My Bait Tank Setup!

wildfish

after i posted to find out where to get a plastic drum and had a few answers i went shopping and found a nice 40/45 litre drumwhich i really liked the size of but it was a little short for the setup i wanted so i looked around to get a box made up so i could raise the drum which i thought would be great as i would trim the box in marine carped and it would look fully sic!

i found a local kitchen maker who said hed do it. id have it on friday! well that was 4 weeks ago! waiting waiting!

well i came across the exact drum i wanted 2 weeks ago so changed the plans!

i didnt want to drill holes in my hull so i sikaflexed the pump on! and th drum had to sit higher than the side of the boat so the overflow could run off!

should get its 1st run tomorrow!

cost: around $110

post-3094-1188643867_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1188643892_thumb.jpg

post-3094-1188643906_thumb.jpg

Edited by wildfish

If you can you should run (extend) the inlet hose from the pump down into the bottom of the tank.

Without seeing a pic of the inside of the tank, you might find that all the new water sits on the top and goes straight out the outlet overflow, meaning little new water actually reaches the bottom on the tank.

See how it goesfirst , it all depends what sort of bait you are keeping alive. Yakkas are generally pretty hardy.

cheers, Rod

top stuff thats the same as wat i made up but you may have to look at putting the inlet at the bottom of the drum i had it set up like you to start with and found the flow just was not happening so i got another drum put the inlet at the bottom and it works a treat its all trial and error give it a go if your happy with it leave it the way it is. good to see people making them on their own and spending time on them rather than going out and just buying them your always happier at the end knowing you made it by yourself and it works great

cheers mick

hey pops punt!

nothing to it, the inlet fitting($7) connects to hose both sides, i have the same hose inside that just runs to the bottom. too easy. the outlet side fitting($10) is just a flush hole on the inside for it to overflow oute the overflow tube!

ill post a pic thisafternoon!

gday breamhunter!

seems to flow ok with fresh water but ill soon see how it goes!

top stuff thats the same as wat i made up but you may have to look at putting the inlet at the bottom of the drum i had it set up like you to start with and found the flow just was not happening so i got another drum put the inlet at the bottom and it works a treat its all trial and error give it a go if your happy with it leave it the way it is. good to see people making them on their own and spending time on them rather than going out and just buying them your always happier at the end knowing you made it by yourself and it works great

cheers mick

Hey how do you guys put the inlet at the bottom of the tank without siphoning all the water back out when the pump is off?

after i posted to find out where to get a plastic drum and had a few answers i went shopping and found a nice 40/45 litre drumwhich i really liked the size of but it was a little short for the setup i wanted so i looked around to get a box made up so i could raise the drum which i thought would be great as i would trim the box in marine carped and it would look fully sic!

i found a local kitchen maker who said hed do it. id have it on friday! well that was 4 weeks ago! waiting waiting!

well i came across the exact drum i wanted 2 weeks ago so changed the plans!

i didnt want to drill holes in my hull so i sikaflexed the pump on! and th drum had to sit higher than the side of the boat so the overflow could run off!

should get its 1st run tomorrow!

cost: around $110

Awesome live bait tank set up Luke :1yikes:

All jokes aside mate, try to use a longer hose and run it permanently into the water in between refreshing your live bait.

That way you will create a permanent waterfall volcano! Burley good quality burley into the mouth of the volcano and you'll be surprized how many volcanos it'll make.

And fish travel for miles to inspect a volcano !!! :1yikes::yahoo:

Cheers

Byron

jewgaffer

PS

We'll tee up whatever IS EASIEST for the compusory Fishraider Marine Licence Course and there'll be a terrific free feast at Kingsgrove RSL, I tell ya mate :1yikes:

Neat set up Luke :thumbup:

Good to see you know about making the drain hole

bigger than the intake

It fits really nice under the bait table

Roylo

best way to stop syphoning from the intake is simply

to drill a bleed hole above the water line in the pipe

to break the syphon, the other advantage gained from

this is it will pump a stream to break the surface tension

of the water in the tank to help gas exchange and keep

the O2 levels up :biggrin2:

Chris

hey roylo!

as chris55 said i took the advise from a previous post and drilled a tiny breather hole towards the top of the tank(in the hose that is).

and chris55 the overflow was slightly smaller in test mode and the tank was overflowing so i changed to larger version! though now im running with the inlet down to the bottom its slowed enough i could get away with it. but i guess now i can upgrade the pump no dramas!

james i dont care too much for the livies, i cant wait to get some presious dollies & kings! :yahoo:

ps: i tested it today and it ran well!

Edited by wildfish

Roylo

best way to stop syphoning from the intake is simply

to drill a bleed hole above the water line in the pipe

to break the syphon, the other advantage gained from

this is it will pump a stream to break the surface tension

of the water in the tank to help gas exchange and keep

the O2 levels up :biggrin2:

Chris

Cool, thanks I didnt know about that. I ended up putting a one-way valve in mine but Ill drill a hole next time.

Nice setup by the way wildfish. Plenty big, should work well.