Shimano Baitrunner 6500

Kirks

Hey Guys.

I've bought a beach outfit ready to take up the coast over the holidays. Its a 13ft red back rod, with a Shimano Baitrunner spooled with 20lb Platypus line. Im pretty much set in regard to the rod and rigs etc, but have a couple of questions concerning the reel.

Firstly how much drag pressure should the baitrunner drag be set to? Is it necessary to strike to set the hook, or will simply engaging the proper drag be enough? Will the baitrunner feature be even necessary for beach fishing?

As for setting the proper drag pressure i assume thats no different.

Any help on baitrunners or beach fishing in general will be helpful. Also anyone with any tips for fishing up at Forster Blueys Beach area.

Cheers

Dave

Well mate setting the baitrunner drag is simple. There is a knob that you turn on the bottom of the reel you turn to make it lighter and harder. Depending on what livebait you have as to how heavy the setting.

A big Slimie or Yakka you'd want a heavier setting than with Squid or a small livie. Only use just enough to keep the bait from running around out of the strike zone as the less drag the more natural it feels to the fish.

I assume you'll be fishing for Jewfish off the beach mate, maybe Sharks too. After the fish has made a run with the bait, start winding and when the preset drag engages it is up to you whether you strike or not and depends on the hooks. You don't strike with circles you just slowly increase the pressure until you reach the preset drag.

Set the proper drag with someone holding (or attach the scales to a fence or other solid object) and walk backwards to imitate a fish taking line. Hold the rod at the angle you normally would and give a few shakes to imitate the fishes head shakes.

IFS

Hey Guys.

I've bought a beach outfit ready to take up the coast over the holidays. Its a 13ft red back rod, with a Shimano Baitrunner spooled with 20lb Platypus line. Im pretty much set in regard to the rod and rigs etc, but have a couple of questions concerning the reel.

Firstly how much drag pressure should the baitrunner drag be set to? Is it necessary to strike to set the hook, or will simply engaging the proper drag be enough? Will the baitrunner feature be even necessary for beach fishing?

As for setting the proper drag pressure i assume thats no different.

Any help on baitrunners or beach fishing in general will be helpful. Also anyone with any tips for fishing up at Forster Blueys Beach area.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, if you are swimming a live bait loose drag is the way to go in the surf with the livie rigged to swim away from you.

For good advice on Foster you could send Roberta a pm.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I have fished with a couple of very experienced beach fisherman at port macquarie over the past couple of years and they always fish with the reel in gear. They use worms,tailor and even salmon fillets when the tailor are hard to come by but always fish with the reel in gear. A rod holder made from a star picket with a pvc tube attached is always used and they simply wait for the rod to load up and away they go. Personally i have only landed 3 fish up to 28lb but these guys have slid jew up to 62lb onto the beach whilst i have been with them and a few larger on other occasions. Try a few different techniques and see what works best for you.

Cheers Shane.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

I can't claim expertise on jewie fishing but I have landed 2 of them on the beach using the same set up as you. The first and larger of the 2, I had the reel in baitrunner mode. The jewies can be hesitant with a bait as was the case here. He picked it up (butterflied tailor) swam, stopped, swam, stopped, when he swam off at speed, I put it into gear and wacked him. I have used this sort of technique on other species, mainly sharks to good effect. It does put big strain on the gears as you crank the handle and the drag engages. I like to presume its a jewie until I find out otherwise so generally, I fish out of gear. Salmon or tailor bites, being short and sharp are easy to detect so I click it into gear straight away.

My other beach jewie just nailed a squid while I was in gear and he was instantly hooked up.

One thing to watch with your 6500 is to give it a good rinse and regular lube to stop the roller in the bailer arm from seizing. They seize very quickly and normally you need to replace the whole arm to be back in action.

Best of luck.

Edited by humesy

Cheers fellas.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll probably give the baitrunner a go. Hopefully with a bit of success.

Also how often will i need to lube the roller?

hi! i didn't really catch fish till i got my 6500, i just love it :yahoo:

once a month i remove the spool and after a mild soapy

sponge bath i give her a light spray of inox and then an all over massage with a nice soft cloth

and 1 drop of machine oil on the bail roller and... :074::074::074:

the wife hates it.....but she bought it (her) for me!!

all the best.

..cheers!.. stevo..