1st Beach Sambo - Thanks Watto

mottyman

Hi Guys,

Took the family down to Shoalhaven Heads this weekend for a little get away. We now need a weekend to recover from chasing the 3 nut cases around all weekend...

Before I went I dropped into Watto's for some advice about catching Salmon off the beach as I'd never tried before. He suggested a Paternosta rig with ganged pillies on the bottom, and a surf popper on the top. His advice... the pillie will attract them and the popper will get them... how right he was!!

We arrived Friday afternoon to a rising tide and no wind so down the beach we went. About 4.30, my first Salmon off the beach came up.

Fair dinkum, the way we were carrying on you'd swear it was a metre long.... :074::074:

Watto's plan worked perfectly and the fish was taken on the surf popper.

Saturday was a right off as the southerly roared in the the ocean was horrendous, the wind was freezing so we hang around the cabin and went for an ice cream etc etc....

Here's some pics.

post-237-1190528264_thumb.jpg

post-237-1190528305_thumb.jpg

post-237-1190528326_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David.

Thanks guys,

Here's a pic of the surf popper that did the job... Watto has a range of colours but he recommended this one to me...

I would have went a blue colour to match the pillie but he insisted on the one below...

post-237-1190535242_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys,

David.

Hi mottyman

What an awesome rig that proved to be!!!

What a great idea for a manufactured rig. Do you buy them like that or buy the lures and rig them up yourself the way you think would be the best on the day.

Thanks David

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks guys,

Here's a pic of the surf popper that did the job... Watto has a range of colours but he recommended this one to me...

I would have went a blue colour to match the pillie but he insisted on the one below...

post-237-1190535242_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys,

David.

mate awsome stuff..im headed down there next weekend...might go hunting for some of the critters

Well done on your efforts there :thumbup:

I am heading down to 7 mile beach next weekend for a week of camping and fishing.

I will be using the same rig that you used David and hopefully I can catch a few salmon and tailor.

There is a heap of pipies on the beach there and I will be using them to try and get some bream and whitting of the beach also.

Hi mottyman

What an awesome rig that proved to be!!!

What a great idea for a manufactured rig. Do you buy them like that or buy the lures and rig them up yourself the way you think would be the best on the day.

Thanks David

Hey Jewgaffer,

Mate, you buy the feather jig (surf popper) and tie it on the paternosta rig you tie yourself. Watto sold me some gang hooks with little ball bearing swivels joining the hooks as well - just the ticket. I tie the paternosta and put the pillie on the bottom loop and the popper on the top loop.

And... the best part is... you get two poppers in a pack for a few bucks..... :thumbup:

Watto is a very helpful guy.... :biggrin2:

Rzep, the beach is awsome... big gutters in close, it's hard to know which gutter to fish...

CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you mate!!!! How's things over there??? Shouldn't be too long until you're making us all jealous with pics of nice snapper and kings.

How's the tinnie... still going strong I trust.

Good to hear from ya. :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

Well done on your efforts there :thumbup:

I am heading down to 7 mile beach next weekend for a week of camping and fishing.

I will be using the same rig that you used David and hopefully I can catch a few salmon and tailor.

There is a heap of pipies on the beach there and I will be using them to try and get some bream and whitting of the beach also.

top stuff mate..might run into you down there

Hey Jewgaffer,

Mate, you buy the feather jig (surf popper) and tie it on the paternosta rig you tie yourself. Watto sold me some gang hooks with little ball bearing swivels joining the hooks as well - just the ticket. I tie the paternosta and put the pillie on the bottom loop and the popper on the top loop.

And... the best part is... you get two poppers in a pack for a few bucks..... :thumbup:

Watto is a very helpful guy.... :biggrin2:

Rzep, the beach is awsome... big gutters in close, it's hard to know which gutter to fish...

CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you mate!!!! How's things over there??? Shouldn't be too long until you're making us all jealous with pics of nice snapper and kings.

How's the tinnie... still going strong I trust.

Good to hear from ya. :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Thanks David while you've got Clutch Cargo ( the perfect name for a Kiwi seafarer and Clutch Cargo's photo looks great and amazingly like a typical New Zealand mariner to me!). Ask Clutch if he ties the kiwi longliners knot? No risk they learned that knot from the Greek kiwis ay, clutch.

Cheers mottyman and good on you Clutch Cargo and keep hanging on there mate, we need you, you're a great ambassador!

Well done Mottyman

Ihope that one of the kids didn't catch that Sambo and you bought it from them as your own :tease:

Nice fish mate and great to see families fishing together geez that water musta been cold.

Your tin lids sure are keen mate :biggrin2:

Russ

Jeez, what is this... Andy isn' the only one in my family who can catch fish y'know... every now and then I manage one as well.... :074:

The kids would break the ice to go swimming mate - they're very keen. That pic was actually taken on the Friday, not Saturday during the screaming southerly. Still, they wanted to swim on Saturday in the cold wind anyway... I put a stop to that... :074:

Thanks guys....

Dave.

Guest MRS WATTO

Great report there Dave, and great pics.

Great to see kids enjoying their weekend away.

I am sure those poppers will be a very hot item this week. WATTO has another 100 of those poppers coming in this week.