Additional Size And Bag Limits - Added In The Dark

Luringbream

Hey all

Everything has its place and there should be a balance in the whole scheme of things. The new size/bag limits have been placed on every fishing site on the web in australia. And to those that have licenses you should have recieved info in the mail about this upcoming change,,,,,,, that is if your details match those on Fisheries database and you havent moved recently :biggrin2:

I understand the anger of those that do get pinched. However I was told by Fisheries the other day when they checked me and I had a 65er in the esky, that they will be leniant till nov/dec this year only then will they be fining people for keeping undersize fish. Also asked them why there was no major public campaign, and I was told that it was considered a waste of time considering alot of people dont fish in winter, but then again alot do or at least that I know. :biggrin2:

I do know these changes will PO alot of people but alot of people with also applaud it! Just the way it is......... But if it helps our fishing stocks Im all for it, and so is Greg!

Point of interest at the moment, the USA is having to remap all of its major water tributaries due to the human factor. On average most waterways have lost 10-15% of all water stocks. Same could be happening here,,, water+humans= probs, no matter what is or is not done.

A interesting question,,,, " What if our bag limits and sizes were grossely over-estimated many years ago, and all we have been doing is taking undersize fish for the last 20yrs (ie bream 45cm, kingys 75cm, jews 80cm), how would you fix it'.... I was asked this by my lecturer Bill Gladstone @ Newie Uni in a enviromental ethics and morals course in my 3rd of studying enviromental science. I could only give it one answer......... There is no "easy" fix!

Just my harp for the day

Dan

D&G

Edited by Dan and Greg

Mate kings are getting bigger and bigger each season.......and the size limits do have a part in that.....

If anything i believe the size limit on kings is still too low and that it should be 70cm.....allow a fish the chance to breed before being killed......

Sometimes we gotta look at the bigger picture and think of the fishing in 20 years.

Back in the 80's 15kg kings were very common off sydney...now they are few and far between becuase the stocks are running low.......

Its common sense Dan.....

eg:

lets say last year 1000 kings which visited sydney between 60-65cm were captured and taken home for dinner....

Thats 1,000 kings less who will definately not visit sydney this year....in a year do you know how much a king will grow......

someone i know recently caught an 85cm Tagged king in Sydney, he got the tag and sent it in and got the info back saying that the king was tagged in Jervis Bay 18 months earlier and then it measure 45cm...

so in 18 months it nearly doubled in size........

So imagine what size the 1000 x 60-65cm kings would be this season if they would have been released.....thats 1000 more 85cm + kings for us to fight this year......

Its common sense.....this year god knows how many 60-65cm kings will be allow to live thanks to the new reg's...these kings will grow and then return bigger and stronger in the season of 2008/2009...given us a crap load more bigger kings to fight and tussle with......

Netic, i know what your saying but its much more complex than that. That extra one thousand will just mean that there will be an extra one thousand for the trawlers to collect when they venture offshore. A 5cm increase in size of a species can not have a dramatic effect on overall average size of kingfish, and i doubt that is one of the reasons the fisheries increased the size limit. If we were serious about increasing the average size limit for kings then they would have to place a minimum of at least 80-85cm. Even still, we are talking 20-25 years down the track.

If we take a look at jewfish for example, the minimum length of 45cm has not increased the average length of fish nor have they increased in dramatic numbers. Blue spot flatties have been 36cm for some time now yet offshore all we ever seem to pull up is 10-15cm specimens, the average size there has not increased at all. And so on and so forth for tuna, bream etc etc.

I agree Rick. I can't believe that there is a bag limit on jackets!!! Fisheries should be paying us to help get the numbers down. I personally think it should be illegal to put one back in the water!

A couple of years ago, a few mates caught 75 in a couple of hours off North Cronulla. I reckon they should have each received a medal.

As for the 65cm kings - it will not affect me - (except for once), I have only ever caught them at 59cm! :mad3:

Are Trevs really 30cm now? I must have missed that one.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, you didn't miss it, they just didn't include it in their proposed announcement of changes. The decided to just add it to the list along with many other species without many knowing.

DAN

Blue spot flatties have been 36cm for some time now yet offshore all we ever seem to pull up is 10-15cm specimens, the average size there has not increased at all. And so on and so forth for tuna, bream etc etc.

Sorry Dan I tend to disagree on this statement.

My experience is that blue spot/sand flathead have indeed increased in size and population in the last few years. As too have bream.

But its not just the legal size change that I think has helped them. The fact that I fish Botany Bay a fair bit helps. Traditionally the bigger flatties are caught inside. So the bay and Georges river are going to hold bigger fish than you get outside. The main change in this area has been the loss of the pro's. There has been more and more big flatties and bream pulled out since they disappeared and I can only see this improving further.

For BB fisho's the combination of size changes and no pro fishing has been a godsend. Of course this may change with a new container wharf and a desal plant but thats a whole other argument.

Dave

Netic, i know what your saying but its much more complex than that. That extra one thousand will just mean that there will be an extra one thousand for the trawlers to collect when they venture offshore. A 5cm increase in size of a species can not have a dramatic effect on overall average size of kingfish, and i doubt that is one of the reasons the fisheries increased the size limit. If we were serious about increasing the average size limit for kings then they would have to place a minimum of at least 80-85cm. Even still, we are talking 20-25 years down the track.

If we take a look at jewfish for example, the minimum length of 45cm has not increased the average length of fish nor have they increased in dramatic numbers. Blue spot flatties have been 36cm for some time now yet offshore all we ever seem to pull up is 10-15cm specimens, the average size there has not increased at all. And so on and so forth for tuna, bream etc etc.

Hi Peter, you didn't miss it, they just didn't include it in their proposed announcement of changes. The decided to just add it to the list along with many other species without many knowing.

DAN

Dan...the improvements will be considerably faster then 20-25 years down the track....they growth rate confirms that....

I know your passionate about your fishing but dont see fisheries as the enemy because they are not, they do help with our sport...

• 6 months later...

A New Zealand report on Kingfish can be found HERE. The information you seek on Kingfish is on page 3 .

In the Hauraki Gulf, where most research on snapper has been done, snapper reach sexual maturity at three to five years of age when they are 22-30cm long. They breed between October and February, depending on the water temperature. Each fish may spawn daily over extended periods, releasing up to 100,000 eggs each time.

Black bream become sexually mature at 3-4 years of age.

Ross

"* A new closed season for Australian bass and estuary perch in rivers and estuaries from June 1 to August 31 each year to protect breeding fish."

does that apply to pros "accidentally" netting the spawning bass ? (or eps for that matter)

don't tell me those guys don't know whats up

sorry a bit off topic...

30 cm seems like a reasonable limit to me for trevs, but i take your point...

the one case i can see size limits working is qlds flathead slot limit...which i think is 40- 70cm...

there have been significant increases of flatties both small and large....

some days when i fish for drummer i wish they would change the limit to 29 cm instead of 30, cause the fish are all just under,but hey, at least we are catching fish that are fair sport at that size on the light gear.... there are peopl on here who would be more than happy catchin 29 cm trevally in the dozens and releasing them, maybe keeping a couple that were size.... trevally don't keep well...best for immediate consumption imho...

a 20 fish bag limit even seems excessive to me for most species....

cheers

ian