How Do Carp Get Into New Man Made Lakes

Boban

It's somewhat of a mystery to me as to how it is that in these new man made lakes, clearly not connected to existing rivers, lakes or ponds, have carp in them.

Surely people aren't stocking these lakes on purpose.

From what I have heard,when carp spawn their eggs are sticky and float on the surface,

then when a duck or water bird lands they get stuck to their plumage when they take off & land

in another lake the eggs come loose and bingo carp in a new lake

Dunno if thats right but it is what I heard

Cheers

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

It's somewhat of a mystery to me as to how it is that in these new man made lakes, clearly not connected to existing rivers, lakes or ponds, have carp in them.

Surely people aren't stocking these lakes on purpose.

Hi Mitch. How are you. The eggs are dropped by birds. I've seen tiny tadpoles come down in the rain and some people say they check their dams at times to find yabbies and fish in them when there was nothing there when when did the dig out for the dam.

Interestng topic this one

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

i have an interesting carp, well koi story, may or may not be related!

friend has a dam at the back of her house and decided to breed some koi in it! well the dam dried out and was bone dry dirt all cracked! it was dry for about a year when they got around to digging it deeper! at which time they started to discover koi alive about 1m under the ground!

bizare!

I'm good thanks Byron.

They really have got this Darwinism thing licked don't they. Why couldn't it be bass or EP's.

I've read about a carp staying alive in conditions that only they could manage.

friend has a dam at the back of her house and decided to breed some koi in it! well the dam dried out and was bone dry dirt all cracked! it was dry for about a year when they got around to digging it deeper! at which time they started to discover koi alive about 1m under the ground!

bizare!

that happened at my grandmothers farm also amazing stuff

Wow alive underground thats amazing yet really freaky.

When i lived in canberra thereused to be carp around the 12lb mark swimming around in creeks 10foot widex 5 foot deep miles away from large bodies of water.

I can;t really put into words how amazing it is where they turn up.

cheers james

bizare!

hey wildfish! they must live dormant in moisture like some weird salamander,

that is bizarre!

..cheers!..stevo!..