Dt85 Suzuki Playing Up

tryhard

Morning all,

took the kids out on the weekend for a couple of hours of fishing and all was fine until it came time to go home.

On the way back, I had a little difficulty starting the motor (roughly an 85' year DT85) - took about 4or 5 cranks to start.

then once started, the motor had a definate miss that would dissapear if the motor was revved in neutral.

When put in gear, the motor would stall if left to idle in neutral.

Anyway, once underway things seemed normal for the 1st few minutes, then the rpm dropped off and the motor stalled shortly after.

Motor started again on the second crank but again with the miss & would only run at low revs.

another five minutes further on and the motor died again ! Seeing as I was near a convienient mooring, I tied of, lifted the motor & checked the plugs. plugs were a wet so I replaced them & the motor started 1st crank but after the initial surge, it was back to missing again.

Whilst paddling the last 40 meters or so back to the ramp which is a little embarrassing, I continually tried to start the motor whithout success.

Once Home, half an hour later, I put the ears on the motor to flush it and it started 1st go, idled fine & revved fine - I have no idea whats going on here - seems that part of the problem is when the motor is under load.

Has any one had any similar experiences, or have any pointers as to what to look for ?

Hi Mate, from your description it sounds that you have picked up a bit of debris in your fuel system and it is causing the carbys to flood making it run rough. Best thing to do if you are confident is to remove the airbox caover and run the engine and see if fuel is coming out the throat of the carbys. If so remove and service the carys paying particular attention to the float height and the needle and seat area.

But as Rod mentioned make sure you check the basics first and it is not something like a loose coneection somewhere, but if as you say the plugs were wet I would be guessing it is time for a carby service.

Please ask if we can be of further help,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks all for the replies.

As far as fuel goes, I think that whist possible, it is unlikely that I have some gunk in the fuel system for the following reasons: -

Cleaned the tank about four times earlier in the year to remove silicon & assorted rubbish ( yes thats right, little silicon balls, just the right size to block the pic up !!)

I also have an inline filter before the squeeze bulb and a diesel style filter / separator before the motor connection.

the tank breather is clear - I check that regularly (too many times spent washing the gunwales & servo conrete with expensive fuel!)

Could be a bad fuel line connection, as i have had trouble with new connectors in the past ( I am now using an old reliable one and the O ring may have failed ?) - but having experienced this, the symptoms are not quite the same.

Could be a bad electrical connection - I did give the motor a once over a few months ago now, but will do it again.

I am suspecting an electrical type issue more than fuel, due the the natue of the miss - that is, it seems to breakdown under load - call it gut feel but then I'm no expert .

And finally as far as using your services Huey, I would but you are on the wrong side of the valley ! - and by the way, I should add that I bought 3 boats off your dad and have great respect for Roger who was never too busy to give a little advice & have the occaissional chat - and your mum who treated us almost like family.

And finally I remember you when you were in primary School so how's that !

has your dad still got that old Glastron ?

Hi Tryhard, thanks for the kind words and yes we tryhard to please people and we have had many boats that I can remember since I was about 2 years old. One of my first memories was learning to ski on the old mans skis when I was about 3 years old, so I guess you could say I have water in my blood and have been around boats for a while. I think we have had a few Glastrons, a few Haines, a few Cruisecrafts, a few Seafarers and more in the time I have been on this earth and all have been great fun. At present we do not have a Glastron so no we do not have the old girl still.

Anyway, I hope you resolve your problems, but if not we are only about 20-30 minutes from the Hills district and I am sure it would not be a major problem.

Let us know how you go,

Cheers,

Craig.