Post Work Squid Session

Sammy0884

post-1587-1190165507_thumb.jpgHey Raiders,

Crazedfisherdude rang me at work yesterday and told me to come down for a squid session at our favourite landbased spot. Unfortunately i was in my work best and had no rod... i thought i might just go down for a look-see.,..

Met Chris down on the rocks after some tricky puddle dodging where he already had a tiddler swimming in the keeper rock pool and one cracker dropped, the tide and light were on the run out and it was feeling very squiddy indeed...

bareislandpostworksquidsession18-2.jpg

i borrowed Chris rod for a cast and came up tight on a pulsing cephalopod.. what a hoot!

bareislandpostworksquidsession18-4.jpg

He was quickly despatched into the pool while chris shot out a few casts, Chris scored a better specimen a few casts later that had the drag singing! that made three in the pool.....

bareislandpostworksquidsession18-3.jpg

I stole the rod for another cast and dropped the yo-zuri on the magic spot..

bareislandpostworksquidsession18-5.jpg

after letting it sink i though i was snagged on some weed, no sir, the weed was pulsing off with the tell tale of a ripper squid!.. unfortunately i was a little over zealous on the drag adjustment and managed to drop the critter, but that happens...

After a bunch more Egimax and a heap more casts the squiddies failed to show themselves again so we called it a day in the cold darkness and climbed back up to the car....

bareislandpostworksquidsession18-12.jpg

top little session...

Well done CFD & Sammy!! Great report! Interesting buildings in the background - am I allowed to ask where it is???

I'd love to get into some squid fishing - tried it once up here with my brother Sails & got a small one. He gets quite a few down home & does a mean 'squid fry up!'

One day ..... I've even invested in a Yo zuri - does the Egimax make that much difference??

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Yo-zuris are great jigs, but not essential... they catch more squid because they work better... if you were to tune less expensive jigs so they sink and swim nicely then they would be just as effective... its a bit like tuning your float for blackfish.

As for Egimax, it works in the sense that it will turn a timid strike into a more agressive strike, it might be the difference between catching no squid, or taking home one or two... sometimes they are simply not on the bite and nothing will change that.

Cheers

I was going to say that you made it fairly obvious :P glad I didn't now that I knwo what the prize is :( I don't think there are so many "secret spots" though for squid. They are in plague proportions in most sydney waterways around summer time. I've caught them many times from throwing in at random shorelines.

Nice bunch of cehp's!!!!

I would be lying if i wasnt secretley hoping that if i scrolled down some more we would have got to the shot where one of them exploded a nice load of ink onto your work clothes though!!!!! :tease::tease::tease:

Mate i had the very same thought running through my head.... and trust me the little squiddies had me dancing on the rocks to dodge their ink!

Mate i had the very same thought running through my head.... and trust me the little squiddies had me dancing on the rocks to dodge their ink!

I didnt dodge fast enough!!!! thats actually a picture of me in my avatar but i was to slow!!!!!! :1prop:

Seems there's no hiding, I know exactly the place....but I don't want the 10 punch prize...lol

It is the Mainland side of Bare Island on the west side of the walkway bridge

Nice session lads. well done. Next time, I want a phone call!! I work around the corner, and we can go past Tony's on the way...lol

Ant

I'll give you a ring the night before we go next time ant... one condition though... no tiagras!

you guys got any more small tips for squid fishing ? :biggrin2:

Seems like you guys did a great job in such a short time, love the pics too. :) Good stuff :thumbup:

hey there dude

i wasnt part of the gang that fished that spot, but i love squidding too... ill tell you what i know, see how you go with this ya

first up, i think most important thing is location... within sydney harbour, anywhere with a nice weed bed will do it, although differentiate a weed bed from say, a small reef... small reef example - at yarra, near the rock jetty, theres a big rock sitting under the water... yes it does have weeds over it, but ive tried a few times and nothing... on the other hand, do try my favourite location.................. watsons bay!!! or camp cove for that matter... watsons bay has a nice green patch to the LEFT of the jetty, if you stand on the jetty but facing the city... the squid there are heaps good eh... i hooked up a small snapper a week ago, and i chucked it over the side of the jetty... before i knew it, this near transparent squid which i reckon is 25 to the mantle came out of nowhere and grabbed the little fishy!!! what a sight!!! camp cove... ive only ever fished there once, without any success, but i reckon the conditions are good for squid... these days theres that luminescent bacteria in the water, which means theres probably not much there but its worth a try anyway... and the other thing is, just watching the glow bacteria in the water is mesmerizing, beautiful....

second, its jigs - ive never tried yo zuri but too many ppl say its good for it to be not good... they are expensive, but think of it this way, unlike hooks you generally wont lose it... if it snags on weeds, just pull it a bit... i like my green fabric glow one... caught my biggest one of it (although, its a $1 one form+_+_))... but, i also have a pink stripe fabric one but i havnt tried this out yet... the other one that i like is solid white glow in the dark plastic, which is great it glows like mad as if squid wont want to grab it... if you really cant afford the yo zuris (i cant, i need the money to catch bus) you can try yo zuri imitations... theyre nice too

lastly, is conditions - as we all know squid are attracted to light, and come out at night more so than during the day... but also, i think very importantly, squid like calm water... this helps also with the casting... if the wind is too strong the lure will go everywhere, and you dont want to tangle with that big dude fishing close to you with the real expensive line and the real expensive hooks.... but you see this is why i like watsons... the whole jetty is lit up so it attracts squid, and there are very little wind so the water is nice and calm...

so there you go dude hope that helps... if you wnat to come over to watsons, give me a pm ya

lol call me a sadist but i was thinkin the same thing lol.....

the real shame is that it would never happen to me, i am like a ninja turned up to 11! kind of like a loaded mousetrap.. before the first drop of ink had left the squiddies squirter i would have moved myself out of the way and roundhouse kicked in the back of the head, chuck norris style...

So does this mean you'll be more prepared Sammy

when you go on the next squid session

I reckon the bream stick with the Torsa that you had

on Sunday is the go :1prop:

Nice relaxing afternoon :thumbup: great way to wind

down from work

He owes you one now Chris after you let him use the rod

Chris

Mate you've gotta do what i do. Ive got a small bream outfit in the back of the car with a couple squid jigs a small tupeware container with a couple hooks and sinkers pair of footy shirts and an old shirt that just lives in the boot.

you never know when your out on the road if a oppotunity is going to present itself.

well done boys couple great squid there. Hope to get into some myself this week in the harbor.

cheers

kiwi dan

Ceph, we will have to pair up soon for a squidly sesh. I just re spooled the Calcutta with Rapala Braid which is better for casting. I'll let you know when I get the call from CFD/Sammy and we will head down...

I will put the rod in the ute tonight and leave it in the office. Dont forget yours....

And Sammy, I am sorry, but I will have a tiagra floating out with a live bait under a balloon just in case a few thunnus are around....you know the rules....

Spare flick rod will be put in the corner of my office for emergencies :biggrin2: