Daiwa Vs Shimano Vs Penn Vs ?

kinghazza

WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR YOU TO PULL OUT YOUR HARD EARNED CASH AT YOUR FAVOURITE TACKLE STORE, WHICH BRAND DO YOU PUT YOUR FAITH IN AND WHY?

PERSONALLY I GO SHIMANO MOST OF THE TIME BUT IF WANT TO TREAT MYSELF ILL GO DAIWA, I THINK SHIMANO OFFERS MORE VALUE FOR MONEY AND THATS MY REASON.

I'm a Shimano man, just because they have always been there.

My first rod and reel were Shimano and my current combo's are both Shimano outfits and I'm looking for a third, you guessed it, Shimano.

Shimano make THE Stella and THE Tiagra, what more do I have to say?

IFS

I have used all three you mentioned and ABU and been happy with them all, i seem to be drawn much more to Shimano recently but that could just be because of exposure, they seem to have a massive range and some of there range at any retailer that sells any type of gear. i have been trying to build up to buy one of the newer less known brands that sound to have very good specs but are much cheaper (Okuma) , bit scared though because i have learned on too many :1prop: occaions you get what you pay for. would be interested to hear if anybody has had ood experience with some of the cheaper brands?

Arif

I have used all three you mentioned and ABU and been happy with them all, i seem to be drawn much more to Shimano recently but that could just be because of exposure, they seem to have a massive range and some of there range at any retailer that sells any type of gear. i have been trying to build up to buy one of the newer less known brands that sound to have very good specs but are much cheaper (Okuma) , bit scared though because i have learned on too many :1prop: occaions you get what you pay for. would be interested to hear if anybody has had ood experience with some of the cheaper brands?

Arif

mate let me tell you about okuma, obviously you get what you pay for, but if you go up the scale to okumas more expensive stuff (which isnt that expensive anyway, the reason being okuma dosnt have the same name as daiwa or shimano) you'll be pleasantly suprised.... i refer to the "salina" range, i own 2 okuma sa80's.... these reels look good, feel good, have got lovley drag system, and i would not hesitate in recomending them, the thing i like about them most is the thick bail arm and the black and gold colour.

so much have already been said on shimano v/s daiwa. if u do a search u will find a few threads on the subject. it seems raiders like both daiwa and shimano.

however, value for money, i personally will go for penn. i own a penn 9500ss for more than 10 yrs without a single service and it is still going strong. i chased GT in mauritius for yrs with that reel and in sydney, i've been using it as my 1st choice from the rocks. i dont know about the new models but the old ones are tough. i own a daiwa capricorn 4500J which is a greatr reel - smooth, good castability, good drag, but unfortunately it looks like a toy c/t my penn.

cheers

bertrand

so much have already been said on shimano v/s daiwa. if u do a search u will find a few threads on the subject. it seems raiders like both daiwa and shimano.

however, value for money, i personally will go for penn. i own a penn 9500ss for more than 10 yrs without a single service and it is still going strong. i chased GT in mauritius for yrs with that reel and in sydney, i've been using it as my 1st choice from the rocks. i dont know about the new models but the old ones are tough. i own a daiwa capricorn 4500J which is a greatr reel - smooth, good castability, good drag, but unfortunately it looks like a toy c/t my penn.

cheers

bertrand

iv heard stories about the penn reels in regards to internal components in the newer models, i cant exactly remember what it was but i think it had to do with the gearing system and the type of metal used.

To me -

Shimano = Toyota...solid,reliable but often slightly under spec'd for the money

Diawa = Hyundai...Lots of spec..reasonably reliable but the odd one is prone to failure and the finish sometimes isn't so hot.

Penn = Old Volvo...heavy, clunky, no features but will most likely go on forever.

Generalisations I know but you get the idea!

Cheers

Chris

I would seriously consider Daiwa in the smaller models unless you are onto a new Stella FD or new Stradic FI. My experience with the other Shimano Models in the smaller size for plastics and squid jigging has been pretty bad. :thumbdown: In saying that, I have not tried an Aspire or Sustain... only Stradics Twinpowers and the old Stellas. Stangely, my brothers $50 Aernos which is about 6 years old doesn't have this wind knot problem!! :wacko:

Bigger models, Shimano Stellas for me. :biggrin2:

I have used the new Penns on a charter I frequently use and they are very good and solid but, lack the finesse of the Daiwa and Shimano. The Guide says that the Penns are the best for him because they can take a beating and are cheap. He loses rods, has reels over the side getting filled up with salt water, has people mistreat them and bang them around and he is using them 200 days a year which is about 150 days more than most of us I reckon. His Penns last longer than the equivalent performance in S or D. This is his opinion, not mine. :biggrin2:

(All statements in this text are personal views of the author and are by no means meant to upset, perturb, disturb, disuade, malign or piss off other anglers in this forum and in the world at large ever)

Edited by Ceph

Mate the Daiwa vs SHimano will never be answered...

Penn...well they are not even in the mix with both of those brands.....game internationals are good but other then that Penn is behind......

Some people prefer Shimano others prefer Daiwa.........

Its like asking Holden vs Ford........

now your talking penguin,the exact combo of car i have.

a ford cortina with a 400 chev :thumbup:

I had the same car years ago and it had a Hillborn injected 302 Boss motor.

Mine is still better than yours :1prop:

Holden vs Ford, Shimano vs Daiwa. Whats the diff?

Only the spelling.

penguin

Edited by penguin

I have owned a lot of Shimano reels in the past and I still have a couple of sustains and 2 Stellas.

I changed to DAIWA a few years back and feel the quality and service is second to none. I now have a large range of Daiwa reels to back all my fishing choices from Bass to Bream and Kings to Tuna, and they have a brilliant range of top end rods to match these reels

The main reason I originally swapped to Daiwa was to me they felt a lot stonger, "more solid"than the Shimano stable. After my first Daiwa (TDZ 2000) I was sold . Stronger more durable and may I say Sexy Finishes....

Mitch