Giant Herring

offchops

HI RAIDERS TODAY WE HEADED OUT TO TRY OUR LUCK SWELL WAS UP A BIT AND AFTER AN HOUR OF BOUNCIN AROUND WITH NO LUCK AT ALL WE HIT THE ESTUARY WITHIN TEN MINS BOTH REELS STARTED SCREAMIN THEN THE FISH STARTED JUMPING AROUND ALOT MORE THAN A SALMON WE GOT IT IN THE BOAT NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE I THINK IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A GIANT HERRING DO THEY COME DOWN AS FAR AS CENTRAL COAST? (LET IT GO AND DIDNT TAKE CAMERA TODAY IT WAS ABOUT 4KG AND PUT UP A HELL OF A FIGHT GOING BACK NEXT WEEK TRY TO GET A PHOTO)

Found a half dead Giant Hearing washed up at Patonga many years ago and a mate found one up at Woy Woy in the same condition along time ago also ,both times in winter. Certainly a possibility there Offchops.

Shame it got away,

HI BLACKFISH IT DIDNT GET AWAY JUST DIDNT GET PHOTO DO U KNOW IF U CAN EAT THEM

Mate this is a Giant Herring

post-219-1190547642_thumb.jpg

They are meant to fight like crazy, zig zagging all over the place. I have read reports of anglers thinking that the one fish was two or three, disillusioned by how fast they are!

ps Why are you screaming?

hi keenist thanks 4 the photo that is the same as what i pulled in yesterday . it was the reels screamin . can u eat these fish

HI BLACKFISH IT DIDNT GET AWAY JUST DIDNT GET PHOTO DO U KNOW IF U CAN EAT THEM

Sorry misread your post. Thats great going on landing that fish.

Andy Mitchell summed them up, full of bones and you did the right thing and let it go.

Congratulations on such a unusual fish and its release.

B.F.