Soft Plastics

screech

hey guys!

this will be my first post. i've just bought a few soft plastics and havn't seem to had any luck with them yet. my question to you all is after (estimate) how many casts would you be on to something? cause maybe i dont have the patients.....

advice would be great!

hey guys!

this will be my first post. i've just bought a few soft plastics and havn't seem to had any luck with them yet. my question to you all is after (estimate) how many casts would you be on to something? cause maybe i dont have the patients.....

advice would be great!

Probably like all types of fishing some on the first cast and sometimes not 1 fish all day. Secret is to find where the fish would be, If i know they are there almost guarantee a fish.

With all things new keep practicing. You should at least feel bites every now and then

:1welcomeani: Fishinnick ,

Its hard to say , like bait fishing , if they are hungry , you will get bites. What type of SP you use , what fish you are targetting , location , time of Day , tide , barometric pressure all have a part to play in this game!! Also , your retrieval technique , you are trying to make a piece of plastic resemble a live fish , different types of lures require different techniques .

If you can tell us where you are fishing , and what type of fish you are targetting , our members who are experts in this field will be able to give you the information you seek !!

Ross

:1welcomeani: Fishinnick ,

Its hard to say , like bait fishing , if they are hungry , you will get bites. What type of SP you use , what fish you are targetting , location , time of Day , tide , barometric pressure all have a part to play in this game!! Also , your retrieval technique , you are trying to make a piece of plastic resemble a live fish , different types of lures require different techniques .

If you can tell us where you are fishing , and what type of fish you are targetting , our members who are experts in this field will be able to give you the information you seek !!

Ross

i used these driftying on the georges river near como bridge and botany bay on the towra side and at the ferry whalf at meadowbank. on the boat i was casting in front and slow retrieval. i used a green squidgy fish and a brown fish. when i was at botany bay i was targeting flathead and near como bream and flathead.

maybe wasn't good day to have fished. though i did get a flathead on the drift with prawn.

when and where would tide effect? like i've caught lots of fish on the beach on run up and run down tides.

and how does barometric pressure effect fish? i heard bout it but not sure why and how.

thanks for your replies!

Try and head out with someone who knows how to fish SP's. I tried them in the past a few years back but was not working them correctly, so I gave up. I went out on a charter with a guide that only uses plastics and it was money well spent.

If you can't get out on the water with anyone who fishes with plastics try and get your hands on a DVD, the Berkley DVD with Adam Royter is quite good.

Try to vary your retrieve, and stick with one that works on a particular species. As a rule of thumb it is best to let the lure hit the bottom, then quickly flick it up a few times, then let it hit the bottom again.

I'll leave the barometric pressure to the experts, it's all Greek to me!

That's good advice from Slaka-Sydney guide no no no also has a DVD out [using Storm but of course the info applies to all SP's] and it is very detailed-I learned heaps from it.Trolling the reports here will give you an idea what SP's have been working.HTH,

Cheers,

Dave. :1welcomeani:

Whoops!That'll teach me not to check before I post. :wacko:

G'day

I've only started fishing soft plastic's lately and have had a pretty steep learning curve and am still learning but here are a few things off the experts here that have helped me

1) Fluro-carbon leader: It makes a huge difference I usually run around 4 feet to braid

2) Light jig-heads especially for bream. 1/32 jig-heads seem to make a huge difference with bream

3) Let the lure sink to the bottom on each drop and have a bit of slack in the line watch the slack carefully as fish seem to pick up on the drop

4) Work your lure, it might be a good idea to cast into a pool or shallow water and watch your retrieve and ask your self does this look natural

Hope this helps ya

G'day

I've only started fishing soft plastic's lately and have had a pretty steep learning curve and am still learning but here are a few things off the experts here that have helped me

1) Fluro-carbon leader: It makes a huge difference I usually run around 4 feet to braid

2) Light jig-heads especially for bream. 1/32 jig-heads seem to make a huge difference with bream

3) Let the lure sink to the bottom on each drop and have a bit of slack in the line watch the slack carefully as fish seem to pick up on the drop

4) Work your lure, it might be a good idea to cast into a pool or shallow water and watch your retrieve and ask your self does this look natural

Hope this helps ya

thanks for the tips!!

i'll look into getting a dvd on sp's. maybe i should come out with u guys on ur next sp session.

for flathead look for shallow bays in the georges with a mix of sand and weed...you need to make sure your jighead is not to heavy ie:don't use a heavier jighead to help you cast further.....

that being said you need to make sure your lure is constantly bouncing into the bottom in the sandy patches between the weed beds...amongst other places....flathead are available across all tides but the last two hours of the runout helps i think mainly because the dirty water makes the fish less cautious

make sure your plastic is rigged DEAD straight.... check it is swimming right every cast.....

hope this helps

ps braid is essential...i just use mono for leader when chasin flatties but thats personal preference... fluorocarbon leader is just too expensive if you don't actually need it

bream spinnin is a different story

finally caught something on sp's!!!!!!!!! haha...

went out on sunday morning to botany bay to the oil wharf and caught HEAPS of taylor. they were schooling chasing white bait, birds were diving. didn't even cast near the action as my sp was sinking BANG is on the run. taylor were in 40cm length. lost heaps of my 5'' pink and white minnows. they demolished the lures. came up with out tails. fun day with sp's!! sorry guys no pics

finally caught something on sp's!!!!!!!!! haha...

went out on sunday morning to botany bay to the oil wharf and caught HEAPS of taylor. they were schooling chasing white bait, birds were diving. didn't even cast near the action as my sp was sinking BANG is on the run. taylor were in 40cm length. lost heaps of my 5'' pink and white minnows. they demolished the lures. came up with out tails. fun day with sp's!! sorry guys no pics

You've had your first taste... Now the addiction sets in...

Well done dude.

The next stop - fly fishing :P

Cheers,

Richie.

You've had your first taste... Now the addiction sets in...

Well done dude.

The next stop - fly fishing :P

Cheers,

Richie.

your definatly right about the addictive part.

but i think that you need to find the schools of bait on the sounder to have awsome success on sp's. unless to it can be very quiet.

for flathead look for shallow bays in the georges with a mix of sand and weed...you need to make sure your jighead is not to heavy ie:don't use a heavier jighead to help you cast further.....

that being said you need to make sure your lure is constantly bouncing into the bottom in the sandy patches between the weed beds...amongst other places....flathead are available across all tides but the last two hours of the runout helps i think mainly because the dirty water makes the fish less cautious

make sure your plastic is rigged DEAD straight.... check it is swimming right every cast.....

hope this helps

ps braid is essential...i just use mono for leader when chasin flatties but thats personal preference... fluorocarbon leader is just too expensive if you don't actually need it

bream spinnin is a different story

How about 8lb mono? I'm new to SP's still testing em out, it's only been a couple short sessions. Wondering if they can do any good in the georges perhaps too.

How about 8lb mono? I'm new to SP's still testing em out, it's only been a couple short sessions. Wondering if they can do any good in the georges perhaps too.

what as your mainline???? i think you will find that braid will let you cast further , use the lightest jighead possible and also let you know exactly what you lure is doing....

i use ten pd fireline and can tell tell if i have picked up one strand of ribbon weed by the difference in feel of the lure... you can also tell when you hit a snag, weed bed , sandbar and mudflat with practice and feel...

i would recommend visible colours of braid, my mate has been experimenting with 6 pd fireline in the smoke colour and it is impossible to watch the line....

he who casts the most catches the most fish..... it is not unusual for me to spin for 5 or 6 hours landbased..

most of your fish will come in one small window. it wasn't till i started usin braid and left my hooks and sinkers at home that i regularly started catchin flatties

tomohawk that is excellent advice....most of the ppl i see chasin flatties never even let their lure near the bottom