Squidding - How Many Casts Etc?

daleyboy

Gday raiders,

Couple of quick squidding questions .. more answers the merrier .. cause im still not even close to catching the little suckers consistently.

1 - How many casts into an area before changing jigs?

2 - How many times do you change jig before moving to next area?

3 - Favourite jig size and colour for shallow water

4 - Favourite jig size and colour for deeper water

Heres my results (remember to ignore these as im still not any good .. lol)

1 - About a dozen

2 - 2

3 - Small/Medium in a Pink or orange

4 - Medium/Large in a blue or green

Looking forward to the answers from a couple of the more noted squidders out there :)

Gday raiders,

Couple of quick squidding questions .. more answers the merrier .. cause im still not even close to catching the little suckers consistently.

Heres my results (remember to ignore these as im still not any good .. lol)

1 - About a dozen

2 - 2

3 - Small/Medium in a Pink or orange

4 - Medium/Large in a blue or green

Looking forward to the answers from a couple of the more noted squidders out there :)

I think the conditions dictate wether or not you change jigs, not the performance of the jig. If the wind or current is up then i will change jigs. I know all of my jigs catch squid.

two, max three times

1.8-2.0 In darker colours, browns, yellows, dark orange

2.5-3.5 Green, blue, pink

Gday raiders,

1 - How many casts into an area before changing jigs? - ummm maybe 10 times, but then i will squid for a while, then fish some, then squid again

2 - How many times do you change jig before moving to next area?- 3 - light color first, then dark color, then a full glow one

3 - Favourite jig size and colour for shallow water - green, 2,

4 - Favourite jig size and colour for deeper water - dunno dude sorry if its deep water i usually fish for killer whales and stuff like that

mate i reckons its plenty to do with location... try a different place and you might find a really good spot!! also, if you are driving past a jetty and see fishos there, jump out and talk to them... thats how i found my squid spot... (its watsons bay btw see other squid post for more info)

also, ive been told to let it sink down to the bottom and jig and whatever i seem to get better results keeping it in the top half of the shallow water... hmm...

oh other thing is if you have fishign buddies, everyone put on something different until you do process of elimination and find out whast working eh... me and my brother always start light and dark colors, and one of us will let it sink while the other one jigs at half depth...

1- 10ish of the boat , but i normally keep moving slowley along the area fanning my casts around till i find a patch.

2 - maybe once or twice, most often never :1prop:

3 - 1.8 sizes in brown or green

4 - 2.0~3.0 in white , pink or multi coloured

Ok.. my $0.2.. :wacko:

A: Probably 10 or so. Remember to fan your casts to cover as much ground as possible from a single spot. Work the jig nice and slow and keep it in contact with the bottom. If you get a few snags, you are in the "zone".

A: I would probably not change. Maybe once if I thought it would make a difference or if my fishing mate caught one on a different colour. Size can matter more than colour. I have heard squid are colour blind !! :1prop: Size, action and proximity to the bottom would be my focus over colour.

A: Probably pink or orange and size 1.8 - 2.5. There are some baby jigs on the market which are great for the shallows but in my experience, the big boys hang in the deep.

A: Colours would be pink, orange, blue and white. There is also a bronze/golden Yo Zuri out which looks just like a yakka.. they are deadly. I have used mine so much that the fabric covering is ripped!! Again, you must get down in the water column. I would be using 2.5-3.5 jigs in 4-10 metres of water and let them sink. A vigourous action can sometimes initiate a strike.

Keep on the move all the time. If you hook a squid, cast your jig back into the same area as you will more than likely hook his mate or in some cases, the whole family!! :thumbup:

Good luck.

There is also a bronze/golden Yo Zuri out which looks just like a yakka.. they are deadly. I have used mine so much that the fabric covering is ripped!!

I hate it when that happens, over the summer I'm lucky to get 4-5 sessions in with a jig before it's in tatters.

Though that may be the case they still catch squid, even when they look like they're wearing a gillie suit.

IFS

I like to hit every metre of the spot at least once. If the spot is ten metres long I'll systematically cast once into each metre or so. I never really change colour as I never fish alone and we'll always use different colours. If we have been squidding for ages and one colour has got them all while the other colour hasn't been hit then I'll consider changing...

I pretty much only squid shallow, so i stick to the smallies.

Squidding is all about technique I recon, I have found that changing jigs to what my mate has on rarely works. What you need to look at is the area fished, the depth fished and most importantly the action or retrieve. If they are there and feeding they will hit a well presented lure in the area they are in.

Although i don't cast for squid any more the basics of lure fishing seems to be popping up here i.e, fan your casts and move on to cover ground, if you have the time and inclination change jigs and go back over the same area.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites