwa Saltwater 8-14lb 7ft as i also plan to use it to cast plastics for snapper.....but they have some heavier versions it needed......

here are some pics

post-1441-1188474601_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1188474656_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1188474697_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1188474763_thumb.jpg

I can agree with Netic about these rods, i own the slightly heavier 10-17lb, going to get a lot of use up north