Out Form Box Head

junior

Hi All,

Just joined site and I have read some cracking reports. I've just bought a boat and fish out of brisbane waters and want to get out to lion island and surrounding areas. Does anyone have some obvious spots not there secret spots would be greatly appreciated. I have sounder but no gps. Boat is 4.7mtr sportfisher. Thanks

Hi All,

Just joined site and I have read some cracking reports. I've just bought a boat and fish out of brisbane waters and want to get out to lion island and surrounding areas. Does anyone have some obvious spots not there secret spots would be greatly appreciated. I have sounder but no gps. Boat is 4.7mtr sportfisher. Thanks

The salmon are schooling up at the moment around broken bay. They are not hard to find, just watch out for birds.

Make sure you are confident with your boat before you start venturing out to broken bay. You'll get to know the area well enough when you get out there yourself.

I fish Broken Bay a bit Junior and am also learning the area as a relative newbie.

A 4.7m tinnie is plenty big enough to handle it in most conditions - you just have to remember that the trip home is never as pleasant as the trip out in Broken Bay.

The best spots for me so far within the Bay have been using softies for flatties on the box-head sand-bar, drifting for flatties in front of Ettalong and between Juno and Patonga, bait fishing and trolling around Lion Island for whatever is biting, and bait fishing Flint & Steel reef. There is plenty of good Kingy action on offer within Pittwater and around Barrenjoey but I've yet to crack the code on that.

Personally I would recommend that you re-consider Brisbane Waters as a fishing destination. My best sessions in the new boat have come from inside BW - not outside.

As with all things fishing you will spend many months catching nothing (or very little) in your new boat before you figure the place out for yourself. There's a reason why experience is the most valuable commodity amongst fishermen.

I agree with Mondo.. inside has some great whiting and flattie action. :thumbup:

There is a good flattie spot off little box. Get some live yakkas and drift on the incoming tide towards the bar. Keep an eye on the bar though.. it is easy to come unstuck. :(

Good luck and tight lines. :biggrin2:

Hi All,

:1welcomeani:

jnuior "what size motor and tank " is on the tinny as this will determine how far in and around brokenbay

you can go , get the gps if you can as this will get you markings and point of interest and a good safety tool in Fog that lays on brokenbay at times early in the day or night.

I fish Broken Bay a bit Junior and am also learning the area as a relative newbie.

A 4.7m tinnie is plenty big enough to handle it in most conditions - you just have to remember that the trip home is never as pleasant as the trip out in Broken Bay.

The best spots for me so far within the Bay have been using softies for flatties on the box-head sand-bar, drifting for flatties in front of Ettalong and between Juno and Patonga, bait fishing and trolling around Lion Island for whatever is biting, and bait fishing Flint & Steel reef. There is plenty of good Kingy action on offer within Pittwater and around Barrenjoey but I've yet to crack the code on that.

Personally I would recommend that you re-consider Brisbane Waters as a fishing destination. My best sessions in the new boat have come from inside BW - not outside.

As with all things fishing you will spend many months catching nothing (or very little) in your new boat before you figure the place out for yourself. There's a reason why experience is the most valuable commodity amongst fishermen.

Thanks Guys,

the boat is a glass and I've been boating in my brothers for a while but its good to finally own my own. I'm confident in my boat but not stupid so I genarally pick my times carefully. Thankyou to all who gave some tips

Cheers!

And Frantic "point of interest and a good safety tool in Fog that lays on brokenbay at times early in the day or night". Spot on safety advice !!!

Mondo you are modest !! where do you find a newbie?? Junior?? with battle scars like you have in the Eastern Suburbs , who can just go out and quickly find spots as good as these up there!

The code on finding kingfish in numbers, is still the number of birds, and kingfish are like packs of wild dogs. They call the shots around structure, and they hit pretty hard in numbers. They'll even take baited hooks.

So mate you'll soon find them were you go, and when you get one kingfish and keep the burley up to them, you'll get thirty one, a few nice bait slabs for later, and your share of a pretty good feed of kings and jew in the end.

As you know Simon that sign is the early morning bell that the conditions can be also good for your jew.

cheers.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

ps Mondo (typing error). I know you mean "dropping live bait around F&S" though on a good day you still catch a tank of live bait at the Hungry Beach end as well.

G'day Junior ,

If you pick your day , ie nice calm water and not much wind , there is no reason why you couldnt venture out to west reef , for some leatherjackets , or a little further out ( say 2NM) for flathead.

But make sure you know what the expected conditions are going to be. If you have a marine radio , keep it tuned to the Coast Guard channel for weather advisories . A southerly buster can get from Sydney to Lion Island in 15-20 minutes , and you do not want to be in open waters if that happens.

If you were to put a post up , advising us that you were going to fish those waters , Im sure that some raiders would be glad to show you a few spots that have produced . I would be happy to share the little I know , if Im not at work when you decide to go . I have a 4.3M Haines Hunter with a 75HP .

Ross

One has to mention The Rip Bridge although I'm still tryin to crack that jew there! Paddy's Channel drifts are also worthwhile. Good luck Junior, look out for S.S.SEA PIG!...........Rubes

Rubes,

I am still trying to work out the Rip. It has 2 nice deep holes (100ft) with some big fish down there (if you believe the sounder).

I cracked a my first legal jew there a few months ago. Try live/fresh squid, around the drop offs with the big fish.

Look out for the eels though :1yikes:, if you get one cut it off ASAP.

Say hello if you see me, I have a 4.8 bowrider (no Fishraider stickers yet though).

Steve