Marine Radio

Kiwi Dan

Hi Dan

What is it doing .... or not doing ? (and what brand/model)

We'll see if we can offer some advice.

I dont know any shops I can suggest. Labour is expensive these days ........Sometimes with the price of electronics it may not be worth doing repair. It could be an antenna or installation or user issue. (no offence)

Rod

Hi Dan

What is it doing .... or not doing ? (and what brand/model)

We'll see if we can offer some advice.

I dont know any shops I can suggest. Labour is expensive these days ........Sometimes with the price of electronics it may not be worth doing repair. It could be an antenna or installation or user issue. (no offence)

Rod

Hi Rod,

Ill check the make tonight when i get home and add it to the post.

When i turn the radio dial on there is nothing happening, i checked the wiring and it seems to be all okay. When i brought the boat the guy told me the radio was working and then it just stopped.

cheers

Dan

Dan,

Your problem sounds as though it is more than likely an electrical fault.

Check to see if you are getting power to the back of the radio by using a voltage test lamp.

If you are not getting power there then this could be a few things from a blown fuse, a faulty switch or faulty wirring.

If you have power at the back of the unit then it could be a faulty earth.

I would start with the fuse and then work from there.

Edited by rzep

I am sure your local Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol would be more than happy to have a look at your radio. They are a bunch of good old retirees sitting in a radio room every day just chomping at the bit to be of some assistance. If they help you though, be sure to leave a small donation as they do struggle with operating costs.

davo

I am sure your local Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol would be more than happy to have a look at your radio. They are a bunch of good old retirees sitting in a radio room every day just chomping at the bit to be of some assistance. If they help you though, be sure to leave a small donation as they do struggle with operating costs.

davo

Hi Davo,

That sounds like a cracker idea i might have to give them a call. I dont mind leaving a donation at all.

I more then happy to pay anyone to come fix it, i just want to get it done.

Hey Rod i checked the make and it is a Uniden, couldnt find a model number unfortunately.

cheers

Dan

When i turn the radio dial on there is nothing happening

Does this mean that no lights come on at all ? .... or no sound/static .... more information please (im happy to help)

I more then happy to pay anyone to come fix it, i just want to get it done.

Hey Rod i checked the make and it is a Uniden, couldnt find a model number unfortunately.

Hey Dan

What does it look like? (a photo maybe)

Microphone on left hand side, 3 slide switches on the top, 3 smallish knobs under the slide switches and one larger knob on the right hand side?

Rod

Does this mean that no lights come on at all ? .... or no sound/static .... more information please (im happy to help)

Hey Dan

What does it look like? (a photo maybe)

Microphone on left hand side, 3 slide switches on the top, 3 smallish knobs under the slide switches and one larger knob on the right hand side?

Rod

Hi Rod

Thanks heaps for putting in the effort along with those others who gave advice.

I live in a unit block and ran down to take photos of the radio to post and show use. When down there a neighbour who I rarely even speak too saw me and asked how i was and what i was doing in my boat. I told him and he grabed a multimeter he had inside and we found a break in the wiring under the floor.

Thanks again Rod, and if you think about it if you didnt suggest to go take some pics it wouldnt be fixed!!

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

Give me a yell when you get a minute, I am happy to pop over and work out if it is a power issue or within the unit. It is fairly easy to work out with the right tools .

I have family in the area that I visit regularly so dropping in is not an issue.

Robbie.

EDIT.

Sorted , well done :)

Edited by Robbielites

Thanks again Rod, and if you think about it if you didnt suggest to go take some pics it wouldnt be fixed!!

Cheers

Dan

No worries mate. Murphys law can work in your favour sometimes. With a multimeter and a small amount of electronic apitude its easy to check the basics. Well done to your neighbour.

Im not sure how common practise it is running wires under the floor though (unless its a centre console)

cheers

Rod

No worries mate. Murphys law can work in your favour sometimes. With a multimeter and a small amount of electronic apitude its easy to check the basics. Well done to your neighbour.

Im not sure how common practise it is running wires under the floor though (unless its a centre console)

cheers

Rod

Hi Rod,

yeah its a centre console dehaviland. When i brought the boat the cables were running under the floor so i followed suit with the fish finder and did the same.

Do you think i should be running them above?

Id rather reduce the chance of a spark under the floor where there could be fuel vapours.

Under the floor may be ok as long as they are run neatly and bundled or supported from rubbing and chaffing + dont get caught or squashed under any ribs etc.

Obviously dont have any joins under the floor and try and keep them away from fuel hoses.

cheers, Rod