Fishing Cronulla

james7

My first fishing report, but unfortunately not much to say. For the first time in three months, I headed out of Port Hacking with mates Peter K and Syd. First drop and those bloody little jackets attacked us. We couldn’t shake them. Moved all over Bate Bay, but they were everywhere. Luckily we only lost about 5 rigs between us.

post-4381-1188462904_thumb.jpg

Eventually, fellow Raider Peter Koch managed to get through the swarming jackets to get a couple of flatties. Only one was a keeper (46cm) so the day wasn’t a complete waste of time. The jackets returned again so we decided to call it a day - much earlier than anticipated. The wind had pumped up a bit so it was probably the best option.

Not many fish to report, but it was great to be on the water again.

post-4381-1188462952_thumb.jpg

Hopefully next time will be better.

Cheers

Peter

My first fishing report, but unfortunately not much to say. For the first time in three months, I headed out of Port Hacking with mates Peter K and Syd. First drop and those bloody little jackets attacked us. We couldn’t shake them. Moved all over Bate Bay, but they were everywhere. Luckily we only lost about 5 rigs between us.

post-4381-1188462904_thumb.jpg

Eventually, fellow Raider Peter Koch managed to get through the swarming jackets to get a couple of flatties. Only one was a keeper (46cm) so the day wasn’t a complete waste of time. The jackets returned again so we decided to call it a day - much earlier than anticipated. The wind had pumped up a bit so it was probably the best option.

Not many fish to report, but it was great to be on the water again.

post-4381-1188462952_thumb.jpg

Hopefully next time will be better.

Cheers

Peter

Hi peterS

:1welcomeani: on your 1st fishing report. Looking forward to more reports from you and the boys, that's for sure.

Pretty quiey, ay? The boys look right on the ball for when the big fish start to come in !

Also mate, the jacket plague. No good putting the wire on in case the bigger ones come in behind them?

Regards,

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Peter that is almost a replica of the day we had yesterday, only the wind died down in the afternoon.

Those leatherjackets are amazing. I saw one eat my braid about 5m below the surface. The bait was some 15m below this mongrel. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Nice flattie there mate.

IMHO, a day on the water is never wasted mate.

Pretty quiey, ay? The boys look right on the ball for when the big fish start to come in !

Also mate, the jacket plague. No good putting the wire on in case the bigger ones come in behind them?

Regards,

jewgaffer

What amazes me is that I've tried using wire, rigs over 5m in fact and those jackets still bite it off above that! Incredible!

I'd love to hear from someone that has a solution. Over the last three years I've left about 40kg of my lead scattered from Kurnell to Garie!

C'mon super smart Raiders, invent an anti-jacket rig or some form of repellant! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

What amazes me is that I've tried using wire, rigs over 5m in fact and those jackets still bite it off above that! Incredible!

I'd love to hear from someone that has a solution. Over the last three years I've left about 40kg of my lead scattered from Kurnell to Garie!

C'mon super smart Raiders, invent an anti-jacket rig or some form of repellant! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

Cripes Peter those ones must have teeth like underwater chain saws try welding a dozen hooks direct to the downrigger bomb :mad3::wacko:

Edited by jewgaffer

Cripes Peter those ones must have teeth like underwater chain saws try welding a dozen hooks direct to the downrigger bomb

jewgaffer

It's amazing that the jackets can get through 15kg line like it was cotton. I've never had them bite through the wire, but they do bite the line above the wire so that you lose not only all the rig (hooks, swivels and sinkers), but the wire as well! It starts getting expensive.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Guys,

the only way that I've found is stop the jakets biting through line is don't touch your line after you have handled the bait or rebaited the hooks.

Always wash/rinse your hands after baiting up or handling bait and when you bring your line in try to only handle the hooks.

This is a bit of an old fishwifes tale but in the last 3 trips offshore off bate bay have caught many jackets without a single bite off.

hope it helps next time

Casper

the only way that I've found is stop the jakets biting through line is don't touch your line after you have handled the bait or rebaited the hooks.

Always wash/rinse your hands after baiting up or handling bait and when you bring your line in try to only handle the hooks.

This is a bit of an old fishwifes tale but in the last 3 trips offshore off bate bay have caught many jackets without a single bite off.

hope it helps next time

Casper

Thanks Casper. Sounds like good advice and I'll definately give it a go.

I still don't understand how or why the jackets sometimes bite the line 10m above the rig?? It obviously hasn't been touched by your hands as it's on the reel.

If the jackets are of a decent size and congegated under the boat, I cut off about 3m of line to use as a handline, put on a small long shank hook with a very small piece of bait. It's deadly! We scored over sixty good size jackets on the boat one afternoon in Bate Bay.

Cheers

Peter

QUOTE(peterS @ Aug 31 2007, 09:26 AM)

C'mon super smart Raiders, invent an anti-jacket rig or some form of repellant!

Cheers

Peter

Cripes Peter those ones must have teeth like underwater chain saws try welding a dozen hooks direct to the downrigger bomb

Hi Guys,

hope it helps next time

Casper

Hi Casper.Those old housewifes may all agree that bait on your hands can burley up the lines when fish are in frenzy.

My mate Taren Point Julius prefers wearing surgical gloves and passes them to me , a smoker, when I'm preparing our jew baits.

I'm sure it's another good thing to get right and keep your mind positive when targetting jew.

And Pete, in your case, I mean using the downrigger cable as your line mate :1yikes::biggrin2:

Cheers

Hi Casper. Those old housewifes may all agree that bait on your hands can burley up the lines when fish are in frenzy. My mate Taren Point Julius prefers wearing surgical gloves and passes them to me, a smoker, when I'm preparing our jew baits. I'm sure it's another good thing to get right and keep your mind positive when targetting jew.

Cheers

jewgaffer

As a matter of interest Jewgaffer, I had a mate years ago that would always rub a bit of fish oil onto his hands before touching the bait. He said that your hands picked up all kinds of scents that could discourage the fish from biting. He also believed that the reason bananas were considered "bad luck" on a boat was related to fish being repelled by a banana "scent".

Cheers

Peter

As a matter of interest Jewgaffer, I had a mate years ago that would always rub a bit of fish oil onto his hands before touching the bait. He said that your hands picked up all kinds of scents that could discourage the fish from biting. He also believed that the reason bananas were considered "bad luck" on a boat was related to fish being repelled by a banana "scent".

Cheers

Peter

Most definitley, Pete.

And I don't know much about bananas but I have heard of a banana skin and a budgee feather being used for a lure. Perhaps others might like to tell us about bananas, so we can all get more banana knowledge and I recently saw a deep sea pic and a big thumbs down to some floating bananas in the post :biggrin2:

And I don't know much about bananas but I have heard of a banana skin and a budgee feather being used for a lure. Perhaps others might like to tell us about bananas, so we can all get more banana knowledge and I recently saw a deep sea pic and a big thumbs down to some floating bananas in the post

jewgaffer

Jewgaffer, what do you think about having a Fishraider fishing competition where "fruit", including bananas, is the only bait allowed! :yahoo:

There could be prizes for the biggest flathead caught with a piece of peach! Or the biggest tuna caught with a slice of tomato! :074:

Cheers

Peter

Raiders, is the plague of leather jackets just around Sydney or are they right up and down the coast?

Does anyone know why they are in such huge numbers?

When fishing with my father in the sixties and seventies, I don't remember so many jackets being around or hanging around so long.

Cheers

Peter

Jewgaffer, what do you think about having a Fishraider fishing competition where "fruit", including bananas, is the only bait allowed! :yahoo:

There could be prizes for the biggest flathead caught with a piece of peach! Or the biggest tuna caught with a slice of tomato! :074:

Cheers

Peter

Cripes Pete you've now got me into my four eyed high beam mode and thinking very seriously about this, and I must say I do like your idea of tomato on tuna :wacko: and I would use cauliflower on blackfish, and a large turnip or a cob of corn on jew. :thumbup:

I've already asked Shirl to buy garlic and onions with mustard and hot chillies for the heavy metal on hairtail, and I'm certain a whole rock melon would be a knock on eels, and ask round for a large acorn to severely damage the bream.

A Fishraider fruit only tournament would have to be set up as a handicap and I may win the ugliest freak of the day award, just on sheer number of fly blown rasberrys :1yikes::(

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1::074:

Cripes Pete you've now got me into my four eyed high beam mode and thinking very seriously about this, and I must say I do like your idea of tomato on tuna and I would use cauliflower on blackfish, and a large turnip or a cob of corn on jew.

I've already asked Shirl to buy garlic and onions with mustard and hot chillies for the heavy metal on hairtail, and I'm certain a whole rock melon would be a knock on eels, and ask round for a large acorn to severely damage the bream.

A Fishraider fruit only tournament would have to be set up as a handicap and I may win the ugliest freak of the day award, just on sheer number of fly blown rasberrys

Cheers

jewgaffer

I'm geared up and ready to go jewgaffer!

I'm going to hit the water tomorrow with my secret rigs and most importantly the best and freshest bait!

post-4381-1188534768_thumb.jpg

jewgaffer, I just love your replies! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

ewgaffer :1fishing1:

cabbage or lettuce for the blackies not cauilflower :biggrin2:

maybe even a bunch of grapes

peter :1fishing1:

Pete. Yes my mistake. Lettuce, cabbbabe and spinach on blackfish not cauliflower, they're out of favour in winter.

I've checked as ok - radish on salmon, sultanas on mullet, and the left over raisons as raisons on toast with the coffee on our Hawkesbury trip with Royce, who's busy punishing eel in the moat round his castle in England, and Roberta who's now relocated 17 guides and almost got her new Black Queen quick release blackfish rod, back on the backbone and spine :yahoo::thumbup:

Cheers