Two Baits, One Fish Took Both

gregr2

Hi all

Went out for blackies today fishing with two baits about 25 cm apart. Couldnt believe one fish would take two baits so hard, and swallow both hooks. Suppose it saved the second hook getting tangled in the landing net as it usually does. Has any one else had a similar thing happen?

[sounds like youve got the ideal spot across the road :yahoo:

he proberly took the 2 baits in a frenzy if you were burleying

roberta fishes with 2 hooks and may have experienced the 2 hook hookup

peter :1fishing1:

No burley... seem to avarage a bite about every 10 mins if they are on fhe chew...do you think burley would help?

Moonset,

if the spot you are fishing is the one i think it is then burley will help a great deal as it will hold the fish in the area, also is the weed your getting from a certain creek not far from said spot cause if so there reason the fish are holed up in the area and your using little or no burley is the fact the weed is washing out of a nearby outlet creating a natraul food source for them hence the fish will hang around. Burley will just get them on the chew harder (refer to my monday post on burley)

As for the two hooks they are probably the right distance apart i fish two hooks about 8 inches apart, the theory is the fish takes the bottom hook on the rise and grabs the top one then swims off, had it happen many many times over the years, we have had the one fish grab 3 hooks before two of mine and one of Dads. They can go into a frenzy and gorge themselves, you should see them when they surf in side on over cabbage covered ledges for a feed in a line like a lawn mower crazy stuff!

hi moonset

i have over the years had the ol 2 hook one fish scene(i nearly always use 2 hooks) but the funniest one was when me and the ol man were tied with a couple fish each when at the end of the day we both got ripper downs and you guessed it... both hooked the same bloody fish. was a real ripper,fish of the day... well even my cousin couldnt split it as to who hooked it first...was very comical... im very competitive so was not backing down...makes me laugh to think we both hooked it and floats were not real close either... but gee the down was like a rocket.....

burly helps to keep them on the chew or in target zone.. but dont feed them,you want to tempt them into your bait....

hi royce,

thats amazing seeing them feed of the stones like that.... i remember seeing em as a kid eating the top edges of the platform on a rising tide and swell and the odd ones would get washed onto platform by the bigger waves and didnt deter them as they were in a feeding frenzy.... we were not using floats that time as they were so thick on the surface.... wish i had a vid cam back then...fishing sure was a lot different eh... then again i dont get out nowhere near as much these days..... steve

Edited by roosterman

Moonset,

if the spot you are fishing is the one i think it is then burley will help a great deal as it will hold the fish in the area, also is the weed your getting from a certain creek not far from said spot cause if so there reason the fish are holed up in the area and your using little or no burley is the fact the weed is washing out of a nearby outlet creating a natraul food source for them hence the fish will hang around. Burley will just get them on the chew harder (refer to my monday post on burley)

As for the two hooks they are probably the right distance apart i fish two hooks about 8 inches apart, the theory is the fish takes the bottom hook on the rise and grabs the top one then swims off, had it happen many many times over the years, we have had the one fish grab 3 hooks before two of mine and one of Dads. They can go into a frenzy and gorge themselves, you should see them when they surf in side on over cabbage covered ledges for a feed in a line like a lawn mower crazy stuff!

Hi thanks for the feedback.. Im actually no where near an outlet or creek(although I do know the one you speak of down around the corner about 3km from where I fish) and I have had most sucess on cabbage collected on the coast.. greg

Ps roosterman ,the double hookup with your dad sounds like one of those special moments that make it all worth while, what a moment to share with your dad!!!!!!

Yes have seen the cabbage mowed short like that but never witnessed the mowing. They do a good job..would be something to see.

Edited by moonset

i had a double hook up on a small mako when fishing with skunga off lion island one time, i was fishing a whole fillet of talior and skunga had the rest of the tailor on his line, both were under floats and separated by at least 10M of water

The little mako (bout 3ft long) swallowed both hooks and baits .. which was lucky for me coz he eventually chewed through skungas leader (100lb) and i ended up with the catch :)