Nz Fishing Trip To Remember

Mat Corra

Hi Raiders

Long time reader first time user. My mate pops punt has asked me to send in some photo's of a recent trip my father and I enjoyed at the Bay Of Islands in NZ. It was a 4 day trip but due to the strange weather patterns over there we could only fit in 2 days fishing. The first day was spent jigging for Kings around a place called hole in the rock and as can be seen by the photo's it was better than we could ever imagined. The next was a delema as there were reports on the radio of boats hooked up everywere to marlin, but the constant reminder of what we were there for (that trophy snapper) got the better of us. We flaoted pilly's for a while with no success and tried just about every spot known for snapper nothing. Degected but eager not to give up i borrowed a poly boat from a freind and headed just across the river from where we were staying and i could not beleive it but every time i through a bait out it was smashed by good size plate snapper, great fun. I would strongly recommend to anyone thinking about a holiday over sea's to try this out.

I would be interested to here from any other Raiders who have experienced a trip to NZ

Cheers Mat :beersmile:

post-5528-1190181013_thumb.jpg post-5528-1190181140_thumb.jpg post-5528-1190181235_thumb.jpg post-5528-1190181312_thumb.jpg

Hi mat

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider!!! Fantastic fish!! Love the Kingie! Well done on the snapper too, & getting it on your own! I used to live in NZ for 15yrs but only tried landbased fishing (I tell a lie - went out from Pauanui with a buddy in his boat for a few snapper.) Off Pauanui Beach (Coromandel), I caught a snapper on a 'blown up garbage bag' rig, as against a regular Contiki outfit!

The size of the snapper & kingies over there have to be seen to be believed!! Can't wait till I go back again! Will mix it up, I reckon!

I used to do more fresh water/trout fishing than anything - my pb was just under 10lb at Lake Tarawera (past Rotorua!)

It is a neat place to visit, eh?? At least you get an advantage on the $$ exchange, too!

Roberta

hey m8 sounds like u had a great trip...wat was the biggest kingy u got over there?....im goin over to NZ for a 2week fishing trip in january mainly jigging for kings around the bay of plenty area.....was the kinging jigging action consistent? ( one fish after the other or was it one fish every now and then)....cant wait to go over!

Edited by ACZ

:1welcomeani: mate,

The Bay of Islands is great for fishing and diving. I come not far from there, pitty you couldnt get your trophy Snapper mate.

For anyone else heading over there you can get into good Snapper all over the country if you know where. Feel free to send me a PM im happy to point you in the direction and if i cant i certainly know the people over the who can.

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

hey m8 sounds like u had a great trip...wat was the biggest kingy u got over there?....im goin over to NZ for a 2week fishing trip in january mainly jigging for kings around the bay of plenty area.....was the kinging jigging action consistent? ( one fish after the other or was it one fish every now and then)....cant wait to go over!

Hey Dan

Unfortunately we did not measure any fish but i am not sure if you can notice in the photo i am struggling to hold the gaff pole up. The jigging is constant and you can catch as much as your arms will allow you to. Make sure you take your best 15kg overhead outfit and some good knife jigs in the 150g to 250g range and they will also take large soft plastics.

I hope you have as much fun as i did and remeber hang on.

Just one other thing if you get the opportunity see if you can get someone overthere to smoke a kingy for you, it might cost you a carton but it worth it they are awsome to eat this way.

Regards Mat :beersmile:

Hi mat

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider!!! Fantastic fish!! Love the Kingie! Well done on the snapper too, & getting it on your own! I used to live in NZ for 15yrs but only tried landbased fishing (I tell a lie - went out from Pauanui with a buddy in his boat for a few snapper.) Off Pauanui Beach (Coromandel), I caught a snapper on a 'blown up garbage bag' rig, as against a regular Contiki outfit!

The size of the snapper & kingies over there have to be seen to be believed!! Can't wait till I go back again! Will mix it up, I reckon!

I used to do more fresh water/trout fishing than anything - my pb was just under 10lb at Lake Tarawera (past Rotorua!)

It is a neat place to visit, eh?? At least you get an advantage on the $$ exchange, too!

Roberta

Hi Roberta

NZ sure is a nice place and i have no doubt that i will be back to try again for that trophy snapper. I bet a 10lb trout was a nice capture, was it on fly or lure. I have heard that down the south island is better for fresh water fishing is this true. I would like to try my hand at fresh water fishing someday and NZ sounds like a good place to try. I think i might try the snowy mountins in the southern highlands first.

Regards Mat :beersmile:

Hi Mat

My trout was on fly - it tasted very nice once smoked!! Had a local fish shop smoke it for me for $3! Great value!

Down the south island, you can get Atlantic salmon from Nelson to Dunedin & probably lower!!! Numerous 'farmed salmon' have escaped over the years, creating a wild fishery & when they are on, the fishing goes 'off'! ALso lots of trout - in virtually all rivers ( and salmon in the southern rivers!)

We have plenty of Raiders that are top Trout fishers around the Snowy Mountains area - just put a question on the forum & it will be answered!!! Also you can get them up the Lithgow area & Blue Mountains, also up the New England area (inland from Pt Macquarie) and even Gloucester area! Lots of trout all over the place!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hey Dicko - put NZ on your list for 'must do's'!! You'll never regret it!! The flights aren't that expensive & you get about 15% more for your dollar. THey even drive on the same side of the road, but watch out for their version of 'give way to the right' when 2 vehicles coming from opposite directions are turning into the same street!

Smoked fish is great - that was back before I started doing my own!

Kiwis have only recently started targetting snapper with sps (within the last 5 years or so ) - I get the kiwi fishing mag every now & then. It has taken off recently amongst the 'pros', but I bet most Kiwis still use pilchards. The Kingies over there have to be seen to be believed! Huge! Much like their snapper! Did you ever see that video of the snapper taking the live kawhai/aussie salmon? The Kawhai was well over 30cm, I reckon! Snapper took it down, no worries! It is on Youtube - probably under Mega Snapper!

Cheers

Roberta