First Ever Cobia

andy mitchell

I had a fish with my dad Yesterday offshore from the Gold Coast. We crossed southport bar at 6 am and headed for palm beach reef. My Dad's boat is more of a "miami vice" boat than a fishing boat so we anchor up set up a berley trail and fish offf the duck board. for those who don't know palm beach reef is an extensive gravel patch known for red hot mackerel action in the summer. I began throwing a 5 inch gulp on my bream rod and caught a few ooglies( juvenile cod different colours). Then my plastic was nailed on the drop and after a few screaming runs a nice little spotty mac was in the net and on the ice. A pillie floated down the berley trail was hit hard and the result was a nice cobia of around 10kg's which again went straight on the ice. The morning was rounded off by a few trevors on the plastics. Plus a mother and baby whale popped up 10 mtres from the boat.

All in all a great day.

cheers

andy

Great stuff Andy! :thumbup:

Congrats on your 1st Cobe & a nice one at that at 10kgs. Now that Spotty. Is that an early or late season one? :074: It's looking like a top fishing summer we're going to have up here.

We were out a couple of weeks ago at Fidos & had a whale breach very close to the boat & had a dolphin stay with us for about 3 hrs while we were at anchor. Fantasic stuff!

How was today! At 2 p.m it was 30.4c on my verandah in the shade. The fishing should fire up very soon. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Great stuff Andy! :thumbup:

Congrats on your 1st Cobe & a nice one at that at 10kgs. Now that Spotty. Is that an early or late season one? :074: It's looking like a top fishing summer we're going to have up here.

We were out a couple of weeks ago at Fidos & had a whale breach very close to the boat & had a dolphin stay with us for about 3 hrs while we were at anchor. Fantasic stuff!

How was today! At 2 p.m it was 30.4c on my verandah in the shade. The fishing should fire up very soon. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

It should be great . we will have to get out and chase a few red toothy critters in the river

cheers

andy

You bet!

I just picked up my new Jack weapon on the weekend. I can't wait to get it stretched. :biggrin2:

They should be right on the chew in a month or so. I've heard of a couple being caught but not too many as yet. As you showed on the w/end, it is Bass time though! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.