Help Me! Start My Force 70hp

Bateman Bay runner

Hi All

Great to be part of this forum....

This is my first time experience with a Force 70 hp motor. The person i bought the Force 70 from got it going before i bought the motor. When i got it home i have been unable to start the motor. I have done the following:

(1) new clean fuel with correct fuel/oil mix (50:1)

(2) cleaned the Carberator

(3) replaced all spark plugs new NGK spark plugs (unable to find and champion L76V locally)

(4) fully charged both battery

(5) sprayed 'easy start' (A CRC product) into the carbarator

The starter motor turns the crank, the emergency stop lynard is connected.

What am i not doing right?? please help

Someone suggested to check for spark, which i did....andthere is some spark on 1 and on 2& 3 no spark

cheers

Bay Runner

Mate the only thing i can suggest is take it to Huey to have a look at if your located close to him...

Mate the only thing i can suggest is take it to Huey to have a look at if your located close to him...

Where is Huey? Who is Huey? I am in Canberra.....any mobile marine mechanic around?? Any recommendation on Outboard repairs shops/persons

Huey is the website sponsor who is also a mechanic.....when he loggs onto the site he will see this thread and respond, be patient...you will have a few options soon enough

Edited by netic

ring the person you bought it off and ask him what the secret is!

Hi Thanks ...I have asked and he is stumpped as i am.....we both started the motor at his place....worked like a charm....than i bring ir home....and the darn think wont start....the cross checks i have done is what he said also to do...

Huey is the website sponsor who is also a mechanic.....when he loggs onto the site he will see this thread and respond, be patient...you will have a few options soon enough

Thanks Netic...I look forward to hearing form Huey.

Hi Bay Runner, you say that you have spark on no.1, but none on no.2 and 3. Is that the case? If so there is your problem, you will have to diagonise the igntion sytem to determine the fault. First thing I would do myself is make sure the grounds are on the coils for the bottom 2 cylinders especially if you say it ran good B4 you purchased it. If all the ground wires seem OK, than with two spark out it will either be the switch box or trigger at fault, and it is not hard to work out which it is if you get someone that knows what they are doing. Also make sure it has good even compression B4 spending too much time and money on her. I hope you did check that B4 you purchased it.

The correct plugs for your engine are NGK BUHW, so if you get three strong spark and have good compression and good fuel make sure these are the plugs you have it her.

Please ask if you have any other questions,

Cheers,

Huey.

Are we getting carried away and not covering the most basic checks ?

BayRunner sounds very competant with his first detailed description. If he can clean a carby and check for spark im sure he will know how to prime it.

However no one has mentioned the basics:

- Fuel lines connected secure with no leaks.

- Primer bulb squeezes positivally and firms up after a number squeezes.

- Use of choke or prime function + idle speed lever

The spark issue does sound concerning.

I do a reasonable amount of electronic tech supoort at work and its always good to get the whole picture from grass roots. Its amazing how many basic things can get overlooked.

Ive seen some people connect a fuel line and turn the key expecting a carby tech 2 stroke to start within a few seconds. (no ETEC jokes please). No offence mate, im not saying you are in this category !

cheers

Rod

Hi Bay Runner, you say that you have spark on no.1, but none on no.2 and 3. Is that the case? If so there is your problem, you will have to diagonise the igntion sytem to determine the fault. First thing I would do myself is make sure the grounds are on the coils for the bottom 2 cylinders especially if you say it ran good B4 you purchased it. If all the ground wires seem OK, than with two spark out it will either be the switch box or trigger at fault, and it is not hard to work out which it is if you get someone that knows what they are doing. Also make sure it has good even compression B4 spending too much time and money on her. I hope you did check that B4 you purchased it.

The correct plugs for your engine are NGK BUHW, so if you get three strong spark and have good compression and good fuel make sure these are the plugs you have it her.

Please ask if you have any other questions,

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey

Thanks for the responds....since i wrote my plea for help things have changed....the siutation is that there is no spark what so ever on any plugs. The plugs are brand new NGK BUHW,

I checked the compression on all three cylinders, the compression on cylinder was about 5kpi less than 2 and three. The guy i bought it off showed me paperwork regarding a overhaul done in january and since than has done 30 hrs

Do you reckon the Stator may be gone? or could it be something simple such as grounding that would be worth checking....but dont know what/where/how to check?

Many thanks and keep up the great job

Regards

Bayrunner

Are we getting carried away and not covering the most basic checks ?

BayRunner sounds very competant with his first detailed description. If he can clean a carby and check for spark im sure he will know how to prime it.

However no one has mentioned the basics:

- Fuel lines connected secure with no leaks.

- Primer bulb squeezes positivally and firms up after a number squeezes.

- Use of choke or prime function + idle speed lever

The spark issue does sound concerning.

I do a reasonable amount of electronic tech supoort at work and its always good to get the whole picture from grass roots. Its amazing how many basic things can get overlooked.

Ive seen some people connect a fuel line and turn the key expecting a carby tech 2 stroke to start within a few seconds. (no ETEC jokes please). No offence mate, im not saying you are in this category !

cheers

Rod

Hi Rod

Mate thanks for taking the time to help me on this issue...In responds

I have checked the fuel lines...all good and secure, no leaks

The primer bulb is pumped until very firm.

I use the choke to start but the darm motor wont start...

I am satisfied with compression on the three cylinders and fuel supply issue.

The only area of concern is the ingnitionand the only the i have done (and know of

) is checking the spark on the plug against the body yo the motor.

Mate any help or suggestion would be most welcome....

Many thanks

Cheers

Bar Runner

Hi Bayrunner, if you have no spark at all, then disconnect the "kill" circuit form the igition switch and re test for spark. The wire will be black with yellow trace and would be the first place we would look. If still no spark with kill disconnected check all ground wires to make sure they are tight and clean. Other than that get someone who knows what they are doing and has aaccess to a DVA meter to test the ignition system and it should be easy to diagonise the problem.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Bayrunner, if you have no spark at all, then disconnect the "kill" circuit form the igition switch and re test for spark. The wire will be black with yellow trace and would be the first place we would look. If still no spark with kill disconnected check all ground wires to make sure they are tight and clean. Other than that get someone who knows what they are doing and has aaccess to a DVA meter to test the ignition system and it should be easy to diagonise the problem.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey

thanks for all the advise....mate you are a gem.

My stress level has gone down after reading your responds. i shall act upon your advice over the weekend. and i will take the boat to a marine place to check it out. i know the possiable areas of concern and am confident i wont be taken for a ride by the service person.

I will keep you posted on the development.

Have a great weekend

Bay Runner