Total Noob At Sp's

landbased

As the topic says I'm a total noob at sp's but I would like to start using them as they look like heaps of fun :)

The prolem is Ihave no idea whatsoever on how to use them or what type to use rigs etc.

I'm thinking to try Tom Ugly's or Capt cook tomorrow as its my day off. I am landbased as I have no access to boats. I did buy a shimano 6' overhead combo with bait caster but am still learning how to use that :D

so I will prolly use one of my spinning rods with some crystal 6lb fire line. Any suggestions on what to pick up at the tackle shop in the morn would be useful. also if there are any spots that you could suggest I would appreciate it (doesn't have to be georges ) any species but i think mainly bream or flatties.

thanks

Chris

Tell you what you could do ?

Get a "Squidgy estuary pack" which comes with Squidgy Secrets Part 1 and Part 2 DVD's and a tackle box with variety of jigs and plastics. That is all you will need for starters.

Regarding where to fish, just have a browse through this site or just get out there and fish all different spots until you find one that produces and that will be your very own Spot X !

As the topic says I'm a total noob at sp's but I would like to start using them as they look like heaps of fun :)

The prolem is Ihave no idea whatsoever on how to use them or what type to use rigs etc.

I'm thinking to try Tom Ugly's or Capt cook tomorrow as its my day off. I am landbased as I have no access to boats. I did buy a shimano 6' overhead combo with bait caster but am still learning how to use that :D

so I will prolly use one of my spinning rods with some crystal 6lb fire line. Any suggestions on what to pick up at the tackle shop in the morn would be useful. also if there are any spots that you could suggest I would appreciate it (doesn't have to be georges ) any species but i think mainly bream or flatties.

thanks

Chris

I was a newby not long ago, I've found the bass minnows and squidgy wriggers best on bream while flatties will take anything. fish as light as the wing/current/depth will let you, the lighter the line and jighead weight the less the fish get spooked. i have found the jigheads without the the plug but rather the types that have the little hook to holf the plastic in place (eg squidgy finnesse) jigheads the best, because they dont have the annoying plug thing on the end of it that deforms the shape of the plastic. the hook quality also seems to be good. for a beginner, its also hell alot easier to rig up

plastic wise, if the water's clear stick with natural colors, if its murky you might wanna try easier viasable colors or colors that cast a sillouette. some things to try are atomic fat grubs in 2 inch, squidy wriggles in bloodworm, bass minnow in watermelon 3 inch, gulp sandworm or turtleback worm in bloodworm, or camo. these and sx40's and halco scorpions and river2 sea baby vibes are the only things i ever use. for pelagics i only have ever used bass minnow in varying sizes with great success. The trick is to match the bait, if you see scools of bait 3 inch, use a 3 inch. bream are smart and are more hesitant in my opinion, smaller sizes will probably get more hits. i see everyone using shads for jewies, but i havent properly fished for jewies yet.

make sure you always hit the bottom, i have caught all my bream when the lure is sitting on the bottom, and all my pelagics on the drop!

knowing where the fish hold. I have a place that i have fished since i was 6, and i know exactly where they hold, i pretty much catch fish every time i go to my favorite spots. when im on unfamiliar ground, catching fish still is sometimes hard for me

one mistake i had when first stating was not fishing them slow and soft, you dont need crazy jerks of the rod, soft enough to get desired action is enough. (for bream) for pelagics ive found they take them on the drop, and if nothing happens, rip is back up fast and let it drop again.

finally, stick with it, i wasnt catching anything except for flatties and went back to using bait, then i stuck with it, refined my techniques im cathing flatties to small pelagics. now i am a plastic snob. i only fish plastics, its alot more rewarding when u catch things with plastic, even if its a 30cm tailor or flattie.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just went out on my lunch break and bought a good graphite rod 6'6 and some kokoda 9cm plastics in natural colours (cant remeber the type or colour but I'll have a look when I go out to the car) The guy at the shop said they are the ones to use so I got them :)

I'll report on my first ever sp fishing day tomorrow :P-

Thanks for the replies guys. I just went out on my lunch break and bought a good graphite rod 6'6 and some kokoda 9cm plastics in natural colours (cant remeber the type or colour but I'll have a look when I go out to the car) The guy at the shop said they are the ones to use so I got them :)

I'll report on my first ever sp fishing day tomorrow :P-

Woh 9cm is too big for Bream :thumbdown:

Lets hope that was a misprint :074:

For Bream or anything estuary i would recomend 2" (5cm) grubs in bloodworm or pumpkinseed on a #4 Hook 1.5gram (1/16oz) jig head. When you rig it make sure it is STRAIGHT and give it a couple of test drops at you feet, if you like it's action chances are the fish will too :thumbup:

Remember fish slow with plenty of pauses and watch that slack line when the lure is sitting on the bottom, because that when the fish will pick it up.

Good luck

BM

O.K First sp fishing report.

Got out of the house at about 7.30 went to Tom Ugly's for an hour or so But got nothing :(

Tried changing palstics but dead. I kinda thought it would be there so I made contingency plans.

When to the new location which happened to be the Gunamatta baths and stayed there for a few hours happily casting but getting nothing untill I changed to a Gulp 2" baby shrimp in baby penny with 1/8 oz

when I got a big hit but failed to hook up :mad3: I stayed there for about another hour trying under the boats and parralell to the baths but no more luck :( After that I went to the Capt Cook bridge for about another hour but no luck. Finally I decided to go to the Cooks river groines cast there for a few hours but zip :1yikes:

All I can say in my defence tho is that all the bait fisho's in the same places wern't even getting touches on their baits so that makes me feel better.

List of sp's used:

Gulp 2" baby shrimp in new penny

atomic 2" fat grub in motor oil gold

kokoda 9cm finger bait 1/8 oz #2 chem sharpened hook in gold and silver

(it says on the pack they are specifialy for bream flathead and bass tho)

and finally

Berkley powerbait 3" swimmin pogy in mackerel.

No fish but I'll tell you that the way I got that one and only bite I think I will stick with the plastics as I havent felt a bite that aggressive for a long time :drool:

hey mate, congrats on the first hit, getting a first hit in your first session is a very good start, and by the way you described it and since it was a shrimp its most probably a bream, so getting a first hit let alone a bream hit you've done better than me and alot of ppl i know that first started, keep fishing plastics exclusively and you will be catching more fish than with bait in no time.

another way to get you familiar with knowing what the line looks like when you get a touch is just to fish unweighted, bread or pillie cubes drifted to the bottom, leave a bit of slack in the line and let the fish run with it a metre before you stick, use this principle with plastics as well! this meathod is far too easy and not challanging but its good to get the feel of it.

Yer I kinda thought it was a bream. I think that I tried to set the hook too early thats why I lost that one :)

I think I got excited by the aggressivness of the hit :05:

next time I'll let it run first and see how that goes. I hope I'll get a ride in the social with a plastics guy that way I can learn more :D

Also I'm thinking that I wont use bait at all this year anymore and try plastics only. The biggest benifit in my kids eyes is that I wont smell like a bait shop anymore :lol:

Edited by landbased

Yer I kinda thought it was a bream. I think that I tried to set the hook too early thats why I lost that one :)

I think I got excited by the aggressivness of the hit :05:

next time I'll let it run first and see how that goes. I hope I'll get a ride in the social with a plastics guy that way I can learn more :D

Also I'm thinking that I wont use bait at all this year anymore and try plastics only. The biggest benifit in my kids eyes is that I wont smell like a bait shop anymore :lol:

i find with plastics if u let them run too long they will eventually drop it. so u gotta find that middle ground

as for smelling like fish, yes i totally agree, and i always have the flick stick in the back of the car with a little tacklebox with basic sp gear, whenever i pass a strtch of water or if i got time to kill on a break, or on my way home i can try to smash some bream.

me and my mate have arguments about the best places to spin.... he likes wide open mud and sand flats away from civilisation. i do too, but am happy to spin jettys walls, rock bars, wherever....

if there is current running always try to cast up current...

the key is working out how to get your lure to run in the right spot for the longest time possible...

as for the lure pack saying bream bass flathead lol i have a 65 metall jig that says it will catch trout amongst other things ....

tackle companies are in the business of selling tackle lol.....at the end of last season to make a point i used only lures that i had, and bought no refills....one session i pulled 19 flatthead on a rainbow trout wriggler that my mate gave me lmao... flattys eat anything... we are starting to assume that plastics are slightly less effective than a well placed live bait, but more effective because of the time saved and ground covered.

nJOY