The Entrance

marlin1962

i heard today off a mate in the ses that the entrance has been opened up big time to the sea due to

the floods, will this improve fishing inside or will it make it worse and is there any raiders fished there since

the floods. im just glad my camp site is still there- i hope.

any local feedback would be appreciated.

thanks marty.

i heard today off a mate in the ses that the entrance has been opened up big time to the sea due to

the floods, will this improve fishing inside or will it make it worse and is there any raiders fished there since

the floods. im just glad my camp site is still there- i hope.

any local feedback would be appreciated.

thanks marty.

A very good question Marty though the entrance always had some access in to allow fish to come in and others to go out and spawn. Opening up big time could only attract access from more directions and it's more or less like removing and turning over silt in a river as far as the sand goes when churned up over larger areas when hit by big seas..

I.E. fish in warm currents going into cooler ones etc and for other species vice versa

Therefore to my way of thinking opened up big time becomes a big plus.

Hope this helps mate and triggers them off for you.

Close to the white pole on your left off the bridge looking from the south side is one of the best big bream spots on the coast.

Cheers, Marty and enjoy the Brooker up there

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

A very good question Marty though the entrance always had some access in to allow fish to come in and others to go out and spawn. Opening up big time could only attract access from more directions and it's more or less like removing and turning over silt in a river as far as the sand goes when churned up over larger areas when hit by big seas..

I.E. fish in warm currents going into cooler ones etc and for other species vice versa

Therefore to my way of thinking opened up big time becomes a big plus.

Hope this helps mate and triggers them off for you.

Close to the white pole on your left off the bridge looking from the south side is one of the best big bream spots on the coast.

Cheers, Marty and enjoy the Brooker up there

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

thanks jewgaffer for all your input, the girls and i will be there next week for a week, i will try your spot and let you know. thanks again, Marty.---can't wait to give the boat a good run.

i live up here...... fishing has been a little slow but water clarity is improving day by day.....we have heard reports of small prawn in the weed beds which is great news as me and my mates have been wondering whether they all got flushed away...

to answer your question, i know the old bloke who is our only remaining pro in the lake... i asked him what the go was and he told me that he hasn't seen the entrance this wide since the late sixties and the fishing in the lake for the 5 or six years afterwards was fantastic with record hauls of bream flatties blackfish mullet and king prawns...

king prawns haven't been seen in the lake for years.... so a return of these tasty buggars would be welcome...

what i am trying to say is yes the lake will be much improved by it being open as it is silted so badly around it shoreline and it need to be flushed, but no one knows if it wil take a year or two too happen......

my mate the pro is still pullin fish, but he reckons they are further spread up the system, which makes sense considering the difference in salinitys etc...

i haven't seen a decent bream caught here for a couple of years (like 40 cm plus)--at the entrance i mean...the rivers/creeks are a different story though

i would be chasing flathead on plastics or fish baits and you will almost certainly get a few this time of year... otherwise hit nth entrance beach near the mouth.....what a gutter !??!!??!!?!?!?!?..

ps jewies in wyong stumpy wow.

Edited by flathead fanatic

i live up here...... fishing has been a little slow but water clarity is improving day by day.....we have heard reports of small prawn in the weed beds which is great news as me and my mates have been wondering whether they all got flushed away...

to answer your question, i know the old bloke who is our only remaining pro in the lake... i asked him what the go was and he told me that he hasn't seen the entrance this wide since the late sixties and the fishing in the lake for the 5 or six years afterwards was fantastic with record hauls of bream flatties blackfish mullet and king prawns...

king prawns haven't been seen in the lake for years.... so a return of these tasty buggars would be welcome...

what i am trying to say is yes the lake will be much improved by it being open as it is silted so badly around it shoreline and it need to be flushed, but no one knows if it wil take a year or two too happen......

my mate the pro is still pullin fish, but he reckons they are further spread up the system, which makes sense considering the difference in salinitys etc...

i haven't seen a decent bream caught here for a couple of years (like 40 cm plus)--at the entrance i mean...the rivers/creeks are a different story though

i would be chasing flathead on plastics or fish baits and you will almost certainly get a few this time of year... otherwise hit nth entrance beach near the mouth.....what a gutter !??!!??!!?!?!?!?..

ps jewies in wyong stumpy wow.

Hey flathead fanatic. You're just the perfect bloke to have on hand up at the Entrance.

Your views on the ramifications of the Entrance being wider were excellent and will be well received by everyone here, I am sure.

Keep your eyes open mate let us know what's going up there on from time to time, ay mate.

Back in the 60's the Entrance was a hot spot to fish and they came in like clockwork as the the entrance was at it's widest I'd say back then. I suppose the wider entrance will churn over up some of the silt but they are pretty slack these days in dredging. Given time both the water depth and the quality will suffer from the silt.

You can most walk across North Creek at Ballina and they voted agaist dredging the silt a good while back.

The combined intelligence is that of a MENTAL DWARF !!!

I note your message to Stumpy and Jewies in Wyong near the dog track? :biggrin2:

I'll add this one for Stumpy, as he's probably fallen asleep, so we'll see if the alarm bells ring that we want him and we'll see if that will wake him up.

Cheers Murray :thumbup:

Stumpy has the best method by far for catching jew. Stumpy falling asleep during exciting fishing is really the key to jew fishing. Just "fall asleep for hours on end" - (in other words don't touch anything when a rod bends unless it bends positively and stays constantly bent actively) - with the jew rods out and do not touch the rods at all but before falling asleep attach loud alarms on the line near the reel. - jewgaffer :

Thanks flathead fanatic

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I saw a boat similar to Stumpy,s on the river nearing BUDGEWOI BAIT'N TACKLE the weekend of The Entrance Fishraider Social.

The Driver at the back of the boat was sound asleep whilst the rest of the family were trying to catch fish.

It would not be a good idea to be doing same at The Entrance at the moment.

Anyways, it seemed all on board were having a great time, even the driver. " ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Marty,

Just be warned ,It is near impossible to get a drift going in any of the channels in tuggerah lakes without running aground, or colliding with someone else, especially during holday times. I think you will find it less stressfull with the kids if you find yourself a bit of a drop-off close to one of plentifull weedbanks and try those poddys & shrimp lightly weighted or under a float , i reckon you will have a good chance of gettin' a feed.

Have Fun!!!!

Hi All

I live up this way and the Entrance looks great at the moment, was out in the north channels last weekend just for a couple of hours after some fatties caught quite a few this time last year on Gulp in rainbow minow. Could not get a touch from a flattie I was using the new gulp alive pumkinseed minnow (fathers day present) and hooked onto a 44cm blackfish which was well hooked and not an accident. Was getting a lot of grabs on the lures beforehand which were holding for a second or two then letting go, as there was no damage to the plastic I think the grabs were also blackfish. The water clarity was unbeleivable I saw a school of bream cruise past under the boat then a medium sized ray along the bottom. I was in a 4 mte tinnie with a electric bowmount which made it very easy to cruise around the channel and weed beds. The water clarity was back to the second lot of channel markers on the western side of the bridge then it got a bit murky.

Great place very few boats out last weekend.

Cheers Charlie

Marty,

Just be warned ,It is near impossible to get a drift going in any of the channels in tuggerah lakes without running aground, or colliding with someone else, especially during holday times. I think you will find it less stressfull with the kids if you find yourself a bit of a drop-off close to one of plentifull weedbanks and try those poddys & shrimp lightly weighted or under a float , i reckon you will have a good chance of gettin' a feed.

Have Fun!!!!

right on unless you have an electric motor.... we usually anchor up, spin for twenty minutes pull the anchor and move ... as long as your quiet when you drop the anchor its all good...

poddy mullet are the best bait if you can get em...i have a cpl of spots but the mullet are few and far between this year.... boat ramps are always the go for poddys

Hi FF

You can tell me where it is ..... I won't tell anyone .... promise!!! :P God knows they were thin on the ground last year!! We were ever hopeful of getting into some & had to make do with salmon on the beach instead! Not that that was all bad either!

Cheers

Roberta

I live up around Toukley area and my philosophy is that The Entrance opening up is great and will do it wonders but, the lake always looks unhealthy. Is it just me or has something else gotta happen to improve quality consistently........... Was there ever an outlet to the ocean at Lakes?? I think that would drastically help.......

HI RAIDERS, :1fishing1:

Yes an outlet/inlet many years ago up around Budgewoi.

How long ago Iam not sure. The Lake is suffering from human development and is being turned into a gigantic waste dump. Only lots of money and care taken by us all will save it. Opening of the channel because of flooding rains is only a temporary help.

We need to stop rubbish and :horse: washing into the system.

CHEERS BART. :1fishing1:

The Entrance, oh man, dont mention it. Was there today, that place has changed. See Bream, Tailor and whatever else just swimming in front in the channel. The water is dead clear with all the sand at the bottom, weeds flushed out, etc. The current in the channel was just unreal, unlike any other time in the past. Tossing my bait (bread / prawns) in front of their noses and they dont even bite, not even target it, minus those bloody blow up fish, theyre just greedy bastards.

I got the feeling that the water was still too cold up that way. Tried 4 different places from The Entrance to Patonga and only managed an undersized bream which fell off at Patonga.

Dammit I hope this weather warms up fast

don't be too hard on yaself/// we fished for six hours for one dropped flatty and 2 undersize bream....there are fish though... we spotted some great whiting on the flats, and the bream in the system have improved in size we pulled 6 legals on saturday....

there are more poddy mullet down near the mouth than i have seen in years so the flattys will be just behind em...

i would try fishing the neap tides or the last hour of the runout for you best chance of beating the current...

i used ten pd fireline for no result, my mate on the 6 pd pulled the fish....

it is unusual to see fish so spooky before summer... you are right dave the lack of weedbeds and super clear water are making things tuff

alwasy remember if you can see the fish the fish can see you