How Does Cabbage Go On The Blackfish?

RPL

generally cabbage off the rocks and string type in the harbours.. after saying that at times the blackfish go nuts for cabbage in harbour areas .. i was getting 4 to 1 on cabbage a few weeks ago.. if the dreaded black trevally/spinefoot/magic moments :1badmood: are around (especially around zoo area) then cabbage is a must otherwise need to move where they are not..... i generally try to get varied baits as you don't know what they will like best some days.. i have been using the best quality baits to hardly get a down then when cleaning fish found them full of real crap or coarse stuff... not my beaut soft fresh green...

heres a good post by roberta an me with lots of info on the dark art :biggrin2: .... hope this helps... steve

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...mp;#entry189582

Edited by roosterman

Whereabouts do you live & fish, RPL?? There was stacks of weed & cabbage on most of the beaches rock ledges or headlands (available only at low tide.) Be very careful when collecting it. Stored in or between a damp cloth (eg old towel or hessian) it should keep for a good few days, but fresh is always best if possible.

Most of the fish I have been catching here & at Balmoral last week were on cabbage, but as Steve says, it pays to take some weed with you as well, as they can be picky on what they eat .... if they eat at all!! :(

Don't put too big a bit on - they will just nibble it - if using cabbage, just put a thumbnail size bit on & if using weed, pull of enough strands to make it about matchstick thick, fold it in half & wrap one half around the top of your hook (where the hook meets the line) a couple of times in one direction, then wrap the other half of it in the other direction down the hook to the bend. You should have about 2cm hanging below the bend as well. Dunk it in the water. If it looks like an olive, you have too much on & pull some off to make it more streamlined. If it looks like a small bait fish, (long & slim) it is just right!

Cheers

Roberta

Whereabouts do you live & fish, RPL?? There was stacks of weed & cabbage on most of the beaches rock ledges or headlands (available only at low tide.) Be very careful when collecting it. Stored in or between a damp cloth (eg old towel or hessian) it should keep for a good few days, but fresh is always best if possible.

Most of the fish I have been catching here & at Balmoral last week were on cabbage, but as Steve says, it pays to take some weed with you as well, as they can be picky on what they eat .... if they eat at all!! :(

Don't put too big a bit on - they will just nibble it - if using cabbage, just put a thumbnail size bit on & if using weed, pull of enough strands to make it about matchstick thick, fold it in half & wrap one half around the top of your hook (where the hook meets the line) a couple of times in one direction, then wrap the other half of it in the other direction down the hook to the bend. You should have about 2cm hanging below the bend as well. Dunk it in the water. If it looks like an olive, you have too much on & pull some off to make it more streamlined. If it looks like a small bait fish, (long & slim) it is just right!

Cheers

Roberta

Thanks mate, i fish in the Port Hacking. Would you have any hints you wouldn't mind sharing with me if you can?

Thanks

As Steve said the only way to beat black trevally is with cabbage, i have been out with the best green weed only to find that they take your float down out of sight and not touch the weed, put a cabbage bait on same take but a fish!

It pays to have both and usually you get the bigger fish on cabbage, also cabbage tends to work better closer to the ocean the further you get up the river themore inclined they are to take weed, also like Steve i've caught heaps of fish on the best quality bait onlyto find their guts full of mud and crap!

Experiment wit hyour weed types to get fine, leafy, dark coloured lightly coloured and see what they prefer it also helps to burley wit hwhat you fish with but remeber when you harvest don't use all the good stuff for burley as you'll have none for next time when you go to get bait. It's a mistake a lot of anglers make.

Cheers

royce.

RPL Pm if you want some tips on the Port.

Hi RPL

The link that Steve/Roosterman put to the tips on Blackfishing would be worth 'bookmarking' & reading often!!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...mp;#entry189582

ALso - take up Luderick-Anglers offer for some tips in fishing your area - every area fishes slightly different & local knowledge (& the bonus of being able to access it ....) is invaluable!!! It save heaps of fishless outings!

Best of all - come to the next Blackfish social (all going well, there will be another one in Forster in Sept/Oct next year!) If you are serious about giving it a go, find out when other Raiders are going for a fish near you & ask if you can tag along! The best way to learn is by watching & trying it for yourself - as it is a bit of an art form! Many don't have the patience to learn the finer points - they usually also don't catch fish! :1prop:

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta