Sad News

arpie

Hi Guys

Just heard some very sad news - one of our local blackfishing Icons, Noel, has had a bad stroke & is in Darwin Hospital.

He is in his mid to late 80's and up till a couple of weeks ago, was fishing most days on the Forster Breakwall. He also has Parkinsons, so his hands shake a bit (makes the bait look better, he reckoned ...) and it would take him up to 1/2hr to get down to his favourite rock. But BOY! Could he fish!!! He got a 50cm blackie last year, at the entrance to the Marina.

Noel & his wife Helen, had gone to Darwin to visit their son who lives there & he was looking forward to getting into some barra.

He is one of life's real gentlemen (being an ex farmer may have something to do with that) and would offer advice, weed & floats to his buddies! He gave me half a dozen just a few months ago, after I'd helped him out when he lost one - his float was last seen heading towards NZ.

Seems his fishing days are surely over. I spoke to the head nurse of his ward & he says that he is making progress, but can't speak at this point. Helen is with him constantly.

I will be adding him to my fishing list, so he still gets some fresh ones when they get home.

Roberta

Roberta,

It's probably one of the worst things that can happen to a fisherman. Such a debilitating horrible occurrence with no real cure.

I know because my father has suffered the same fate, albeit somewhat milder and left sided.

I feel for your friend and his family.

Cheers

Mitch

sad to hear anyone suffering this nasty disease.. i bet when he finally managed to clamber down to that fav rock all his probs would of disapeared while watching for that inevitable down... my thoughts and prayers to his loved ones....

your a real champ roberta to help others the way you do,a fresh blackie list....... can i get on a beaut list like that :1prop: ... cannot buy them cleaned properly so have to catch them myself... oh well means its a real good excuse to :wife: to go fishing when stocks run low.. :biggrin2: ..... steve.....

Roberta,there are miracles in this world at times and lest hope that your good mate gets one so that he can continue his quest for the luderick at his favourite rock.

Regards Stewy

Thanks guys

I just hope that he gets sufficient quality of life back to be able to speak to his wife & have some movement at the very least - if he gets more, so he can hold a rod, that would be a real bonus. I know a few spots that are dead flat, where we could get him into good fish.

It really has gutted me - he is such a top bloke. It just reminds me that we are all a bit frail, really, & don't know what is on our slate for our future. If we did know our future fate, I wonder if we'd live our lives differently leading up to it? I will be making regular contact till they come back.

Stewy - let's hope for that miracle to happen.

Live each day as if it is your last ....... and one day you will be right!!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Thanks Jess.

I had a long chat with Helen yesterday & he is 'progressing well'. She told Noel that it was 'Roberta on the phone) and put the phone to his head & he distinctly said 'Hello Roberta' (which I thought was fantastic as I thought he was getting his voice back) but couldn't understand anything else after that. :(

Helen is staying near the hospital in a small flat that caters for long term patients' families & spends every day with Noel. She has been told it will be weeks before he is well enough to be able to fly back home (air ambulance probably) and even then, will probably be out of town for rehabilitation. For a town with a large aging population, we don't have many (if any) long term rehabilitation places in Forster.

Helen is holding up well & just taking one day at a time. That is all she can do. The staff at the hospital have been fantastic to both her and Noel & are a credit to their profession. Helen can't speak highly enough of them all.

Hopefully they will be coming home soon & be amongst their friends again.

Roberta

I told Helen that Noel wasn't missing too much, fish wise, as they seemed to be slowing down a bit & that got a smile from Noel.

HI ROBERTA, I am sure that when your friend NOEL arrives home, he will have plenty to talk about with you .

As he is a lover of Blackfishing as are you,his day surely will be full of great conversations and laughs.

A GREAT TONIC for those not feeling well.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1: